Wedding Woes
Options

wow, parenting at it's finest...

http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_3504336.html?menu=news.quirkiesDoctor's shock at four-year-old smoker A Chinese doctor has spoken of his shock to discover that a four-year-old boy is already a heavy smoker. Dong Dong, of Banqiao village, near Feidong town in eastern China's Anhui province, has reportedly been smoking since he was just two. His family, who run a grocery store, say they have been unable to stop him from stealing cigarettes, reports the Jianghuai Morning Post. Doctor Zhang Gong, from Anhui Provincial Children's Hospital, said it was shocking to see such a young child embrace such a dangerous habit. "From the way the boy smokes and his posture, he looks to have had a long history of smoking even though he is so young," he said. Dong lives with his grandparents, who run the shop, because his parents are migrant workers in another city. They say he started smoking by mimicking adults. "When he needs cigarettes, he just takes them from the house or steals a pack from the store. We just can't seem to stop him," said Dong's grandmother. They say Dong, who reportedly also drinks alcohol, learned to walk and talk later than other children of the same age in the village.

Re: wow, parenting at it's finest...

• Options
    Have they never heard of beating your kid?
  • Options
    They say Dong, who reportedly also drinks alcohol, learned to walk and talk later than other children of the same age in the village.No? Really?And the "we cant stop him" argument might fly for a 17 year old, definitely not for a four year old.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I am also stuck on "takes them from the house".  Maybe if you have this problem with your kid, you might want to quit smoking yourself, no?
  • Options
    but it's China...so the idea that smoking is bad hasn't caught on--gotta be a contributing factorHell, there was a province where a great deal of the revenue came from cigarette taxes that, for a while last year, was requiring people to purchase $x worth of tobacco every month.
  • Options
    You'd think that with all the scientists and doctors that come out of there, they wouldn't be smoking like that.
  • Options
    true but rural china isn't exactly up to par...That and the government more-or-less FINALLY says smoking is bad...but also says free speech is bad.  So I have to imagine the PSAs hold less weight
  • Options
    I'm going to hell because I can't stop giggling at this photo.

I just a friendly gal looking for options.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    but it's China... + You'd think that with all the scientists and doctors that come out of there = you both look like ignoranuses.
  • Options
    How is that ignorant?  This building alone is stuffed to the gills with cancer researchers from China.
  • Options
    This building alone is stuffed to the gills with cancer researchers from China. and the other billion chinese on the planet are the exact same as the few that you know.
  • Options
    *rolling eyes*You're looking for things to be offended about.  The fact is, China isn't some third world country that hasn't caught up to the rest of the world in science and technology. 
  • Options
    yeah, because acknowledging that the Chineese g'vt hasn't addressed smoking and that it's as culturally acceptable to smoke in China now as it was to smoke in the US in the 40's is DEFINITELY ignorant of me.I couldn't POSSIBLY really know WTF I'm talking about.http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06123/686910-294.stmhttp://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/216998.stmhttp://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2009/0505/1224245943477.html(the article about them trying to require tobacco purchases that I mentioned)China is the most smoke-filled nation in the world, the largest consumer and producer of tobacco. Its 350 million smokers account for a third of the world's total. The country produces 42 per cent of all cigarettes on the planet. Sixty percent of all males over 15 smoke. (Only 4 per cent of all women.) About 1.2 million of the 5 million people in the world who die annually of smoking-related diseases are ChineseBut, yeah, knowing that is apparently ignorant?
  • Options
    I must be starting to see the light, because hmo's point is obvious even to me.

• Options
    Really?  I usually see hmo's point, but this time IMO she doesn't have much of one. 
  • Options
    maybe it's something you'll understand when you're asian.
  • Options
    please tell me WW isn't trying to be PC enough to pretend that cultural differences don't frickin exist.It's not a slam on Chinese people.  It's acknowledging that there's a different cultural 'norm' in China than there is here.
  • Options
    I think they are, GBCK.  I think we may have reached this point.
  • Options
    actually, my specific issue is seeing odd behaviour by a specific person and then attributing it to cultural reasons, rather than this damn kid just being a brat.oddly, you are now taking my reaction to this one post and now attributing it to the entire board.
  • Options
    *head tilt* "It's China" was in response to my suggesting that the parents quit smoking, and the doctors and scientists comment was in response to the "it's China" point of smoking still being widely accepted there. 
  • Options
    I'm w/ Kuus' head tilt.There's a context for the comments--No one said the kid smoked because he's ChineeseYou read the posts from top to bottom.  Starts with a story.  Kuus says  "they should quit,duh" (paraphrase, obviously)  got a response pointing out the cultural differences.The response pointing out the cultural differences got a response pointing out that the education system rawks, so WTF is up w/ the cultural differences.(and, yeah, when people chime in w/ agreement, I do tend to attribute it to the board in general.)So, yeah, I'm side-eying your side eye because it was a discussion that was post that was spinning off into a different discussion, not something strange here.
  • Options
    Is a side-eye of a side-eye a back-eye?
  • Options
    i'm betting anhui isn't exactly some educational powerhouse.i read this as very -this is crazy, amirite?-yes!!-well, you know those wacky chinese, with their smoking and book learning.
  • Options
    that may be how you read it but, re-reading it, do you STILL read it taht way?Because I certainly don't appreciate the least charitable interpretation (of what can easily be read as a legitimate discussion) being applied.
  • Options
    It was more like:-You know those wacky Chinese with their cultural stuffs.-But what about their wacky book learning?  It's like oil and water.-(in unison) How can the two combine to make a smoking baby?  Help us understand this, Asian Woman.  You're our only hope.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards