African American Weddings

WHAT IT MEANS...

I'd like to know what this board means to you? What does this board DO for you? To me, this board is a place I can come and just chill. It's like a cyber bookstore, cyber club, and cyber cocktail room all in one. I can chill out and just read posts, I can come in and talk slang and have errbody understand, or I can get cyber drunk off Pink Panty Droppers and my all time fave - Crown and coke. I don't know of any other board where I can hook up with a bunch a sistas, snapp my fingers, or say "baaaaby" and KNOW the other chics are reading it just like I'm saying it. I get to really speak my mind and be understood. It means alot to be understood. No one has to agree with what um saying, just understand where I'm coming from. This board is also a sounding board. I can come in and vent, be told off, or be coddled and told "u right girl". I can post a pic of P and I and know no one has anything negative to say about our union. I can talk about my belly rolls UN self consciously and laugh about it. I am comfortable being laughed AT. We are the truth y'all. Now say "thank ya" like Brown says it.

Re: WHAT IT MEANS...

• OFFOFF
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    This is board is like my group of girls. When this crap with Swiss Cheese went down this is the place I immediately thought to come and discuss. I come here to laugh, to say no she didn't just say that! I come here for the sisterhood. So often it's lacking in our lives and often we aren't nice to each other. But you girls have always been supportive and most importantly honest. I come here because cat is crazy! There is no other board where people share so honestly and deeply. Where we rally around each other. We make each other cry laugh and occassionally spit our coffee out at the screen. You guys rock and one day will probably get me fired.
  • edited December 2011
    I agree with what Cat said. This is a sounding board for me, emotional support, laughter when I need it, but most importantly the ability to meet other women who feel that there weddings are the most important right now, because as it has been said before you know other folks in your life could give a darn about your wedding day. Out of the other boards I frequent this is the one where I feel that we are genuinely sister friends and there isn't any craziness going on. You guys dont flat out criticize and degrade eachother when we post something. Now don't get me wrong if we are acting crazy we will let eachother know in a sisterly fashion but it doesn't get nasty like other boards to the point where one wants to stop posting all together. Besides I can get therapy from you guys with no co-pay. Yall know I'm getting married and aint got no ends! LOL
  • missevansmissevans member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    This board meant the difference between sanity and the loony bin around the end part of my planning.  This board gave me the support and sisterhood that I found was lacking in most of my planning.  This board gave me ideas, helped me to relax, and offered me a much needed reprieve from the stresses outside of the board.  If we ever decide to have an AAW get-together, just know that I'm willing to travel to give hugs to those who were such a great help!Oh yeah, me and Cat have to polish off a bottle of crown :-)Now, this board is where I go to pass on my wedding knowledge and learn marital wisdom from those that crossed the nuptial threshhold before me. Its where I go to remind myself that there are people who don't even know me that are rooting for my happiness and success.  Its also a place where I come to offer the same type of cyber love and support that I've received to make sure that we all stay encouraged.  This board is MY favorite place
  • ddyoungddyoung member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Like DST said - yall are free therapy! lol But seriously this board is like my go-to for all things wedding and even when it doesn't have to do with wedding stuff - WHY? because I know yall will be honest with me.  Unlike family or friends who have their own interests and who can sometimes take a relationship for granted, you ladies can be completely objective, just listen to the facts, and be REAL about it. We can agree to disagree and thats OK.  While we all share certain ideas - the fact that we are all different is what makes this board a bookmark on my blackberry.  I think it's SOOO crazy how well our personalities show through on this board.  I LOVE IT!Oh and just like the other day when I was having some trouble I knew you ladies would be there for me.  I truly believe in the power of prayer and I honestly felt like I had a covering over me that day.  Sometimes its hard because you wanna keep family out your business - but being able to go to you was like an added life line. THANK YA!
  • edited December 2011
    Although I took a mini break...with school, work and everything. You gals aren't phony or pretenders or clickish. I appreciate your honesty on here and that is very rare on boards. All of my girlfriends are in other states and its easy for me to just get on here and post a pic of something or ask for suggestions and get an immediate response. Though we all have busy lives outside of wedding planning, there is a geniuness about this board.I love getting & sharing ideas. Especially because I have no clue where to begin and FI's aunt is doing most of the planning. I just began incorporating my own idea that I have been inspired with from you ladies. This is the only time I can really think about any wedding stuff...at work.
  • edited December 2011
    hmmm, Cat & Off pretty much touched on er'thang for me with regards to what this board means to me.  There are times when family and friends "just don't get it" and that's when I come here.  There are times when I don't even feel like being bothered (that's the Cancer in me) but I log on to TK, and a AAW knottie would have posted something crazy as hayle which made me feel 10x better.  It is my cyber fix for all things girly and all things wedding but it's also a great place for me to be ME and not feel as though I have to filter my comments or posts because someone is gonna take offense to what I have to say because they don't really understand "my point of view".  This board has challenged me to really get healthy about my weight because so many of our AAW knotties made the same change in their lives to be healthier too and were successful and honest about the process.  Most importantly this board has been my cashmere shirt whenever I needed comfronting, so I'm always glad I found it!  :)
  • edited December 2011
    Glad to know I'm not the only one feeling all sisterly towards y'all. Ok...i've given the board a theme song. Errbody put'cha hands up and sang it wit me: WE ARE THE WOOOOORL, WE ARE THE CHILDRENNN. WE ARE THE ONES TO MAKE BRIGHTER DAY SO LET'S START GIVINNNNN. Y'all play too much!
  • apiffanynowapiffanynow member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Wow! this is a good post cat!  Throughout my wedding planning process I have learned that weddings (like funerals) can bring out the best and worst in people.  People that I thought would be there for me have not and those that I always knew would be there for me have not. I have also learned that no one else is as excited and happy about your day as you are...and really don't care to hear about it everyday.  They may ask you how the wedding planning is going, but I'm never really sure if they mean it... It could be like when you say to someone How are you? ( You dont' really want to know the details, your just asking to be cordial.) But when I come to this board... I feel like everyone takes a genuine interests in my thoughts and ideas. Not too mention all the really good advice and laughs everyone gives to each other.  There are even some I consider resident experts (Cat, Alf, Off, )  I started out on other boards and eventually made this one home.  I agree with Cat it is a sisterhood and at the end of the day it feels good to have a group of women that you can count on.  Hell sometimes I share stuff with ya'll that I dont even tell my best friends!  So thank you ladies for all your advice, honesty, laughs and tears, and being good listners!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    DAYUM DAYUM DAYUM!! TK HATES ME!! I just spent 10 min typing out what yall mean to me only for it to dissappear... UGHHHH... here's the most important part cuz I aint typing all that ovaDitto!! This board gives me hope and faith in our people.  Women of color will step on, step ova, stab and cut the next just to get ova or feel better about themselves... Not here tho, we have a genuine love for each and will uplift, preach, welcome and help each other the best way we can!! This board is my haven!! I may change my screen name so no one can google and find me here!!lol!
  • PressMePressMe member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    This board is my inspiration. I make comments here or there, but you all answer questions before I can even ask them. Plus, the comedy relief is priceless!!! Keep it coming ladies.
  • edited December 2011
    What this board means to me? Hmmmm... this is like a kindred sisterhood. I really love being here. Almost everyone on this board is helpful, always have an encouraging word and help in every way they can. You and sincere and real when you lend a helping hand. I like the realness of it all and I love that we can come here vent, rant and rave and before it is all over with, we walk away feeling good with the advice given to handle any situation. This is why I stay here. I have bonded personally with most of you, but for those who I am not so close with, I still consider you my sistah. I am glad we have this board and ladies YES we do have the hottest board on here! Thank you ladies for being my extended family.
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    DAMMIT, I just love yalll!! LOL
  • edited December 2011
    What this board means to me is an I-sisterhood, a place where i can get comfy and talk smack, without leaving the house, I dont have to worry about driving and parking, lol.  But really we have a great bond here, whether it be planning advice, "oh no she didn't's" whatever...I heart you hookers!!!
  • edited December 2011
    This board is sanity to me. It's a chill party, card party, chit talkin homegirl hang out. I'm an only child, and pretty much quiet, but on here I can be myself. My FI says I should meet you all b/c he never heard me laugh so hard and not be around family. It's very true that sista's have a universal voice....and this board means that not all black women are toothless, ragged, broke down  ghetto girls that we see all too much (although I do believe there is a bit of "black girl" in all of us).This board means faith in black women to me the most. I can't tell you how much I've been hurt, betrayed, and disrespected. Thank you sista's for helping me appreciate my worth!
  • edited December 2011
    Lovie< Passing tissue and salty snacks!!!
  • edited December 2011
    To me this board is a place where I can come and be me without being judged. You all are like the sisters I don't have. I value each and everyone of y'all opinions. I know I can come here and talk about my wedding and you guys don't get annoyed with me. I've learned so much from you all about weddings, love and life in general!!! I heart you heffa's!!!!!!
  • edited December 2011
    I love this board because like others have said in pp's this is home. I get excited about everyone's big day and since I never was in a sorority, I feel like I belong with a group of women like myself. I just love being here and I am glad I have gotten to know people.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards