Louisiana-New Orleans
Options

How to change name in NOLA?

I've been married for a few months, but I'm just getting around to changing my name. One website says just to bring your marriage license to the DMV and they'll do it there. Is this true? I've tried to call the DMV (number disconnected) and email them (the link to the email address via the website doesn't work). How did you change your name? Is it as easy as taking the marriage license to the DMV?

Re: How to change name in NOLA?

• Options
    meganfauermeganfauer member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I changed my name in FL but for the DMV all you have to do is bring your certified copy of your marriage licensee and then your old drivers license and they will change it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    skatoryskatory member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm told I'll have to do social security for uncle sam and passport so it will match my drivers licence when I travel. I think it'll be the same info needed by the DMV. Let us know how it goes! LOL!
  • Options
    skatoryskatory member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm not in Louisiana so it could be different, maybe not because it's federal..right?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    to officially change your name, you take your marriage license to the DMV, you will have to fill out a form, they will change it and take a new picture, and then you take it to the Social Security Office...in no particular order.  Then you will need to send a certified copy of your marriage cert with the application form to get a new passport. And then go about changing your name with all of your credit cards, student loans, etc.You do not need your DL and passport names to match. When you travel internationally you just use your passport. So whatever travel you book must be booked in the name that is on your passport.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards