Ohio-Columbus

Need HELP choosing MOG/MOB outfits!

So the wedding is still 7+ months away, but one of the tasks that I am going to have problems with is helping choose outfits for the moms.  I know most mothers probably wear a dress, but neither of our mothers ever really wear dresses.My question is this - does anyone know where we can look for pant suits or some other non-dress option?  It is a formal church wedding so it can't be supercasual wear.TIA!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Need HELP choosing MOG/MOB outfits!

• Stackeye210Stackeye210 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Check out local department stores.........macy's, Nordstroms, JC Penney.  They have a pretty nice selection of formal dresses for the mom's.  My mom is not the kind to wear dresses, but she got the prettiest dress from Macy's and looked fabulous walking me down the aisle. 
  • edited December 2011
    My mom got hers at JCPenny
  • egeigeregeiger member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Just a heads up. They are not a part of the wedding party, so please don't force them into an outfit. They have no "requirements" and they are grown ups, so they get to pick whatever they feel best in.   As for options for pant suits, Macys has a lot of nice things and going into the winter, I imagine you will find lots of dept. stores with good stuff.   Good luck!
    Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    FYI I did not mean to imply that I am FORCING anyone to wear anything specific.  I have been asked by both mothers to help them choose something and I was just asking for suggestions as to where they may start looking for something.  Sorry if I came across as bridezillaish.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I'd say that you could definitely try the department stores. One other option you could tell them is to wait til around holiday time - a lot of other stores start carrying 'party' wear, and one place I'm thinking of is Coldwater Creek, or even J.Jill. I'm sure they'll find something fabulous!
  • edited December 2011
    Ours is in May and my FMIL has been asking about what to wear since June! I agree that you're not forcing anyone to wear something specific, but you also have every right to discuss YOUR preferences with them. My philosophy is that they will be in your wedding pictures too, and those pictures will last forever, so your moms should look just as good as the bridal party. My mom originally insisted on wearing a short black dress to our formal Spring wedding, and his mom wants to again wear a short dress- which to me, we wanted formal and that kind of takes it down a notch. But anyway, I am compromising with both in that they can wear shorter (not mini, mind you) dresses, his mom will be wearing a shade of blue and my mom can wear gray instead of black (our colors are Tiffany blue and pewter gray). (Maybe I can still get them in a long dress...) So in short, you should have a say in how you want them to look for the day. I don't know what your colors are, but I have seen some beautiful dresses for moms at Nordstrom and Saks. Most stores should have their winter party collections out by now. Happy shopping!
  • gibsonkkgibsonkk member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Macy's @ Tuttle has a great dress department!! They always have more of a selection then the other locations - no idea why! Department stores will be more seasonal though... probably stocked w/ dresses for winter/holiday parties right now. Might start looking in Feb-March for spring things...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards