South Asian Weddings

kobbari/kobri/khobri????

Hi if you know what a Kobri is you are proabably south indian lol! My mom suddenky decided she wanted to have these at the wedding. We live in CA does anyone know where I can get these or have them shipped from somewhere in the US? My cousin is coming from Bombay but he was told it would spoil since he is coming 4-5 days prior to the wedding.THANKS!

Re: kobbari/kobri/khobri????

• Meghana55Meghana55 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Kobri as in coconut?  Are you referring to coconut IN something (mithai, ladoo, etc.) or actual coconuts?  Actual coconuts should be easy find (indian grocery store for sure, and most likely a regular american store).  If you're referring to it being IN something, we had kobri ladoo brought from India.  My family made sure to pack it properly so that they didn't break and it was fine.  Family came a week early and we stored everything in the basement.  Everything held up perfectly. 
  • SmithaandMikeSmithaandMike member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I guess my Mom said in Karnataka (where I am from) that they usually write "love" "trust" "happiness" and the bride and grooms name, it's carved in to the coconut and looks really nice I guess. I have never seen an example.
  • Meghana55Meghana55 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're also from karnataka :-) Ok, I know what you're talking about now.  We didn't have things written on them, but they had images carved into them.  Like this...http://tinyurl.com/yd96g8b We also had the ones that were made into little statues, like this...http://tinyurl.com/ycqgj4z I'm not sure where you could get them here though.  Ours came from India.  My mom brought some of them back with her from her January trip to India (wedding was in May), and our family brought more when they arrived 1 week before the wedding.  I'm not sure how they were stored, but they were completely fine when we used them the day before/day of.  Part of the tradition was to give them to my DH's family and I went to their house a few weeks after the wedding and MIL still had them out and they were perfectly fine.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards