New Jersey

Anyone use a non wedding DJ

Anyone have thoughts on using a club kind of DJ instead of a DJ that does mostly weddings?

Re: Anyone use a non wedding DJ

• Amerz20Amerz20 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    No never considered it. Only because we wanted wedding type of music. We did not want the club type of wedding. I guess it depends on the couple. We had a lot of elderly people who wouldn't enjoy that. We wanted a mix of everything. Probably a club type of dj wouldn't be able to give us.
  • edited December 2011
    good point, we have an older crowd also.  But I would think that if he is good, he would get that too.
  • Amerz20Amerz20 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    As long as the DJ can do exactly what you want him to do I would say go for it. Especially if its in your budget. I just think that wedding djs have more experience with wedding and can tell the way your wedding is going. I know that the DJ played MJ at our wedding and no one danced. He told me he adjusted our music based on that. I would hope the non wedding dj would be able to adjust that too. If that makes sense.
  • edited December 2011
    Our Band Leader which in your case would be the DJ worked side by side with the reception staff to make sure everything flowed smoothly. he lined us up for the entrance, he announced dances and speeches, he picked a good time for cake cutting. I wouldn't think someone who hasn't worked a few weddings would have done all this so seamlessly. We got a few compliments from guests about how smoothly the evening went.
  • edited December 2011
    Ditto Einat
  • edited December 2011
    I was going to go with a club type dj, he had great recs from friends, then I found out his prices and almost died.  He was almost double.They can do what you need them to do, you would just need to specify like with anyone what you want.
  • real dealreal deal member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We strongly considered a non-wedding DJ but finally opted against it for the same reasons Einat pointed out.
  • drod58drod58 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm using a club DJ.  DJ Bebo.  This past Saturday he also did my niece's Sweet 15th and we had a blast. He plays wathever music you want.  That dance floor was packed the entire night.  I loved it.  He had a mix of music for every taste.For private events he charges $450, but I got it for a little less because he is a friend.
  • uppereastgirluppereastgirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Well-- why are you looking to do it?  Depending on what you're looking to accomplish by doing it, it could be a good or bad idea. 
  • edited December 2011
    Mine *was* a club DJ back in his youth. Now he's got a wife and 2 kids, so he does weddings ;-)DJ Gaza, fyi
  • FutureMrsF111FutureMrsF111 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We considered it. FI is good friends with a few club DJs and if we were having our wedding at a less formal place we probably would have gone that route. Our main problem was my mom's desire for live music. FYI the DJs in consideration were DJ Unique, Johnny FX and Show Boat.
  • edited December 2011
    i can't imgaine how much a club dj would cost...i mean, my friend is a club dj for 103.5 and he gets paid big bucks to spin at clubs.
  • edited December 2011
    to eliminate that factor, for arguments sake, let's assume cost is actually the same or cheaper for a club DJ
  • FutureMrsF111FutureMrsF111 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It comes down to personal preference. I would imagine a club DJ knows how to get people dancing and act as an MC during the wedding so it just a matter of what you are hoping to achieve by using one instead of traditional wedding DJ. Like I said before, if we used a DJ it would have been a club DJ but that is just what I prefer.
  • edited December 2011
    upper east, not trying to accomplish anything, but a friend of the family is a somewhat famous club dj, but I am worried that if I talk to him about it, that he will offer to do it and then how can I decline....
  • edited December 2011
    brad~ i honestly can't imgaine a semi famous dj charging less than a wedding dj. it jsut doesn't make sense~ this "dj" could perform at a club and make 6-8k at least.
  • edited December 2011
    I'm dittoing Just Jen.  My dj used to do clubs on a regular basis and now still does them on occasion as he has kids.  I'd worry more about the MC'ing and volume of a club dj.
  • edited December 2011
    Is it Jonathan Peters? I go to vegas to see him..LOL
  • edited December 2011
    i love jp~ awww, the good ol times at the factory!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards