Not Engaged Yet

Totally NWR: Better Than Protein Shakes...

Not to hijack mermadison's apology to her body, I noticed that some of the ladies here are on diets, attempting to lose weight, or just trying to adopt a healthier lifestyle. In the spirit of dreamingblue's blog swap, anyone interested in swapping healthy or diet-friendly recipes, post here!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

"Oceana swings from logical to anus punching." - Buttons

Planning / Married / Blog

Re: Totally NWR: Better Than Protein Shakes...

• edited December 2011
    I figure I'll start this round off...this recipe sounds like a lot of work, but once you've done it once, it will be a pretty quick and easy meal (under 30 min). Also a great one to cook with your BF/FI. Just had these last night...mmmmmmm!Asian Turkey Burgers & Onion Rings2 Jenni-O Extra Lean Turkey Burgers2 hamburger or sandwich buns1/2-3/4 cup Soy Vay Veri Veri Teriyaki Marinade1/4 cup shredded Jarlsberg Lite cheeseBaby greens1/3 cup sliced baby portabella mushrooms1/3 cup sliced sweet yellow onion (leftovers from onion rings)1 tsp low sodium soy sauce1 sweet yellow onion1 1/2 cup Special K Cereal3/4 cup white flour1 tbsp Soy Vay Veri Veri Teriyaki Marinade1 tbsp low sodium soy sauce3 egg whitesOlive oil cooking spray1/2 cup light or lowfat mayo1/2 tbsp low sodium soy sauce1/2 tbsp Soy Vay Veri Veri Teriyaki1/2 tbsp minced garlic1. Marinade turkey burgers in teriyaki sauce for at least 2-3 hours to pick up flavor.2. To set up for onion rings, preheat oven to 400F and spray flat cookie/baking dish with olive oil spray. Pour flour onto dinner plate. Crumble up Special K into "breading" and pour on second plate. Whisk together egg whites, teriyaki sauce, and soy sauce in a bowl. Slice onion into rings approximately 1/2 inch thick and seperate individual rings.3. To make onion rings, dredge rings through flour, dip in egg mixture, then coat with cereal mix. Arrange on tray so no rings are touching (they'll stick together later), and spray a very brief, light mist of oil spray over tops of rings. 4. Bake rings in oven for 10 minutes, remove from oven and flip. Bake for an additional 10 minutes. Rings will come out with breading crispy and browned.5. Half hamburger buns and toast in oven until edges just begin to brown. Remove from oven and place on dinner plates.6. Stirfry mushrooms, onions, and 1 tsp soy sauce for 3-4 minutes, or until softened. Remove from heat and distribute between two buns. 7. Whisk mayo, teriyaki sauce, soy sauce, and garlic together in plastic container. Spread approx. 1/2-1 tbsp (depending on taste) on each bun top (any remainder will keep in the fridge for several weeks).8. Fry or grill turkey burgers for approximately 10 minutes, flipping every 2-3 minutes. Add shredded cheese and allow to melt. Remove from heat and place on buns. Top with sprinkle of baby greens, and bun top (with mushrooms/onions and mayo). Serving: 1 burger and approx. 6-7 onion ringsOnion Rings (6): 108 cals / 1 g fat / 20 g carb / 5 g proteinTurkey Burger: 284 cals / 7 g fat / 16 g carb / 40 g proteinOne recommendation - if you have Publix grocery stores where you are at, they make amazing French Hamburger buns - light and airy, taste like french bread, only in bun form, and they toast up beautifully in the oven.

• edited December 2011
    FI and I recently made Noodles with Roast Pork and Almond Sauce.  Delicious! Here's the recipe: http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=1924698We added more chili garlic sauce because we like our food spicier.  And we omitted the mint because, well, I hate mint.  We had ground ginger paste sitting around, and that is a nice substitute for fresh ginger, and it will keep longer in the fridge. If you don't like (or can't find) almond butter, then peanut butter will work just as well.
  • edited December 2011
    Mmmmm, I love almond butter...definitely going to have to try that! :) Thanks Noelle!

• edited December 2011
    I have no recipes to share but keep em coming.  Oh and onion rings with only 100 calories?  I think I love you.
    TTC since 07/11 Me: 32 AO PCOS/DH: 32 Lowish count/motility IUI#1-3 = BFN (Clomid, Clomid-->Femara, Injects) IVF#1 ER on 9/24 19 ER/19 M/9 F w/ICSI Transferred a 5AA and a 5BB on 9/29 Beta 10/9 = 139 Beta 10/11 = 287
    imageimageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

My Blog

• edited December 2011
    Another good one to try...Smore Popcorn Bars1 bag Pop Secret 94% Fat Free Kettle Korn1 cup mini marshmallows1 cup milk chocolate chips2 tbsp Promise Light Spread1. Pop popcorn. Transfer popped corn into large mixing bowl, careful to remove any unpopped kernels.2. In a small saucepan, melt Promise spread. Add mini marshmallows and stir constantly until marshmallows are melted and mallow/butter mixture is smooth.3. Pour mixture over popcorn and mix well, scraping mixture off bottom of bowl as you fold. Popcorn should be well coated. 4. Add chocolate chips and fold in until chips are mixed in well, and JUST beginning to melt.5. Spray bottom and sides of a rectangular or square baking dish (flexible silicon dishes are best, but glass will work as well) with butter spray. Pour in popcorn mixture and press into bottom and corners of dish until mixture is evenly spread. 6. Refridgerate for 3-4 hours, or until relatively solid. Remove block and place on cutting board and cut into squares. Serves 20-25, depending on how you cut.Each serving is approx. 75 cals, 1 g fat.

• edited December 2011
    The popcorn bars sounds too tempting!  Serves 20-25?  More like serves two fat kids who just want "one more."
    TTC since 07/11 Me: 32 AO PCOS/DH: 32 Lowish count/motility IUI#1-3 = BFN (Clomid, Clomid-->Femara, Injects) IVF#1 ER on 9/24 19 ER/19 M/9 F w/ICSI Transferred a 5AA and a 5BB on 9/29 Beta 10/9 = 139 Beta 10/11 = 287
    imageimageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

My Blog

• edited December 2011
    Lol, NQB, you'd be surprised. At least for me, 1-2 squares is enough to fend off my chocolate craving about 3 weeks out of every month. That last week, I just make the BF hide them, or I'd plow through them like a snowplow on Christmas.

• edited December 2011
    ps. noelle, where would you find chili garlic sauce? I've never heard of it...(seriously tempted to make this tonight when I get home from TA-ing, lol)

• desertsundesertsun member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Haven't made this one yet, but it sounds delish!Pumpkin Spice No-Bake CheesecakeServings: 8 • Size: 1 piece • Time: 10 minutes • Calories: 239 • Points: 5.25 ww points7 oz 1/3 less fat Philadelphia Cream Cheese1/2 cup pureed pumpkin (canned is fine)1 tsp vanilla1 tsp cinnamon1 tsp pumpkin pie spice1/4 cup brown sugar, unpacked8 oz Cool Whip Free, thawed9 inch reduced fat Graham Cracker CrustIn a large bowl using an electric mixer, whip cream cheese, pumpkin, vanilla, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, and brown sugar for a few minutes until fluffy. Add Cool Whip and whip until smooth. Spoon mixture into pie crust and chill for a few hours, until firm.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• rickylee244rickylee244 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oceana - I am responding as quickly as possilbe LOL Orange Pineapple Fluff2 small containers of fat-free sugar-free cool whip defrosted1 large can of crushed pineapple in juice1 can manderine orange slices in juice (you can rinse if not) chopped2 packages Jello vanilla instant pudding - sugar free1 6 oz plain low fat yogurtMix the cool whip, pudding mix and yogurt until combinedAdd the fruit (substitute any fruit you want!)This makes 10 cups and if you are on weight watchers each cup is 1 point.  It is Delish! and Oceana can attest to that!
    Photobucket Visit The Nest! Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    Oceana:Chili garlic sauce should be in the Asian/Chinese section of your grocery store.  It should be in a small-ish bottle.  In my grocery store, it's near all the other exclusively asian sauces (hoisan, thai curry, etc).  I also use it in stir fries and in a dipping sauce for pot stickers.p.s. It's a good thing I already ate my lunch, or I'd be starving after reading this thread!
  • edited December 2011
    Haha. It'd be funny if you made the pork tonight, oceana, because I'm definitely making it tonight after I get back from the gym .  I decided it was so delicious that my roommates needed to try it as well.
  • edited December 2011
    I can attest to how damn delicious that orange fluff...I'm super bummed I didn't manage to get any this weekend!desertsun, that no bake cheesecake sounds really good! I love pumpkin cheesecake...make one myself that's pretty tasty (at least to me!), but requires some baking...

• edited December 2011
    1 8in Keebler Reduced Fat Graham Cracker Crust1 can pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling)2 packages fat free cream cheese, softened1 cup Splenda2 eggs1 tbsp cinnamon1 tbsp vanilla extract1 tsp nutmeg1 tsp ground ginger1/2 tsp salt1 cup fat free whipped creamCinnamon to top 1. Preheat oven to 375F.2. Mix and beat Splenda and softened cream cheese together in bowl until well-incorporated.3. Add pumpkin, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger to bowl and stir until thoroughly mixed (there may still be a few small chunks of cream cheese mixed in batter, just not a lot and not huge chunks).4. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Pour mixture into pie crust.5. Bake at 375F for 45-50 min, or until knife put in center of pie comes out relatively clean.6. Remove pie from oven and allow to cool completely. Apply fat free whipped cream to top and spread out evenly over pie. Sprinkle cinnamon on top to taste. Cut into 10 slices and serve.Pie will keep for several days in fridge, and is better the next day than the original!Ok...is it Thanksgiving yet?!?!? lol

• edited December 2011
    Wow.  I have recipes, but I have no idea really on nutritional content.  The only real advice I have is stolen from the GIS board:For all you peanut-butter lovers, there's a product out there called PB2 (they also carry Chocolate PB2).  It's powdered peanuts.  They roast them, then press all the oil out to make a powder.  You mix the powder with water until it's the consistency you want and ta da!  Peanut butter with 85% less fat than regular peanut butter.  I just got some in the mail, so I'll try it soon and let you know how it goes.  :)And just for fun's sake, I have an awesome fish recipe.  Can be used with tilapia or flounder (or any white fish I guess):1.  Preheat oven (I usually do 350 or lower).2.  Take fish and rinse.  Pat dry with a paper towel and lay on baking sheet.  Salt lightly.3.  Spread butter/margarine on each piece of fish.4.  Sprinkle with parmesan cheese.5.  Sprinkle with paprika.6.  Bake 15-20 minutes or until cheese is nice and melted.We usually have it over rice with a green vegetable.I've also started making average things, like biscuits with sausage gravy and hamburger helper, but using turkey sausage and ground turkey instead.  Rumor has it it's better for you.  I wish I had more time to cook, but between work and school it gets hard sometimes, especially when I don't like eating after 8pm.  :(
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Married Bio
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic My first love.

Me: 31 DH: 30

TTC since 10/2010. 2012: HSG showed unicornuate uterus on right side; both kidneys and both ovaries present. High risk for preterm labor, IUGR, and C-Section. Dx'd Hypothyroidism.
    1st BFP: 10/27/12, cycle before we had planned to see RE
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Pregnancy Blog
    edited December 2011
    I'm seriously making that pumpkin cheesecake on Sunday. And bringing it to work so I don't eat it all myself. :)

edited December 2011
    And the popcorn bars will be coming in to work for Halloween, I think. Might help keep me away from all the candy!

• edited December 2011
    oceana, I'm thinking about making pumpkin cheesecake this weekend.  Do you any nutritional info on your recipe (calories, cholesterol, etc)?
  • edited December 2011
    Per slice (10 slice per cake), 168 cals, 4 g fat, 20 g carbs, 4 g protein.

• edited December 2011
    ps. Anyone else have any other diet-friendly pumpkin (or apple) recipes? Seeing as we don't have fall here in SoFla (it's slightly cooler, as in like, 2 degrees cooler), and I'm born and raised Midwesterner, I have to kill my autumn cravings through food.

• edited December 2011
    I haven't tried these yet, but they're on my list of things to make.  I usually have pretty good luck with Cooking Light recipes. Pumpkin Bread Pudding:http://tinyurl.com/y99tv89Caramel Apple Crumb Pie:http://tinyurl.com/6l6qr2Amaretto Apple Streusel Cupcakes:http://tinyurl.com/yafjlty
  • edited December 2011
    My roommate and I are going pumpkin crazy tomorrow.  We'll probably make pumpkin ravioli, maybe pumpkin soup, and pumkin pie.  I'll let you know how it turns out!
  • edited December 2011
    How did your pumpkin day go? I'm so jealous of you, it's not even funny...lol

• edited December 2011
    OMG...I love these recipes- I can't wait to try them!!  I've been having the worst time being diagnosed with a nutrition deficiency that prevents me from working out like I was to lose weight...and today I was diagnosed with walking pneumonia. Gosh, I hope my winter clothes fit!! :( Do any of you make anything from Hungry Girl? I love her recipes, too!
  • edited December 2011
    OMG... Pumpkin day was so yummy.  The soup was *delicious*.  The ravioli and the cheesecake were also good, but the soup came out the best.  Yum! Creamy pumpkin soup with less than 200 calories? Awesome!
  • edited December 2011
    dreaming: FI and I love love LOVE the sweet onion dip from the hungry girl website. I can't even tell it's good for me!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards