Ohio-Northeast

Warning about a scam videography company in NE Ohio!

I just wanted to notify all the brides-to-be in the Cleveland area. Whatever you do, don't hire In The Moment Video Productions! It's a scam!! He took my deposit and never showed up on my wedding day, August 22nd! I was so angry, I called him (Dan Cowgill) 10 minutes before walking down the aisle and he didn't even know who I was?! Unprofessional doesn't even begin to describe what he calls a business. He is young, immature and cares nothing about his clients. He wasn't even apologetic on the phone. He completely forgot about my wedding. He's been avoiding our calls and emails ever since. I found him at the Today's Bride Bridal Show in Independence, OH at the Embassy Suites back in October of 2008 (should be a trusted source). I contacted Today's Bride, they were super nice and apologetic. Thankfully he didn't renew his ad space to be a vendor there for the upcoming shows in October and January. They are going to try to help me get my money back by having the owner call him directly. Also, if you try calling his business phone number, you can't get through because he hasn't emptied his voicemail box since the start of 2009! When I finally got a hold of him back in May (after having my attorney find some background information on him, which I called to get a direct cell number), he thought I was an angry bride asking for my wedding DVD that took place in February! I had to contact him, because I had never received my copy of the contract I sent in with my deposit to reserve the date back in January and I couldn't get a hold of him through his business phone number. This was a red flag, but I felt bad for him because he made up this story about a family emergency, how dedicated he was and how he had already booked a place to stay since my wedding was in Port Clinton, OH. And his price was what I wanted to pay (cheap). I should've went with my gut feeling then, but I couldn't find another videographer to come down on their prices for me. Also, he immediately signed, scanned and sent me the contract and I was afraid he'd keep my deposit for backing out.So be careful out there! Because of In The Moment Video Productions, I have no video to remember my wedding day.

Re: Warning about a scam videography company in NE Ohio!

• K ByteK Byte member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    WOW! That's super scary ... you would think well-known bridal shows would be a good place to find reliable/responsible vendors ... I'm going to the Today's Bride show next month so I'll remember to be on the lookout for sketchy vendors! Thanks for posting this!
  • edited December 2011
    Yes, which is why Today's Bride was so concerned and wanted to help me out. I did get an email from the videographer saying he's going to mail me a check tomorrow, so we'll see what happens. Regardless, I would still never hire him! And I reported him to the BBB. He obviously doesn't care about his reputation or job to not-show up to my wedding, avoid our calls and emails to get our deposit back and not know who his clients are when they contact him.
  • edited December 2011
    I'm so sorry to hear this. I hate to say it, but we get so hung up on "cheap" and this is what happens. My photographer and my videographer were both certified by their respective industries. Not the "cheapest" but didn't have a single problem with either. Again, I sorry for you problem, but "cheap" should have been another red flag.
  • PyroWolfePyroWolfe member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    YIKES! Good to know. Sorry you had to go through all that though. :\
  • CLEBride07CLEBride07 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Sorry that happened to you, I almost knew how you feel, almost didn't get my wedding pictures cuz of a flakey photographer. Just to comment on some of the PP's though "cheap" doesn't always mean bad, and expensive doesn't always mean good, you gotta do your homework at both ends.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards