Pennsylvania
Options

ceremony/reception sites in Wilkes Barre area

Hi - I'm looking for ceremony/reception locations for my wedding next fall. Any suggestions? Would prefer a location with a nice outdoor area for pictures, not necessarily an outdoor wedding.Thanks.

Re: ceremony/reception sites in Wilkes Barre area

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I am using: http://www.waterfrontbanquetfacility.com/the pictures are a bit dated but definately check it out.
  • Options
    mjose182mjose182 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I just got married last weekend and had my reception at The Woodlands Inn and Resort. They have a beautiful stream side area for your photos.Just note that while most everything went off without a hitch, they are a bit difficult to work with. I'd be more than happy to share with you, or anyone, my experience with them and the other vendors I used. I had fantastic vendors who I would recommend to anyone.
  • Options
    emily17bemily17b member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I just got married last month at the Highlands at Newberry Estates in Dallas, PA. HIGHLY RECOMMEND!!EVERYONE commented how it was one of the best weddings they have ever been too...more food than you can imagine. Very affordable compared to other places in the area!!! http://www.highlandsatnewberry.com/
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    The Highlands part of Newberry is definitely gorgeous....I think the AppleTree part is HIGHLY overrated. I hhhhhated the wood panel walls & green carpet..and overlooking the pool. But the Highlands part is gorgeous..just very pricey. Wyoming Valley Country Club is pretty. You could always go to the courthouse/the new waterfront for pictures if your venue isn't a location for pictures outside. That's what we did.
    Anniversary
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    deborah2121deborah2121 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hello, jaig24, This post is wicked long...sorry to be so long-winded!  hope it's helpful.  I love talking about weddings.  I think my fiance is sick of talking about it..haha...and my Boston friends have no clue about WB area.  I just went through this process so... Someone already posted about the Waterfront-I haven't heard anything about weddings there, but I've heard only good comments about everything else there so I'm assuming weddings are great, too.  I agree that the Wyoming Valley Country Club is beautiful!  The Woodlands is also beautiful and big, but I had a hard time working with them from Boston.  I kind of got the feeling they didn't really need my business and weren't into having to do so many phone conversations.  Two of my friends got married there and loved it. I have heard good comments about the Highlands, and my fiance who is not from NEPA loved it from pics online.  I've heard mixed reviews about the food--hit or miss it seems.  When I called to inquire, it seemed disorganized, and since I'm planning my wedding in the Wilkes-Barre area for next July from Boston, I need to work with very organized places.  I've seen many pics from photographers I was looking into of weddings at the Highlands, and the pics are gorgeous!  Congrats emily17b!  What was your experience there like? I've been to weddings at Appletree, and they were nice--very intimate and fun.  I wasn't interested b/c that's where my field hockey banquets were in high school so it seemed weird to me.  Foxhill Country Club in Exeter is beautiful as well.  I've been there for showers and loved it. I've also heard great comments from my sister's friends who are getting married around the same time...one is having it at the new place called Bentley's in Mountain Top and another at Friedman Farms in Dallas.  I think one is having her ceremony outside at Bentley's and the reception, too.  I'm not interested in the farms because of the lack of climate control and the need to get a caterer, etc.--too much work for me.  Again, I've seen beautiful photos and heard great things about the place. http://www.bentleysofnepa.com/ http://www.friedmanfarms.com/ In the end, I chose the Westmoreland Club.  (My family does not belong but a very close friend of the family does so she is sponsoring us.) THEY ARE AMAZING!  There is an on sight planner, Sandy, who is unbelievable.  I love the elegant, vintage mansion style, and they are extremely accommodating.  I would also add their prices are reasonable and comparable for similar locations.  http://www.westmorelandclub.org/ Lastly, if you are into the Victorian look and fancy things and are having a small wedding, the Stegmaier Mansion is a great place, too.  The photos online make it look tackier than it really is.  It is near the new Riverwalk area. NittanyLionBride--Congratulations! You look gorgeous.  I would love to see your pics by the new waterfront. I would love to "talk" wedding stuff with all of you, especially if you are familiar with the area. I have been gone for over 10 years, and I feel very out of the loop about vendors, salons, etc.  mjrose182--congrats on your wedding, and I'd love for you to share who you used for vendors. Congrats and Happy Planning!
  • Options
    emily17bemily17b member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi, I have been to 4 weddings at the Highlands - not including my own - and they were all EXCELLENT. Not sure what you have heard about the food - there is tons of it and delicious!!! We did the cabaret style which is the cheaper option and there is so much food, I cannot even describe it to you. So many ppl at our wedding raved about how it was the best cocktail hour ever..and they thought that we were not having a dinner, and when i told them it was a cabaret dinner they were like OMG! I cannot believe there is MORE food. It was so excellent. We priced around at Waterfront, Irem Temple, Fox Hill, Woodlands. Woodlands was $ and was Fox Hill. I have not heard good reviews on Waterfront - its more reasonably priced but heard the food was not so good. We did budgets for all places and Highlands was most economical. The owner is very easy to work with and is accommodating. The outdoor gardens are great for pictures... so beautiful. I highly recommend it.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'd steer clear of Bentley's. I tried to have my wedding there & they were SO disorganized & completely screwed me over so I ended up having it at Colarusso's La Palazzo in Moosic. I had a fantastic experience there and people are STILL raving about the food! Their fabulous coordinator is leaving this week, so I dont know who is replacing him. But its not the place to go if you want your pictures outside of there, which is why we went to the waterfront.
    Anniversary
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm getting married at the Waterfront in Wilkes-Barre. I havent heard anything good nor bad about it from anyone so I don't know if thats a good thing or a bad thing. I took the chance. I love it so far. The lady Christine is really easy to work with. I think the room is beautiful and modern. A lot of the other places I looked at were dated and not my style. This place has very clean and new feeling. I also like the patio. Not too many options for outdoor photos besides the patio. We're taking a lot pictures on the church grounds. :) Good Luck!
    ~*Megan*~ Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    jajg24jajg24 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks so much for all the suggestions and feedback! We are looking at Apple Tree Terrace and I will ask to look at Highlands too for comparrison. We are also looking at a place called the Settler's Inn in Hawley - about 45-60 minutes east. It looks amazing online and since we THINK our wedding will be relatively small (100-125) it should work if choose to go with them. Thanks again!  
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Congratulations, jajg24!  I had never heard of the Settler's Inn--it is gorgeous!!!  Best of luck!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm getting married at Ehrhardt's Waterfront Resort in Hawley, Pa. It's on Lake Wallenpaupack so you can get awesome outside pictures and I have heard from multiple people that the food there is excellent.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We are having our reception at the East Mountain Inn.  They have a beautiful gazebo in the back of the hotel.  They are also very reasonable and are willing to bargain a bit to get the business.  I have also been to a few weddings there and they do a wonderful job.
  • Options
    jajg24jajg24 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We decided to go with The Highlands at Newberry Estates. I had never been there before but had been to a few weddings at Apple Tree Terrace. My fiance hated Apple Tree the second we walked in but we both fell in love with The Highlands. Can't wait for the big day!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    jajg24, Congratulations!  It's beautiful!!!!   You will have a blast!  (BTW...I asked more people about the food, and it has gotten rave reviews!!!!!!)  :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards