DC
Options

Marriage License/Social Security

Hi Ladies,I was wondering what your experience has been in the past with this-do you have to take the certified copy or will the non-certified work as well?  Also, do you have to take your old SSN card with you?I really appreciate the help!TIA!

Re: Marriage License/Social Security

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Kelly, I just went.  I only needed my driver's license and the copy of the marriage certificate that was given to me by the officiant after the wedding (I didn't have to request a special copy).  They don't keep it.  They give it back to you.  Prepare yourself though.  I waited 2 hours in that madness.  Totally not cool (or fun)!  I didn't need my old SS card.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Did you go in MD or VA?  Ugh-2 hours!My strategy is to go in the middle of the afternoon instead of right when they open or before they close.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I would recommend you bring as much as you can to be prepared and avoid having to go back.  I brought the certified copy of the license and definitely needed my old SS card.  Read the requirements online.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I went at 11 am and it was ugly.  May want to avoid lunch hour!
  • Options
    katiewhompuskatiewhompus member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I took in my certified marriage certificate as well as my ssn. I went into the Alexandria office around...11am on a Tuesday and had to wait 3 hours...
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Oh yikes, I was planning on going to the one off Edsall Rd...in Alexandria.  I'll just hope for the best...
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I went to the one in Rosslyn w/ my license and notarized/certified/whatever marriage certificate. I was in and out in 20 minutes. I went on a random Tuesday afternoon.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards