Florida-South Florida

Mani/Pedi - Poll

Curious as to what most of you are doing for mani/pedis for the big day?

I toggle between putting on acrylics because the polish lasts longer or just having a reg. mani. I recently found someone that does that nail polish that lasts really long, but I haven't tried it yet.   Axxium and Shelac (?) 

My nails don't last more than one day with regular polish, but I don't want to have get a mani the day of or have to retouch it.

Re: Mani/Pedi - Poll

• edited December 2011
    ooooo great post! I'm gonna try that newer longer lasting stuff... it's almost like a gel.. they put it under a light and it dries right away. I've seen it done but the color the girl got was a little "fake" looking and I want a more natural look... so gotta try it out!
    :: Lynette & PJ :: 1.22.11 :: For Sale ::
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks Lyn. Yeah, I want to try it out, too. A friend of mine goes to a girl down in Kendall who does a great job on her. So I'm gonna check her out next time I'm down in Miami.
  • edited December 2011

I am going to do the Shellac.  I haven't tried it yet, but they do it where I get my nails done (Tipsy Spa in Wellington) and my manicurist says it's great.  She said I should get it done twice before the wedding one so that my nails have a chance to grow and get strong, so that's what I'm going to do. 

BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    im doing acrylics
  • edited December 2011
    I think I am probably going to do just a regular mani the morning of. As long as it gets me through the day I don't really care how long it lasts after that.
  • anaroo87anaroo87 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    thanks for the post Rosmery. I never heard of this Shelac/Axxium thing - regular polish will get destroyed on my fingers within 2 days so I just dont bother at all. Now I'll have to ask about this next time I get my pedi. Thanks!
    Planning Bio

April Siggy Challenge: The Ring

Anna♥Joey
    Daisypath Wedding tickers

image 160 Got Invited (..what happened to a small wedding?!)
    image 99 Are ready to party! image 49 Are missing out! image 13 Can't find the mailbox!
    RSVP Date: March 23, 2011
  • edited December 2011
    I had gel which is a form of acrylic suppose to be better with less chemicals before we got engaged. I had taken them off since then and grew out my natural nails. I get manicures now every week or every 2 weeks to keep them long and without breaking so hopefully for the wedding they are natural and long. I will try the gel/shellac polish for the wedding in a classic french.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Nursery theme!Image and video hosting by TinyPic Nursing Bras at Nurtured Family BabyFruit Ticker Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    Rosemery, I hate acrylics.  To each his own but I think they look too fake and they destroy your natural nail.  I get a mani every week pretty much and it lasts until the following week without a problem, but my manicurists uses regular OPI nail polish so it may just be that my nails are stronger than most or something (and that I don't do the dishes in my house!)  So try that Axxium thing and good luck!!!

P.S. Before, my nail polish would chip within two days, but it was because my manicurists was using a nail polish brand that was not compatible with my nails. As soon as she switched to OPI my nail polish would stay for about a week, so maybe that's what's causing the premature chipping! HTH =)
  • edited December 2011
    Janet, even with Opi, my nails will chip the same day or the next. I don't do dishes either, Whirpool does! lol   Heck, if I forget to wash my hair or bathe before I have a manicure, I ask my FI to bathe me and wash my hair. lol

I had acrylics for a long time with a lady that did them so natural everyone thought they were mine. But after she closed her salon I went to "los chinos" somewhere in Hialeah and they destroyed my nails. So never went back.  I'm gonna give Shellac or Axxium a shot because I really want to avoid acrylics. I would only do it for the polish, because I like my nails on the shorter side.

If any of you ladies try it before I can, please let me know how it goes. I'm very interested.

Thanks!
  • edited December 2011
    i know im a little late on this post, but i do know that opi is specially made for acrylics thats why it lasts so long. i use it on my regular nails and it works just fine and lasts 5 days. 3 with no chipping at all.

as for regular nails the best is essie.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    oh i feel your stress my nail polish doesnt last either...let me know about that other solution i wa thinking of having them add a little gel to my nail (like an overlay) and then doing the polish on that so it will last like acrilics but be more natural length... :)
  • funke4508funke4508 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I recently had an axxium manicure.
    (FYI, it's made by OPI)
    my girl also had the shellac but she said in her opinion axxium lasted longer.
    WOW! I went for over 3 weeks with no chips! but the growth was starting to look crazy and I wasn't able to get an appointment to get another so i attempted to take it off myself. what a disaster! seriously, hours to soak off and left my nails so brittle, whhich are usually very strong.
    I think I will get it again before my wedding just because it lasts so long and I won't have to worry about it through my honeymoon.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards