Outdoor Weddings
Options

Processional/recessional music at outdoor wedding?

Hello there! We're having an outdoor wedding in May, and I'm really confused about what to do for the processional and recessional music. On one hand, I think having a cd of something would be so easy/cheap, but where will the cd player go? And doesn't that seem a little tacky? Our reception after the wedding is somewhere else, so this music will be for the WEDDING ONLY. It's not as if there's an available sound system that we'll be using later. I thought about hiring a cellist... is this the best thing to do for an outdoor wedding? The place isn't terribly big, and we'll have about 60-70 people there in a cramped space, so a 4-piece is totally out of the question. I heard about someone having kazoos for the bridal party, and although I like this in theory, I'm not crazy about kazoos. Wish it could be something else that sounded better! Any ideas? I'd love to hear some feedback on this. Thanks! Kristen

Re: Processional/recessional music at outdoor wedding?

• Options
    We are having a harpist! I'm so excited about it!  I'm all for hiring live musicians if they fit into your budget. Definitely check out your options in your area. I looked into a couple of different musicians, and I found a harpist for $200, which was the cheapest I could find. Some can cost hundreds of dollars, so make sure to check out all possible options, if you want to go this route.
  • Options
    I have been thinking about this as well. I am considering asking one of my friends or family members that play the guitar to do guitar-only instrumental versions of modern songs that we like. We are not very traditional people but some songs that are special to us sound really good on just the guitar and makes it a little less like you are listening to a song on the radio.If you know someone that plays the guitar (or another instrument) you could think about this option. Otherwise you could consider hiring someone...
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I am getting married on the beach, and we will be having a guitarist playing classical versions of modern songs that are special to us.  He uses an amp that is capable of being loud enough for everyone to hear (stratigically placed, not just sitting out in the open).  I'm thinking about possible walking down the isle to an acoustic version of "Wild Horses" by the Rolling Stones...it souns beautiful on an acoustic guitar.  Cellos an harps are also an option, though it depends on your location/level of noice etc.   Good luck!
  • Options
    Kristen,I would research your local universities for music majors or even music teachers.  For my sisters wedding she was able to hire a four piece from the local college just for the ceremony.  It was easy and relatively cheap since it's good experience for them.  You don't have to do a four piece since your in a small area, look into just hiring one person!  We're getting married on the beach and having one of the guys from our entertainment play the saxophone for the ceremony.  No matter what you do, I would just make sure that your instrument on choice is one that will carry in your venue.  Since we are on the beach, I was a little afraid to do guitar since it might be too soft, but I know that the sax will be heard no problem! Good luck!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    ditto pp.  FI's sisters has some friends who majored in music in college and they agreed to do the music ceremony for us for $200.  Price will depend on your area but local college students could be a good inexpensive option
  • Options
    A lot of musicians are experienced in playing outdoors and can bring their own equipment.  Ditto pp about checking out local universities, or you can also check out gigmasters.com to get bids from local musicians and in many cases hear samples of their work.  We're leaning towards guitar and violin, though who knows what we'll end up with!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Would your DJ be willing to coming to the ceremony site? I'm asking because ours is simply going to use his ipod and a small speaker set to do the processional and recessional. This would mean you wouldn't have to pay extra money for another muscian. Just a thought-good luck!
  • Options
    We also had a guitarist for the ceremony music.  It was outside under a canopy with about 130 people.  He brought everything he needed.  It turned out great.  I was driven to the ceremony site in a classic car shortly before the ceremony and from where the car was parked I could hear all the music perfectly. 
  • Options
    An unamplified cello might not be loud enough for everyone to here ... do the folks handling your rental have any suggestions?A friend of mine had an outdoor ceremony and hired a classical guitarist who brought his own low-power amp. Even if your ceremony site doesn't have any electrical outlets, there are battery-powered amps you can rent.

1st year anniversary in Victoria with a killer whale topiary!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards