Honeymoon Discussions

Hawaii Honeymoon

How realistic is it to honeymoon in Hawaii for atleast 5 or 6 nights and spend less than $3500 (including airfare, food and lodging)?? We are debating between Hawaii and Sandals Antigua and need opinions. We are looking for the best deal for our money.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Hawaii Honeymoon

• not sure where you are flying from but you might be able to find a budget hotel in Honolulu and air for that. The thing is..Maui and Kaui are the big spots to hit (I love the Big Island too) and I am not sure you can do that effectively on that budget.
  • Unless you can find a great deal with a TA, I think you'd be really scrimping your money, especially for a honeymoon. You can do it, but you won't be experiencing HI like you should I think.  I hunted for deals when I was planning.  It probably depends on what island, but the following are my thoughts based on Maui: Cheapest airfare I think you'll find (based on what I observed over the past year): $1100 for 2 people.  I never saw it go below $550/person.Most activities (kayaking, horseback riding, zipline, etc.) are about $60-80/person.  Some Luau's like Old Lahaina Luau are closer to $90-100/person.You can go to the grocery store for breakfast food and some sandwiches throughout the week.  We ate out 2 times per day on some days.  Most dinners were $80 for the both of us including drinks.  Somewhere like Mama's Fish House which is very popular (and a must I think just for the experience and view) is around $200 for couple with drinks and dessert.You need a rental car, because many activities are all over the island.  About $250, you might find it for less.  Then there's gas.If the activities aren't important to you and you eat out only once per day, you might be able to swing it if you can find good airfare and hotel rates.
  • Which coast are you on? The caribbean cost more in airfare from the west coast and hawaii is less expensive.Our package from SFO to Honolulu was $1700 including airfare and hotel rooms.
  • I just saw some airfare/hotel (7 nights) deals for less than 1000$ p/p from Toronto. I also think a car is important where ever you are. You can have a great time without doing all those expensive activities if you're willing to get out there and explore.One of my best days on Maui, we hiked the Wahee Ridge Trail and it was spectacular and free!
  • I definitely think it's doable! We spent 7 nights in Maui in July and spent about $2600 for airfare, lodging and rental car. I didn't keep track of how much we spent on food, but we ate breakfast in the hotel room every morning (we stayed at the Westin Villas, so we had a kitchenette) and ate reasonable lunches, splurged on a few dinners. If you want to do a ton of activities, you'll be cutting it close, but Hawaii has so much to explore on its own that you don't need too many organized excursions. We did surf lessons ($65 each), a sunset champagne cruise ($59 each) and a luau ($110 each).
    Photobucket Vacation Vacation
  • Almost forgot! Check Costco.com for packages. They almost always have good prices for the Westin Maui that include breakfasts, car rental, spa/hotel credit. Definitely worth checking out.
    Photobucket Vacation Vacation
  • If you're budgeting for those three items, I think $3500 is doable. We're planning on visiting O'ahu for 6 or 7 nights and flying from CO, and everything we've been pricing so far is about $2200 for the flight and hotel. I expect us to spend far less than $1300 on food, but we won't be spending gobs on fancy meals because food on Hawaii is already expensive.
    BFP #1 6/3/10 | EDD 2/5/11 | Noelle born 1/28/11
    BFP #2 12/20/11 | EDD 8/24/12 | Natural M/C 12/22/11
    BFP #3 5/13/12 (Mother's Day!) | EDD 1/23/13 | Natural M/C 6/9/12 (blighted ovum discovered 6/7/12 at 7w1d)
    "And to think when their little eyes opened, the first thing they saw was the face of Jesus."
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    My Ovulation Chart | My Baby Name List
  • I think it depends on what time of year you go.
  • My TA got my bff and I to and from Oahu for 5 nights for about $1600pp - and that included hotel and nonstop airfare from Chicago.  Check out the Outrigger Reef on the Beach.  Great hotel, on a beautiful beach (you literally walk out the back door of the hotel into the sand) but it's a 10-15 minute walk down from Waikiki so it's not quite so pricey like some other hotels.  We had no need for a rental car.  We booked excursions through the hotel and had a free shuttle to/from the airport.  I would contact a TA and see what they can do for you. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards