Honeymoon Discussions

Honeymoon in August

My fiance and I are getting married at the end of July next year and plan on taking off for our honeymoon right away, so the beginning of August.  We want to be able to relax with one another on a beach somewhere, but August is hurricane and rainy season for the caribbean!  Has anyone had a great experience in the caribbean in August or can you suggest a beautiful and reasonably priced place to go in August?  We need ideas!  Thanks in advance!

Re: Honeymoon in August

• We are going to Aruba next week - we picked it bc even though its hurricane season - Aruba is so far south that hurricanes normally miss it. I will let you know what the weather is like - but it says high 80s
    BFP#1 10/30/2011,MC 12/4/2011 9w2d,BFP#2 3/6/2012,m/c 4/18/2012 9w1d D&E 4/18/2012 BFP#3 8/12/2012 EDD 4/25/2013 Stick baby!! Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • get trip insurance. I have been to Aruba and Turks and Caicos in August, Florida in July and Mexico in June....didn't have a problem any of those times with hurricanes....It is not likely you will encounter one, but trip insurance is the best bet.
    BFP #1 1/1/11 EDD 9/10/11 dx:no hb DNC on 2/2/11 BFP #2 12/28/11 natural m/c on 2/6/12 BFP#3 2/16/13 dx:ectopic on 2/27 (given methotrexate)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Denise- What's Turks and Caicos like?  Where did you stay?  That's something that has come up on our list as well :)

Hugz- Please let me know how it is!  Enjoy your vacation- I hear it's beautiful there and wouldn't mind looking into it!
  • St. Lucia is another area that is far enough south that they rarely see a hurricane.  I was on vacation there when a huge hurricane went through the rest of the Caribbean.  We saw about 30 minutes of rain one day and that was it.   It was in the 80’s when I went in September.  I have also been to Mexico in September and we didn’t have a problem.  I agree with PP, get travel insurance. 

• We had this exact debate when planning our honeymoon. We are getting married this August and didnt want to deal with hurricanes either.

Our TA suggested a cruise because they typically are able to re-route and navigate around the storms

We ended up finding a great deal on Hawaii back in Feb. We got our air and hotel for both of us for 6 days/5 nights for less than $2K from AA vacations. I would definitely shop around and see what you can find or contact a TA. I have a great one if you need a recco.
    Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
  • The statistical chances of a hurricane hitting the island you're on during your 1 week honeymoon- even in hurricane season- is only between 2-5% depending on which island you go to.

So.... don't worry about it.  Just get travel insurance! :-)

• i FAR prefer curacao over aruba. it's so much more of an island with it's own personality. aruba, to me anyway, all us hmers, no true island personality, kinda blah. curacao is aruba's sister island. it's larger too and the snorkleing is infinately better.

• I would reccomend Bonaire! Its also Aruba's sister island. (The B in the ABC islands :) ) It's outside of the hurricane belt, Lots to do-mainly known for scuba and snorkel, but also other great activities. The island is completely safe, you can walk into town and shop and not have to worry about anything, like you do other parts of the caribbean. We did horseback riding and swimming with the horses, snorkeling, went on a 25 mile bike ride, wind surfing-theres soo much to see! Its very quiet and relaxig. The island is so small so we actually toured the whole island. half on bike and then the next day we rented a jeep and did the other half stopping along the way at different snorkel sites. The water is gorgeous clear blue. Beautiful sunsets. Food is great! Annnnd its not very expensive at all! Best vaca we ever been on and would go back again in a second! HIGHLY reccomend it.
    Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Have you thought about going to Mexico? I would recommend a resort called Dreams Los Cabos. Dreams Los Cabos is a fabulous all-inclusive that I think would be absolutely perfect for your honeymoon. The resort boasts an amazing beach and the staff will truly go out of their way to make your time there very special. You can honestly just kick back on the beach or at the pool as the wait staff caters to you. The resort can also be very romantic for your honeymoon-you and your hubby can order 24-hour room service, get a couple’s massage and even plan a quiet dinner for two on the beach. I hope you check it out. Congratulations!

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_honeymoon-august-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:88ba2303-6179-47ee-a827-0feaf9d5f214Post:51032345-a340-4067-a6a8-bff568de0078">Re: Honeymoon in August</a>:
    [QUOTE]i FAR prefer curacao over aruba. it's so much more of an island with it's own personality. aruba, to me anyway, all us hmers, no true island personality, kinda blah. curacao is aruba's sister island. it's larger too and the snorkleing is infinately better.
    Posted by alithebride[/QUOTE]

I agree with this 100%!!

as for your question...we're leaving tomorrow on our honeymoon in Antigua...and although I knew there was a risk...we still took it.
    TTC Buddies with JennaHack and 102007(Congrats!)!
    Baby Blog
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards