Ohio-Northeast

Honeymoon is booked - Italy!!

We are members of the Disney Vacation Club - and part of this membership offers "Adventures by Disney." I received an e-mail update - that they have added new destinations for 2010 - and the next thing you knew I called and booked our honeymoon! 8days - in the Florence and Naples area with the "Adventures by Disney" (adults only on this trip) AND then the next week we will explore other areas of Italy on our own. I can't wait. If you have any must haves - for Italy - let me know!!

Re: Honeymoon is booked - Italy!!

• natg504natg504 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We just got back from our Italian honeymoon a couple of weeks ago.  One of our favorite things we did in Florence was take a cooking class.  We learned how to make 3 types of pasta, sauces, and a dessert.  Of course you get to eat it afterwards.  It was so good!! This is the company that offered it: http://www.intavola.org/cal2.asp?id=3&language=_en&data=30/09/2009 We booked it through viator.com I think.And more food.... Here are a couple of restaurants we liked.  It was actually a little difficult to find places that were more authenic, rather than touristy, but we liked these 2 a lot.1.  Trattoria Icche C'eC'eVia Magalotti 11 red- I loved my sage & butter ravioli here & their prices are good.2.  Perseus Viale Don Giovanni Minzoni, 10-red- A little more expensive, but my husband said the Bistecca alla florentine was the best steak he's ever had.  Have fun!!!
  • alithebull1alithebull1 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Italy is wonderful.  I think it is all must have, lol.  Outside of Florence is Sienna and San Gimignano - you must go to San Gimignano for the gelato. It is the best in the world - literally the champions are there!  Some other things we loved were a wine tasting and olive oil tasting tour.  I say tour but it was just us and a guide and we biked.  And we had the absolute best meal while we were doing this in the country side.  We also loved the hiking trails between the villages in Cinque Terre.  We are not the type to lounge and relax when we can see the world tough so if you want something more relaxing I wouldn't recommend this stuff.
  • alithebull1alithebull1 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh and I totally agree about the authenticity of the food in Florence.  If you ask the locals they will tell you that they don't really eat in the city for good food.  All of the restaurants have these crap tourist menus that will not be the best food ever.
  • ayamm1123ayamm1123 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Congrats! Sounds like fun!
  • edited December 2011
    I visited Florence and Rome in November 2006 for about 2 weeks.  I ate at a really great place in Florence (someone staying at my hotel recommended it--the place received a glowing review in the NY Times and is definitley not on the tourist circuit).  If I can find the name of the restaurant, I'll post it.  I'm sure you'll be doing most of the normal tourists stuff, and I cant really think of anything unusual that we did.  We mostly enjoyed walking around the cities and sampling the gelato everywhere :)  We were surprised to go into an "Irish pub" in Rome and find that we were the only non-Italians in the place :)  I would recommend that you get the Rick Steves guide books...we ate at several of the recommended restaurants in Rome, and they were all good.  HTH 
  • sarahb0485sarahb0485 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Make sure you spend a few days in Rome. It's one of the most beautiful cities in the world. We are going to Italy for Thanksgiving but our honeymoon is still TBD. What month are you honeymooning? I feel like it's still so early to book.
  • yesican220yesican220 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for all of the wonderful suggestions. - We definetely want to see the little nooks and crannies (you can relax when you get home)! We are leaving May 23rd.
  • edited December 2011
    Lake Como is wonderful!! Doesn't hurt that George Clooney has a home there, where they filmed the end of one of the Ocean's movies. If you stay there, check out Varenna. It's small and pretty quiet. There's a long walk along the lake so quiet you can hear the little waves lapping. That is about the most romantic place I'd ever been. I was so upset I was only travelling with girlfriends!
  • edited December 2011
    I wasn't such a fan of Florence but I did love the food there.  Five years later and I'm still talking about my fave restaurant, Aqua al Due http://www.acquaal2.com/ Loved the Naples area, not so much Naples (seemed a bit dirty) but we went to Capri, stayed in Anacapri, and it was gorgeous.  If you have the chance spend a couple nights there.  Great food and absolutely gorgeous, make sure to check out the blue grotto and try some ravioli caprese!  Sorrento and anywhere in  the Amalfi Coast also gorgeous.  Rome was fun, long busy days and not so great of food (very touristy).  Venice is definitely worth seeing.  Italy is gorgeous, good choice!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards