California-Bay Area
Options

affordable engagement photographer..who's GOOD!;)

My fiance (oh, wow it feels weird to write that!) and I have discussed engagement photos. He thinks they're unnecessary (aka he doesn't want to spend money on it) but I really, really want them! Mainly because we aren't planning to get married until 2013 because I'll be finishing a nursing program by then. I just think it's important to be able to have pictures that show our happiness that still new from the engagement..and also have it done in teh bay area since this is where we met and fell in love (we're moving to the east coast in two months!). So, wow after all that..does anyone know of a good but fairly cheap photographer? I would even be open to working with a student photographer for this. I'll probably be the one footing the bill and like I said..I'm a student...so funds are short. ;) I would love a photographer whose style is more photojournalism with a little traditional in there.....so if you guys are magicians and can pull this rabbit out of your hat let me know..i would really, really appreciate it! ;)

Re: affordable engagement photographer..who's GOOD!;)

• Options
    edited December 2011

Shannon Cline Photography
    www.shannoncline.com

Shannon did our engagement photos and will be our photographer for our wedding.  Love love love her work!

or

Mike is a friend of mine.  He was suppose to do our photos initially but we could never agree on a time.  He is a good photographer too.

Michael Bonocore Photography
    www.mb-photography-sf.com/
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Affordable is pretty variable depending on your budget. Do you have a price range in mind?
  • Options
    beverly25beverly25 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    honestly...less than $200 would be ideal...
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I replied to your other post, but I wanted to add that you can also check Craigslist. When I was looking for an engagement photographer, I was able to find photographers offering engagement sessions for under $100. There were even a few offering free sessions in order to build their portfolio.

Also, I read somewhere that someone went to a local art school and spoke with the photography teacher. He made an announcement to his class and had the students email their portfolios to the bride. She met with the ones whose work she liked and chose from there.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Make sure that your photographer includes the digital negatives with your session otherwise the initial shoot might seem affordable but then theres another $50-$100 charge for photos on top of that.
    I include all digital negs with my engagement shoots and people love that!
    Cheers!
    Melissa

• Options
    mica178mica178 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011

Norbert von der Groeben (norbertwedding.com).  His engagement sessions are $300 for 2 hours with multiple locations.  I'll bet you could ask if there was only one hour and one location could he do it for $200.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I have to recommend our photographer Justin Choi. He is AWESOME!! He hasn't done our engagement shots just yet, but his prices are very reasonable. His website is http://www.jchoiphotography.com/
    I believe he charges about $250 for an engagement session which is just a little over your budget, but he is so worth it. Great personality too.
    My friend also gave me a last minute rec, I believe this photog is out of Stockton, but will travel. And her price (from what it says online) is $100!!! that website is http://www.onthephippside.com/

Good luck!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I was just checking through my stats on my website and found a link back to this discussion-I'm Amy from On the Phippside Photography!  I just wanted to add that a lot of photographers include the cost of the engagement session in their wedding packages, so it might be worth it to look for your wedding photographer and see if they offer that.  An engagement session is included in all of my wedding packages because it's a great way for your photographer to get to know you before your big day, it's also a great way to make sure you click.  If you are just wanting an engagement session done, the average price in the Central Valley is $100-$200.00.  Good luck on your big day!!
  • Options
    IDoVenuesIDoVenues member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I hope you look at this today- You are in luck- check out I Do Venues- they are giving away a free engagement photography session with an incredible photographer Adi Nevo-  Check it out-
    Gloria @ I Do Venues
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Beverly  check out Jana of Jana Melinda Photography. She did our engagement shoot and it was amazing! She spent over 2 hours with us and charged less then you were expecting but it was fun and such an amazing experience. She is such a sweetheart. Email her at Jana@JanaMelindaPhotography.com or look on her blog at JanaMelindaPhotography.Com

Here are a few pics:

This is not even close to a tenth of the pictures she gave me. I have a gazillion more. But it was so much fun and I would do another ten engagement shoots with her if I needed to (but everything came out amazing and we didnt need to, of course).

Let her know, Nina recommended you if you get in contact with her..
  • Options
    leia1979leia1979 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I don't know if you're still looking, but our engagement photos were included in our wedding package.

Our photographers are David & Kim Nguyen
    http://www.dkweddings.net/

Their prices have gone up a little, so it looks like $2000 gets you 10 hours on the wedding day, a 2-hour engagement shoot, and all the photos on DVD. They use the engagement shoot to help figure out what you want for your wedding photos.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    i dont know how much he charges for e-pics, but Nirav Patel is AWESOME!
    I'm hoping to hire him for a TTD...since we already booked our photog for the day of.  (who is based in santa barbara)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    i don't know if you've already booked someone but shawn from modernlite photography is awesome! she's based out of sacramento but will travel to the bay area and she charges $175 per hour for engagement sessions.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    If anyone is interested i'm holding 2 spots for the first 2 couples that are interested in a ***FREE*** Engagement session photo shoot. I will be doing 2 shoots in June/July/August and September.

I'm an avid photographer looking to bulk up my portfolio and looking for practice. I'm just starting out and if you would like to support a new photographer, this is the way to do it. I have shot around 4 weddings and have done 10+ portrait style shoots, I have a photo-journalistic style mixed in with fine-art ideas, but love to think outside the box and experiment with different poses. I don't carry a lot of gear and like to use natural light as much as i can.

YOU GET:
    1 hour ***FREE*** at the location of your choice. Must be in a public area in the SF BAY AREA.
    all images on a dvd mailed out to you within 2 weeks of the shoot.

***I WILL NOT TRY TO SELL YOU ON ANYTHING***

email me at my temporary email address:

extra.emailok@yahoo.com
  • Options
    angeleeoangeleeo member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I am a certified photographer in the sacramento area.  I am very flexible on my prices and hours. Check out my website and contact me if you have any questions or if your interested.  I hope to hear from you. Thank You.
    Angelee Ortega.
    www.angeleesphotography.shutterfly.com

• Options
    mica178mica178 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Angelee, vendors cannot post on this forum.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    I got Jana Melinda based on Cgidd's recommendation (www.facebook.com/janamelindaphotography).  She charged around $200 for 1.5 hours of photography in Napa Valley. (The DVD of the digital images costs an extra $250.) What I liked most about Jana is the personal attention that she gave to us. I know that wedding photography is a business for professional photographers, so they treat their customers in a cordial, polite but detached manner - nothing wrong with that; after all, business is business.  But Jana showed so much enthusiasm and excitement, like I was a long-lost friend or something. She even asked me what I was planning to wear for our engagement session, and gave tips on which outfits to choose. These are things that money cannot buy :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards