New Jersey
Options

MG Poll for Brides to be: Wedding Advice

So MGs what was the best advice (on or off the knot) you received when it came to planning and the actual day of?What advice would you give to the brides to be?

~Declare it..Claim it..It will be!!~
imageLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickersimage
5/9/09: Plans, Pics, F/S 11/10/10: BFP Chart Baby Ds Stuff & Coupons!! WTH has Obama done so far!?

Re: MG Poll for Brides to be: Wedding Advice

• Options
    edited December 2011
    As far as planning goes i didnt really get any advice bc no one really close to me had ever planned a wedding like we were planning.For the day of I would say the best advice that i got both here and from or photog was to take a minute to just look at everyone that had come to support our union.  That moment was truly humbling on the day of the wedding. I think that wasmade syn see how special and how important we were to people.  I had a family friend that had neverflown to NY EVER and her first trip was becasue of our wedding...now to me that was deep.My advice for planning(esp the early stages) would be to not talk about "the wedding" everyday.  In the very beginning i remember that every convo i had with syn was about colors or venues or guests.  After awhile i had to step back bc i didnt want the next year of our lives to be about the wedding but more so about the marriage.  I made sure that wehad date nights and convos that had nothing to do with the wedding.My advice for the wedding would be to not sweat the small stuff...almost everything will be out of your hands that day from the weather to wedding flowers.  I had one minor breakdown that i wish i wouldnt have had. Mind you it was like a 5 min breakdown but it was 5 mins that I could have been smiling.

5/9/09: Plans, Pics, F/S 11/10/10: BFP Chart Baby Ds Stuff & Coupons!! WTH has Obama done so far!?
  • Options
    uppereastgirluppereastgirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Best advice I received (from my sister): don't even think twice about getting a video.My advice: don't get caught up in perfection.  Something will go wrong on your pretty princess day.  Don't let it bother you, because the day will be awesome either way.  And particularly let go of the pristineness of your dress.  I had a sweep train, but even with that, if I had a dollar for every time I felt a rip from someone stepping on it...  And I've been in so many weddings where there was a stain of some sort on the bride's dress before the reception began.  It happens, and it is okay.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Best advice (not really advice) was that no one cares about your wedding as much as you do. also, in general no one cares. Anytime I would stress over a decision and whether to order the purple napkins with silver or gold writing I had to repeat "No one cares!"Day of: I really liked the advice of pulling DH to a corner and taking a glimpse of the entire room and saying "All these people came here for us" it's a truly magical moment.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
     "All these people came here for us" it's a truly magical momentEinat darn you, I just teared up. That sounds so special. I hope I remember to do this!
    ~Chelsea~
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    while at your reception, take a step back with your dh and take in that moment of all your friends and family enjoying themselves. my friend told me this a few days before we got married and she was so right~ it was such an amazing feeling to watch everyone having a great time and sharing in our special day.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    the one thing people told me and what i tell them is " just take a moment with your husband, stop what your doing and look around the room. All these people are here because they love you and support you and are celebrating this day with you. its not very often that you get everyone under the same roof, step back absorb it and go on with the day"
    image 2011
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    erika i just read your response thats too funny!! but it was the best advice i got!!
    image 2011
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    oh c'mon you guys...I must be at the emotional stage of planning...I keep tearing up...stop it!
    ~Chelsea~
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    michelle, einat and i must all share the same brain, lol!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    It really is good advice!! LOL
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    hahah at the end of planning i cried all the time i was emotional with the wedding than the baby!!great minds think alike!!!
    image 2011
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Definitely the take a step back and look around the room.Best nerves advice I got: Take a deep breath 5 times right before you walk down the aisle.  It helps to slow things down so you can really take it all in.For planning: Do not take all day/all the time about the wedding.  Remember no one cares about it as much as you so always check in with friends about their lives.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Chelsea..Chris will remind you :-). he really hit it home for us when he told us that. I had told syn before but Chris was so much better at explaining why we should do it..lol

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Chelsea I am with you.  Several people have given me that advice and every time I hear it including right now I tear up.  I better not forget that do to do that.  I want that moment more than anything else except calling myself Mrs. H
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Good to know Stacey! Thank god for having professionals around the day of the wedding to remind us of these things. It must be so easy to get caught up in it all and forget.
    ~Chelsea~
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    kle0113kle0113 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ditto Einat, Bella and Erika.  Take that minute, because the next time you blink the day will be over!  Don't worry about what other people will think either. 
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Don't sweat the small stuff The day goes by so fast- enjoy it! Don't let guests/photographers pull you in every which way-make sure you spend as much time as you can dancing/having fun with your new hubby. If you're wearing a big, puffy, princess dress- go to the bathroom backwards. Sounds funny LOL but it really works!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    go to the bathroom backwards.Definitely remembering this...less dress to hold up in the front! haha
    ~Chelsea~
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    go to the bathroom backwards.lol! really?!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    You know, depending on your dress (corset or something) I just unzipped mine and got out of it to use the bathroom and then put it back on...not that big of a deal.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    it's the easiest way too pee if you have a poofy dress.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    You should also pee backwards if you get UTIs a lot. It empties your bladder better, supposedly.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    From my mom because I was still making candy in the extremely early hours (as in did not go to bed) of the day before:  Do everything you can in advance and whatever you can't get done, doesn't get done.  Nobody will know what was or wasn't supposed to be there. My advice is to lock eyes on your future husband's eyes and vice versa while walking down the aisle.  Yes, everyone is there to witness this occasion, but it's still about the two of you.  It gave a such a calm feeling and neither of us will ever forget that moment.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    LOL Seabass- def try it! I used that advice and it's great! It was so much easier for me to use the bathroom that day.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Since everyone else gave the good emtional advice... My advice will be DON'T cheap out on a photographer and like uppereast's sister DON'T think twice about a video I regret this big time now and it sucks.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards