New York-Hudson Valley

Reception Reviews Needed

Hi,I am recently engaged, and hoping for a September / October 2010 wedding...but it is starting to feel like we missed the boat.  So many of the dates we want are gone!!!!  We went to Catlin Gardens this weekend - loved it, but they only have Fridays left....not a HUGE deal. But another thing we thought about, is what someone else mentioned on here - if the weather is bad, you are out of luck......the beauty is in the gardens... I just don't know but it really made my heart sing. We are going to see FEAST this weekend and a place called the Tides in North. Haledon NJ that seems really nice.  Also Crystal Springs, in Hardyston this week.    What about the Inn at Central Valley?  I'm so picky, and indecisive!!  Anyone have any reviews on the above or suggestions in the Orange County area for us?
May 2006 image

Re: Reception Reviews Needed

• edited December 2011
    Our reception was at the Grandview and we highly recommend it, but it's not in Orange County so that probably won't help you.  One of my bms is getting married at the FEAST at Round Hill House next summer, and I know she's happy with them thus far, but I haven't been there. Good luck with your search!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    Have you looked into Anthony's Pier Nine?  They have that great garden room that you can use and the weather doesn't play a factor.  We had our pictures there in January.  It looks so tropical yet it was 16 degrees outside.Plus their packages are fantastic.I haven't been to feast in years but the last time I was there I didn't like it because the dancing was in a different room then the rest of the party.  I don't know if that is still the case. I have heard good things about Inn at Central Valley.  Also look in to Dutchess Manor & Poughkeepsie Grand
  • kel312nykel312ny member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I went to see the Inn at Central Valley and thought it was very nice but the cocktail room was too small for my guest list...but I hear they are doing a huuuge renovation there to be done this Spring.  Our wedding was at Clubhouse at Patriot Hills about 25 minutes from the Inn in Stony Point, Ny and it was amazing- it's worth the trip to go check out!  Good luck!
  • edited December 2011
    I am getting married at Anthonys Pier 9 and we love everything about it. The indoor gardens are beautiful. They even have a waterfall in there and it looks beautiful. The prices are excellent and the rooms are beautiful. The people who work there are very nice and always willing to help. Hope this helps
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • tommynkristentommynkristen member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    thank you!  I have to learn what all these abbreviations mean!  hehe. :)   BMS = bridesmaid?  I noticed online, that it looked like FEAST has dancing in a separate area - it seemed weird to me too..but i heard the food there is fantastic.  I'm excited to go see them, looks pretty. RE: anthony's pier 9, i just feel like thats too far from the church.  My church is in Vernon NJ so we are trying to find somewhere we love that is w/in 1/2 hour-45 min from church.I just looked at the Grandview website - how beautiful!! - I love Poughkeepsie too - but, just seems too far from church.   I love your picture by the way :)  I also looked at Chateau Hawthorne in Warwick but it didn't "wow" us....and there isn't really a hotel nearby - they have rooms upstairs, but it seems too outdated for meThanks again everyone. 
    May 2006 image
  • .jae..jae. member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    hi! i'm from new jersey (live in the HV now) but a lot of girls on the NJ board love and recommend the Tides. From what I understand it's reasonably priced and they do a good job. I can't personally attest to that, but that's the word.I've been to tons of places in NJ though. I was just at my 3rd Seasons wedding on Sunday and that place is always great-- food is among the best. If you're looking for a reception hall like that, there are literally tons in the North Jersey area. You might want to post this on the North Jers board and include your price range and they will have tons of recs.One last thing, if your church is in Vernon, the Crystal Springs Resort (also in Vernon) is AMAZING. One of the best places in North Jersey, in my opinion. A little pricey but you get a lot for what you pay.Good luck!
  • edited December 2011
    I got married at Round Hill in August and can't say enough wonderful things about my experience. Everything was fantastic. My family is from Northern Jersey and everyone is still raving about the food and the atmosphere. We picked it because it is different. The dance floor is right off the dining room and was not strange at all. Many people loved it because if you wanted to sit at your table and talk the music wasn't too loud. My friends and family all love to dance so we had no trouble getting people on the dance floor. Good luck and have fun looking.
  • edited December 2011
    I've been to 2 weddings at the Tides in North Haledon, they were both very nice and both brides were very pleased!I've never been the the Inn at Central Valley for a wedding but have been to many fire department dinners there, the food is ok and I agree with PP that cocktail room is very small.If I had to choose between those two i'd go with the tides.
    Visit The Nest! Visit The Nest! Photobucket image
  • edited December 2011
    I'm having my reception at round hill house as well, Nov 2010. It is a great location of you are looking for something different then a ballroom. When I booked in March most of the good fall dates for 2010 were booked! I went with my 4th choice of Nov 6. Not sure what is available now.
    336a Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • CleorahCleorah member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi! I'm getting married at FEAST Round Hill House this sunday (actually the day of your tasting). Not only is the place fantastic, it's cocmpletely different from anything we had looked at. I love the people who work there. The whole staff is accomodating and truly caring. The grounds are gorgeous and we loved the place so much that we figure even if the weather isn't great (we've seen it mostly in rain ;) ) we are still happy with it. The food is great and they really work with you to make it your day. Good luck!
  • ssagessage member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I do not know anything about Orange County...but i just wanted to chime in to say don't get stressed or discouraged that all the dates are filling up.  I am getting married in 23 days (holy sh**) and I started looking at venues last aug/sept and there were venues that had alot of dates filled up with only fridays available as well (like the grandview) but i ended up finding the perfect place and YOU WILL TOO!!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    I'm also getting married at FEAST (Round Hill). I actually like that the dancing is in a different (but immediately adjacent) room... I wanted something different than that ballroom feel of the dance floor smack in the middle of the room. It's a beautiful building, very reasonable, and different than the traditional "reception hall."But I'll concur with a pp that on the NNJ board (I live in NJ), the Tides is one of the most popular venues.
  • tommynkristentommynkristen member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you so much everyone, I can't say how helpful all of your recommendations and kind words are; made me feel better about alot of things. I'm REALLY looking forward to seeing FEAST after hearing all of these wonderful things about them.  That's exactly what we are looking for - something different.  :)  I'll let you guys know how we make out.  To those getting married in the coming days and weeks, good luck and congrats!!!  (and thanks for taking the time to message me!) 
    May 2006 image
  • spool28spool28 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It's not in Orange County, but me and my financee have our wedding next october at the Villa Borghese. It's in Dutchess County. one of the reason we picked there is they work with you. Meaning if you need to cut corners, there are a few things to help you out. Also if it is raining there are so many places inside to take beautiful pictures. Also they just started a refferal program. If we find a couple to book their wedding there, depending on the day, we both get a fwew dollars off per person. Let me know if you want some more info. And the place isn't that far from I-84
  • specs1624specs1624 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm not sure if I'm too late to contribute, but we're getting married in Warwick so we are basically the same area.  Our reception is at Hunt's Landing in Matamoros,(sp?) PA.  Which is only about 1/2 an hour away.  Prices are VERY reasonable and it's a best western and they are building a Hampton Inn right next door.  A lot comes with the packages and they've got a nice pond with a gazebo in the center for pictures.  There's also the Warwick Country Club, and there is one other place in Warwick (not Chateau Hathorn) but I don't remember the name, but if you google warwick and wedding you will find it. Good luck!
  • MJF10605MJF10605 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi!! This is my first post, ever! I just came across your post and have lots to say to you!We have booked at the Inn at Central Valley.  I must say, your situation sounds so familiar to me!! We also visited Caitlin Gardens and fell in love, UNTIL we saw the Inn at Central Valley. This was for more than one reason. The Inn has all inclusive packages and a really nice wedding planner that we fell in love with. Plus, my family is from the Binghamton area while my finace's family is from Westchester. I wanted something that wasn't in the westchester area and easy to get to from upstate. So, the website for the Inn was lame, and we visited thinking it was not at all going to be what we wanted but we really were in for a surprise. You should just visit and consider all of you options. To me, it was a great deal and a great place. One thing we did not like was that it was kind of outdated.....little did we know that they have huge plans for renovations that they are starting in Novemeber and will be done by next season!!! And the renovations are to change everyhing we did not like. It was so weird. Kind of like the right place at the right time sort of thing. I hope this helps you. I'm not sure just what you are looking for, but I do know that I wanted to give you my input about The Inn. If you do go, ask for Jennifer. She is wonderful and so sweet. Good luck!!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards