Favors

Seedling Trees for Favors

We have been considering doing seedling trees as we want something that people are not just going to throw away and we have a lot of family that is diabetic, so we don't want to do candy or cookies.  Does anyone know of a good site or place to purchase them.  We also don't want to spend a ton on our favors and are willing to do so of the prep work instead of paying for it.

Re: Seedling Trees for Favors

• edited December 2011
    Skip the favors then. Most people will not take the trees. You'll be stuck with most of them. I live in an apt., what do I want with them? For those that live in a house, do they have space for it or room in their garden? Do they even like to garden?Do a donation to the Arbor Day Foundation instead of favors. Have 1 sapling in a pot and a sign about it near the guest book or cake table. Or use them as a centerpieces and raffle them off (or just give them away to whoever wants them) at the end of the night. You'll at least have fewer trees to deal with at the end. Or since there is family with diabetes, do a donation to a diabetes foundation.
  • kmmssgkmmssg mod
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    I have to ditto the others.  You will spend a lot of money on these and people will not be taking them home to plant them.  I'm not trying to be snarky, I'm trying to help you save a lot of money. Skip the favors all together - it's really not a big deal.  I am one of "those" people who have left the flower seed packets behind.  Keep in mind how much work it is to get a sapling to actually make it into being a real tree.  You have to baby that thing, water it, string it up, etc.  That's a lot of work. Your heart is in a very nice place, but I really think you will be disappointed in the results at the end of your reception.
  • edited December 2011
    I think its a really nice idea, but the reality is that it will be way too much money and people are going to leave it behind. Not everyone has the time or the want to take care of plants. Its a good alternative to candies. But there are many other alternatives besides those. Get bubbles and put a little paper scroll with a thank you note. Use soaps, CD's (with pictures or songs), Fans (hand made by decorative paper and print your names on them), candles... etc... there are endless possiblities.If you willing to make your own things, you can even make your own soap or candle! Pick a mold and make it yourself! Its really easy!Hope this helps!For more ideas google wedding favor ideas. There are many things to choose from!Good Luck!
  • edited December 2011
    we're doing a lucky bamboo shoot in a glass flower pot.  hopefully people will take them home - from those i've talked to they'd rather have it than a bag of cheapo candies.here's the website we used for the bamboo:http://www.buyluckybamboo.comwe're buying the bulk 500 shoots and then going to a glass factory and getting the pots for cheap (.25 each) and then putting gravel from a hardware store in the pot - all for less than $1 each!here's a pic: http://benandrachel.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/bamboo_favor1.jpg?w=106&h=126
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards