Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions
Options

Ceremony site just cancelled!

I am soooo upset. We just found out that the place where we are having our ceremony is no longer having weddings. We just mailed the invites out a couple weeks ago (to make sure people had time to get their passports being that we are having the ceremony in Canada and the reception in the States).

My mom actually read about it on facebook and called me. I am so upset and angry and I am just plain freaking out. There are no sites in the area where we can have it inside, the invites were mailed and if we have the ceremony in the States, we can't have the officiant we hired!

The most upsetting part: I went there 2 weeks ago to confirm some information and everything was A-ok!! Cry
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Ceremony site just cancelled!

• Options
    Did you have a signed contract with them?
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    No. We had a verbal agreement only. I should have known better Frown
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Did you have a deposit or anything?  I'm really hoping you aren't out any money on this
    PersonalMilestone Daisypath Anniversary tickers image
  • Options
    No. They offered the hall for free to brides this summer in order to attract attention to the site. It is more the fact that the invites are sent, the officiant hired and now we have to find somewhere else and contact everyone.... Just so dissapointed because it is a beautiful place.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    That sucks, but thank god you're not out anything.  I'd consider this an incredibly lucky learning experience. A lot of brides learn the hard way that not having things in writing can bite you in the ass.  At least you got off pretty easy and didn't lose money.

ETA: And, that sucks about invites being out already.  But it really was too early to send them out.
  • Options
    The only reason I sent the invites out so early is to ensure everyone knew to get their passports. Also, on theknow checklist, it says to send them out at the 3 month mark.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Have you actually talked to the folks at the venue you've been working with?  If not, stop in and see them.  If you discuss with them rationally, perhaps, even for a fee, they would honor just your wedding.  The FB post could have been to notify future prospective brides.  You can look for alternative venues now, but take the time to have a non-freaked out discussion and see if you can sort something out with the venue.  Good luck!
  • Options
    Avion22Avion22 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited March 2012
    I agree that you should talk to your venue before you freak out too much.   I would hope that if everything wasn't "A-OK" as they told you two weeks ago, they would at least call you to let you know.  If they didn't, then it sounds to me like they just aren't taking new weddings.    

If you can't get married there, then that does suck.  Hopefully you can find another venue, or maybe move your ceremony to your reception locating and do everything in the same place?
    DSC_9275
  • Options
    My mom is supposed to call them and see what is going on. When she called last night, the employee replied that they weren't doing weddings at all anymore. So, mom asked to speak to the owner, who wasn't there.

She left him a msg that the invites are out, that no one contacted us and that she wanted him to call her. (I would have done it myself but I do not have a phone and the only way I can call or have someone call me is through webcam. )

So, I emailed the owner and mom is waiting for a reply phonecall. If he doesn't call her back, tomorrow I will buy Skype minutes and do it myself. That's when the employee said he would be in.

If not, my grandmother just offered an outdoor solution if it is nice out. If not, I think I now have an idea. I will just rent a regular receptin hall that isn,t used for weddings.

Thank you ladies. You all seem to hold the magical power to calming me down. Thanks for your support and ideas!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_ceremony-site-just-cancelled?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:10Discussion:4ef20f17-ff5b-4b75-9e2c-9257dc091ad4Post:45e97431-ab9b-45d2-950f-e514bf80a2f3">Re: Ceremony site just cancelled!</a>:
    [QUOTE] ETA: And, that sucks about invites being out already.  But it really was too early to send them out.
    Posted by NOLAbridealmost[/QUOTE]
    I disagree.  The OP said most of her guests would need to get passports, which I know from experience can take 1-2 months to acquire. 
    PersonalMilestone Daisypath Anniversary tickers image
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_ceremony-site-just-cancelled?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:10Discussion:4ef20f17-ff5b-4b75-9e2c-9257dc091ad4Post:0d6e7f61-beb9-4809-bfa2-bf051b72b2d6">Re: Ceremony site just cancelled!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ceremony site just cancelled! : I disagree.  The OP said most of her guests would need to get passports, which I know from experience can take 1-2 months to acquire. 
    Posted by ChristineNB[/QUOTE]

<div>That's what save the dates are for.  Invitations go out 6-8 weeks before the wedding. </div><div>
    </div><div>STDs give guests the notice they need to prepare for their travel plans without including specifics like the venue information so that the wedding plans can remain flexible until just a few weeks before the wedding. </div><div>
    </div><div>It's a moot point I guess, but if other brides are reading this they'll know: that's why invites don't go out earlier than that. </div>
  • Options
    Are there any family members that have a big yard or house you could have it in? 2 months away puts you right in the middle of wedding season so its going to be really really hard to find somewhere that has an opening.  But I'd call around either way, you might be able to grab a cancellation or something.  Also think about switching to an early afternoon wedding that my open some venues up. Good luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I agree to actually speak to the owner before freaking out.  I may be that they aren't taking NEW weddings but they will honor those they've already committed to.  I agree that you also need to get EVERYTHING in writing.  Nothing wrong with sending the invitations out earlier, especially with the need for passports.  Those wedding timelines aren't etched in stone and they really are more guidelines than they are commandments.
  • Options
    Wow, that sicks. I hope everything is Ok and that the owner can work with you. I know it's not a formal agreement, but in some states even a verbal agreement is legally inding (back in the day a hand shake agreement was just as good as a written one). I truly hope you can fix this. If you do have to find another site, at least you still have some time to do it. Good luck.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards