Snarky Brides

Help me camera shop

I need help camera shopping! H and I aren't really good at remembering to take pictures so I don't want anything super fancy. I just am not happy with our current camera and how the lightening in the pictures turns out. My only priority with the new camera is that it takes good pictures. Does anyone have any suggestions? We arent looking for a photographer grade camera but we are pretty open to type, size, features, etc. Thanks!
imageBabyFruit Ticker

Re: Help me camera shop

• I don't know what a DSLR is so I guess point and shoot? I guess it doesn't matter to me as long as it takes good pictures both inside and outside and doesn't cost more than $300. Less than $300 would be even better.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm shopping for a really good camera myself (something super high qual that'll last forever) but I really do like my little point and shoot that I got as a gift.  The quality is pretty darn great, it was affordable, and it fits in my pocket which is a must-have for me.

• We got this one. It has extra features like a DSLR, but without having to purchase the fancy lenses.
    http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-Coolpix-Digital-Camera-Zoom-Nikkor/dp/B00427ZLRO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1338238112&sr=8-1
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I've had awesome luck with my Canon Powershot cameras.  Over the years I've had 3-4 different models, and they've all been awesome. Super easy to use, great quality pictures... for not a lot of money. :) My most recent was the 1300? I think they're now the ELPH ones though? I dunno for sure. 

My only advice is to stay away from Kodak, unless they've changed teh software bundle. That editing program was shiiit and you had to use it. (I haven't used a Kodak camera in a few years though.)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_help-me-camera-shop?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:42147696-5322-4ea7-96b4-69e07435eaf5Post:d28c506a-fb2f-46df-91a2-65cc13c2c66a">Re: Help me camera shop</a>:
    [QUOTE]I've had awesome luck with my Canon Powershot cameras.  Over the years I've had 3-4 different models, and they've all been awesome. Super easy to use, great quality pictures... for not a lot of money. :) My most recent was the 1300? I think they're now the ELPH ones though? I dunno for sure.  My only advice is to stay away from Kodak, unless they've changed teh software bundle. That editing program was shiiit and you had to use it. (I haven't used a Kodak camera in a few years though.)
    Posted by Steph+J[/QUOTE]

<div>Not a problem now.  The software I got with mine (2 ish years ago) is really nice and I can use all kinds of other formatting software with it.</div>
  • I second all who said canon powershot. Its small and easy to pack along in a purse of any size too.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_help-me-camera-shop?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:42147696-5322-4ea7-96b4-69e07435eaf5Post:4183870b-342b-4f9f-8f43-718efcedf24d">Re: Help me camera shop</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Help me camera shop : Not a problem now.  The software I got with mine (2 ish years ago) is really nice and I can use all kinds of other formatting software with it.
    Posted by anna.oskar[/QUOTE]

<div>good to know. My mom had a Kodak 2-3 years ago and you had to use their software to pull the pictures off the camera.  If that's changed, then I guess it might be worth it.</div><div>
    </div><div>I've always been recommended Canon or Nikon for point-and-shot cameras, and I've never gone wrong there :)</div>
  • Thanks for everyone's advice. I have a Nikon coolpix 630 right now and I'm not impressed. Maybe I'll go with something like Ali posted. . Camera shopping stresses me out because I don't want to make a crappy decision.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Hey hike! I have a canon powershot as well. I believe its the sx210? I actually used to only by Nikon's before but I love this camera. Both my mom and sister have canons as well and love them. I hate camera shopping too. I always do a bunch of research and then never know what to get and takes me a good few weeks before I buy one. 
  • Hi Geeg!! Thanks lady. :-)
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • I have a canon powershot elph 300 HS. It's awesome! I use it when I don't want to carry my dslr (heavy!).
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thanks guys! I'm going to read about all of these and then have H look too. I'm getting excited now. I've put off taking pictures for months because I hate the way mine turn out. Plus, he will be leaving soon so it will be awesome to be able to send him really good photos!
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Winnertag1Winnertag1 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited May 2012
    Canon Powershot Elph 110. I work with cameras all day & thats my go to camera for someone who wants a basic camera, thats small & takes good pictures. The ELPH 100 was amazing for this but it is now discontinued. The ELPH 110 is even better, better zoom, better megapixels, it shoots in HD video & also has some manual features if you wanted to play around with it. 

522805_10151186959893168_80368830_n_zps80e4c057
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I have the Cannon G12 and I really like it.  I bought the attachment flash thing and its pretty awesome.  H called my wedding photographer to ask him for a suggestion for a great camera.  I dont know much about lenses and all that jazz, but I wanted a camera that takes really high quality pictures.  I have no complaints about it and I am really happy with the pictures.

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Digital-Optical-Stabilized-Vari-Angle/dp/B0041RSPRS
    045_45-1 photo 045_45-1.jpg
    BabyFruit Ticker
    DX: PCOS/Recurrent losses/MTHFR mutation (compound hetero)
    5 hysteroscopies/2 surgical
    3 Inject IUIs = 2 m/c's and 1 BFN
    IVF #1= BFP. m/c at 7w6d. Needed 2 D&C's and scar tissue removal. Mild OHSS
    IVF #2 = BFP. Severe OHSS. 4 Drainings. TWINS!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_help-me-camera-shop?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:42147696-5322-4ea7-96b4-69e07435eaf5Post:e2e7de82-25d5-4743-b89e-66ef9fefb049">Re: Help me camera shop</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have the Cannon G12 and I really like it.  I bought the attachment flash thing and its pretty awesome.  H called my wedding photographer to ask him for a suggestion for a great camera.  I dont know much about lenses and all that jazz, but I wanted a camera that takes really high quality pictures.  I have no complaints about it and I am really happy with the pictures. <a href="http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Digital-Optical-Stabilized-Vari-Angle/dp/B0041RSPRS" rel="nofollow">http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Digital-Optical-Stabilized-Vari-Angle/dp/B0041RSPRS</a>
    Posted by Blueyed228[/QUOTE]
    I agree with Blue. The Canon G12 is an AMAZING camera, well pretty much the entire G series. The G12 has been replaced by the Canon G1X but if the OP is willing to spend more than $300 on a point & shoot then I would recommend this camera, or even try look for one of the older G series camers (G10 or G11), its still worth the money & they are just as good. 

522805_10151186959893168_80368830_n_zps80e4c057
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • celticmysscelticmyss member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited May 2012
    I was actually just researching cameras this morning and considered posting a thread like this.

I currently have an older Power Shot and I am not thrilled with it. FH has a Coolpix and his camera seems to take superior photos. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards