Second Weddings

**handfast**

They're not giving the H1N1 vaccine to pregnant women because it's a "live" virus.

Re: **handfast**

• hollieheidihollieheidi member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    BTW www.cdc.gov In the first trimester it's too dangerous for mom and baby.  As long as she takes care of herself, takes her prenatals and uses good hand washing that she'll be fine. She should avoid sick people and large crowds as you are contagious for both the flu and H1N1 one day before and 5-7 days after you're sick.  Use hand sanitizer when soap and water aren't available. Congrats on being a grandma!
  • handfast4mehandfast4me member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the congrats.  Hmmm.  This is what comes from not being on the board very long.  Actually, they're not giving the NASAL spray vaccine to pregnant women because it's live.  The injection, which will be available in less than 2 weeks is dead.  That's all I can say.   
    image Don't mess with the old dogs; age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! BS and brilliance only come with age and experience.
    edited December 2011
    Oh, and my daughter is a schoolteacher.  The worst occupation possible at this juncture. 
    image Don't mess with the old dogs; age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! BS and brilliance only come with age and experience.
  • edited December 2011
    Actually, handfast works at the CDC. 
    edited December 2011
    Crap. And I meant to say in my earlier post that the vaccine via needle will be available to pregnant women.  
    edited December 2011
    btw, I work in a hospital, ER, nursery, med/surg, or......
    edited December 2011
    and yes, they are constantly upgrading the recommendations for who may get each of the vaccines. Last year the live flumist was available to asthmatics, however this year it is not.... And if you follow the montly updates on the CDC guidelines, when the H1N1 first broke in the US this year it was recommended to use the N95 respirators however now regular surgical masks are fine... Good handwashing.... Again, I'm sure all the other experts on the H1N1 are aware.........
    edited December 2011
    I'm not getting the H1N1 but we all get the flu shot.  It made me sick once, the flu shot, but I get it twice a year now and don't have any problems. We've had alot of seriously ill kids and adults....it's not been the over 50 set getting the flu that we've seen the most...kids and immunocompromised young adults 25-40.   Even the Influenza A + folks have been really sick... Had at least 1 + H1N1 just last night........  
  • kmmssgkmmssg mod
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    Pregnant women ARE supposed to get the H1N1 injection, but not the flumist.  Handfast - have you discussed with your DD about considering a new OB?
    edited December 2011
    Thanks KM--yeah, I'm not getting into the debate, I know the facts, the science, and people's emotions and what they think happened to them has nothing to do with science. I have talked to her about getting a new OB, but she's limited on what is available to her in her tiny little community and due to her insurance.  So, I'll get make sure she gets H1N1 vaccine as soon as it's available via needle injection, and hopefully, in the meantime, before she's immune, she won't contract it. 
    edited December 2011
    HollieHeidi, can you see TrueLove's post?  BTW, it was smart to delete the post with your full name, etc.  Someone could have grabbed it. 
  • kmmssgkmmssg mod
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    I'm sending lots of healthy flu-free vibes Chelsea's way.  With as much public dialogue as the CDC is getting out there, I am STUNNED that her OB isn't giving the shot. surely this info is on the CDC website.  I wonder if she took it in to his office if he would rethink this decision?    
  • edited December 2011
    Yeah, if anyone had this post on watch, all of the information that you posted was sent to them via e-mail.
  • edited December 2011
    I'm not so sure that if she took in something in writing from the CDC  that it would mean a whole lot more to him than her already having gone in and said "My mother works for theCDC, and I know this:" kwim?    BTW, agreed on the full name, medical journals, credentials, etc etc. You've just made it very easy for one of us to track you down if we wanted to, and she's right, if anyone was subscribed to this thread, it was very conveniently delivered to their in box.
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the good vibes, and support.  I'll transfer those to Chelsea. 
  • SharranMattSharranMatt member
    edited December 2011
    Good healthy vibes to Chelsea. And as far as the fact I think I will stick to trusting Handfast on the fact seeing as how she works for the CDC, I tend to trust her!
    SharraLynn
    edited December 2011
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards