Texas-Dallas and Ft. Worth
Options

Question Re: Cashier's Check

Ok, so I know I could totally just call the bank or even call my realtor and ask her opinion...but...So Steve and I are lazy and we've never changed my name at our bank since we got married (yeah...over a year ago).  So I had to get a cashier's check for tomorrow's closing and the names on the check is my old maiden name and Steve's name.  Is this going to affect closing? Can we still close even though the names on all our documents are "Mariah new-last name"? 

Re: Question Re: Cashier's Check

• Options
    appletango85appletango85 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    hmmm I don't know! GL though!! So excited for you!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I don't think so - I think it could be Joe Blow's name on the check and it wouldn't matter....all they care about is that they get their money. The cashier's check for our closing that should happen at some point in my lifetime maybe has my name on it but my name is no where on the documents for Justin's house since it is only in his name.
  • Options
    stephl3055stephl3055 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    No, it shouldn't.  Our earnest money check was made out using my maiden name and the address on the check wasn't my current address.Also, at the very end of closing they had us sign a document that contained all of our aliases that they had found during the closing process, just to state that all of those names belonged to us even though they were all different.  I think I had about 6 total, with different variations including my full maiden name (including middle name), full name with only middle initial, and so on.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
     and the address on the check wasn't my current address.Thank God!  I just remembered that the check also has our old address on it, too and I was worried about that.  :)
  • Options
    maykiousmaykious member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I was gonna say what Steph said, but she beat me to it :) Also, make sure you sign your name exactly as it's printed. My name was printed with my middle initial, but I didn't think to sign with it since I never do. About half way through the stack of documents, the closing agent realized I wasn't signing my middle initial and made me go back and squeeze it in. Just for the record, I asked at the very first signature whether or not I should be signing my initial and she said it was fine without. Sigh. All of your closing documents should have your married name, though. It should say "Steve and Mariah last name, a married couple."
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yeah, we got a copy of our closing documents to look through them yesterday and they have our first and last names (married-so it's correct).  The only thing not correct is my cashier's check.  So hopefully that won't cause any problems.
  • Options
    l33annal33anna member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Like everyone else says, I don't think it matters, but I just wanted to say that I am so happy for you and your hubs! I know you have been wanting your own place for awhile and now is the time to celebrate!!! Whoop whoop!!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    When's the house warming party? :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Aww thank you :)  The house warming party is actually going to be probably sometime in November I think.  I'm probably going to have a Pampered Chef party.  My MIL is really pushing me to have one! 
  • Options
    kris928kris928 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Mariah, I hope closing goes smoothly for you!!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thank you, Kris!!!  I hope so, too!  I'll be pissed if we get there and they tell us, "oh nevermind we're not ready" and I end up wasting some vacation time.
  • Options
    kris928kris928 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Not to scare you, but thats exactly what happened to us!! We were down the street from the title company and were told that it had to be pushed back til Friday (the next day). When we get there Friday morning there is a paperwork error and more waiting. We finally signed our paperwork at 1 and got our keys at 5!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    OH geez...
  • Options
    kris928kris928 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm sure yours will be a lot easier! I I didn't even see the closing documents until we were signing, plus we were buying from an older woman, she had some kind of over 60 mortgage assistance which we didn't find out about until the.very.last.minute which is what made everything crazy at the end.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards