North Carolina
Options

Raleigh Ceremony Site Recommendations

Hi! 

My fiancee and I are looking for a ceremony site near/in Downtown Raleigh for our Oct. 22, 2011 wedding! We have checked with a bunch of well known places and they are all either booked or way too expensive ($1800+!). We are having our reception at Marbles Kids Museum at 6pm, so we only really need a spot to get married in during the late afternoon. We would love to find something a little unconventional, and I was hoping someone may mention a spot I haven't heard of/thought of yet. 

Thanks for your help!

Re: Raleigh Ceremony Site Recommendations

• Options
    meredithl618meredithl618 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Have you looked at All Saints Chapel? That is a really popular ceremony site for people without a home church in Raleigh.

Other ideas:
    Caffe Luna - you could have the ceremony there and then have them cater/move over to Marbles afterwards (?)
    A park somewhere, Moore Square, Pullen, etc. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Have you looked into the museum of natural science? I believe they do weddings :) That'd be two museums...could be fun :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina_raleigh-ceremony-recommendations?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:115Discussion:0d99b771-5f1d-4bb8-96d4-bfe8549e9c76Post:998bc0db-879b-4fc8-8839-3456091c5c37">Re: Raleigh Ceremony Site Recommendations</a>:
    [QUOTE]Have you looked at All Saints Chapel? That is a really popular ceremony site for people without a home church in Raleigh. <a href="http://www.allsaints1875.com/" rel='nofollow'>http://www.allsaints1875.com/</a> Other ideas: Caffe Luna - you could have the ceremony there and then have them cater/move over to Marbles afterwards (?) A park somewhere, Moore Square, Pullen, etc. 
    Posted by meredithl618[/QUOTE]

All Saints is great but it books fast! I think a park would be nice..I don't think it will be cold yet in Oct.
    Photobucket

• Options
    tarheelbabstarheelbabs member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Mordecai? Or any of the city parks near downtown?  They're all very reasonable.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I would check out Fletcher Park.  Fiance and I went there to check it out and there just so happened to be a wedding ceremony going on at the time.  It was really beautiful. Picture.

Also, I don't know if you are into this kind of thing but Artspace is within walking distance to Marbles.  We also checked this one out (as well as Marbles) and it is very unique!  Link.

I even like the park with the acorn right in front of Marbles but it is very public.  And I know the acorn got dented by the tornadoes so I don't know when they will be fixing that.

Hope this helps!
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    pirategal03pirategal03 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina_raleigh-ceremony-recommendations?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:115Discussion:0d99b771-5f1d-4bb8-96d4-bfe8549e9c76Post:a52e2688-45c6-49a5-8a98-6bd961915d09">Re: Raleigh Ceremony Site Recommendations</a>:
    [QUOTE]I even like the park with the acorn right in front of Marbles but it is very public.  And I know the acorn got dented by the tornadoes so I don't know when they will be fixing that. Hope this helps!
    Posted by thevegetariana[/QUOTE]

I just wanted to add emphasis on the VERY for the public assessment of Moore Square.  It's right by a major bus line hub, so there are lots of people milling around all of the time.  I wouldn't consider it for a ceremony location. 
  • Options
    dancr214dancr214 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We got married at Fred Fletcher Park (near Broughton HS).  It was great and since it is owned by the city it is pretty cheap.  I would check it out!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina_raleigh-ceremony-recommendations?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:115Discussion:0d99b771-5f1d-4bb8-96d4-bfe8549e9c76Post:72c5437d-7a11-49f7-97dc-3c071b2525a4">Re: Raleigh Ceremony Site Recommendations</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Raleigh Ceremony Site Recommendations : I just wanted to add emphasis on the VERY for the public assessment of Moore Square.  It's right by a major bus line hub, so there are lots of people milling around all of the time.  I wouldn't consider it for a ceremony location. 
    Posted by pirategal03[/QUOTE]

<div>In addition I know they've been giving out food to the homeless on the weekend on the Person St side of Moore Square, and the buildings on Person don't make the best backdrop to a wedding...</div>
    1White Knot Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011

I'm planning my wedding for next October and I'm already worried about the weather so I guess you may not want to depend on it being nice outside for a park wedding. I've also found that most of the museums don't allow events before 6pm so that puts a damper on that...

Have you already checked out Haywood Hall and the Tucker House, both are near Marbles? And I also love Mordecai, which has already been mentioned, I wish I could get married in their little chapel.

There's also the Burning Coal Theatre on Polk st. They told me it was $1,500 to rent it for the night but if it's just for a few hours you should be able to get a discount. The Oakwood Inn B&B on North Bloodworth St. may be work-able. You could also try Peace College, I've never been on their campus, just driven by, but it looks nice. 

So, here's where I get labeled as the crazy person but I've heard of it gaining in popularity so I'm just gonna say it: funeral home. There's one right next to the Mordecai house and these facilities often look like places of worship and you did ask for something maybe unconventional... and if you think it sounds crazy then you don't have to do it. I know a girl who used a funeral home as her rain plan rather than renting a tent.

One last slightly less unconventional suggestion: the Pour House on S. Blount St across Moore Square from Marbles. It is a bar (which ok maybe, "ick, I don't want to get married in a bar") but it should be available at that time of day they'll probably charge you little to nothing to use it. It's got pretty much a black box theatre look to it with a small stage. You'll need to rent chairs and you'll probably want to decorate a bit but it could be a good space. It's not a sunny white church wedding feel but if you want to do an alternative fun feel it might actually work.

1White Knot Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm attending a wedding/reception at the Raleigh Rose Garden at the end of the month. I'll have to post my thoughts on the location. I believe it is fairly recent the location has held receptions.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards