Wedding Etiquette Forum

Thank you & GC

If you had written a letter of recommendation/reference for someone, would you appreciate say, a $10 Dunkin GC with a thank you note or would the thank you note be plenty?

I asked 3 people to write a letter of recommendation for me for grad school apps and I really appreciate all that they've done for me over the past few years in terms of being references and then doing this. Just wondering if sending a small GC w/ a TY card would be overkill.

Re: Thank you & GC

• I think I would just do a thank you note, but on the other hand I always love getting random gift cards, so I don't know. Sorry :P I'm no help.
    Leo says hi. He's...special.
    Married
    Planning
  • I should have added that two of the three are former employers and we keep in touch. The other is my favorite college professor, if that makes a difference.

Tlv - I love getting them too!
  • For that situation, I would just do the TY card.  If you're going to see them anytime soon you could bring them a treat then.
  • I don't think you need to go all out with the gift cards by any means. No one is going to wonder why they didn't get a 'gift' too. That being said, I would TOTALLY remember you as extra special if you got me dunks. We already texted that convo though ;)
  • Ditto Julzlee.  I'd just send the TY note and maybe take them a small treat next time you see them.
  • I think you could take them some home made cookies/brownies etc  (if you bake). It seems more personal than a GC, since they did something personal for you.
  • ggmaeggmae member
    First Comment
    edited November 2009
    Meg - I could go for some DD hot chocolate right now, but I'm just going to settle for the hot chocolate mix in my kitchen. :(

Other ladies - thanks! I like the treat idea.
  • Too bad you didn't do that before they wrote the recommendations!

Seriously, I'd love it, but I know at my school you aren't really supposed to give professors gifts. My advisor is especially against it. So if you are still a student, I would advise against it. If you've graduated, it's up to you.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards