October 2012 Weddings

DIY Floral Centerpieces

We're doing our own centerpieces

Originally we planned to do something like this: http://pinterest.com/pin/113786328056076170/ but calla lilies are super expensive and it was really hard to find vases that were tall enough.

Now we're thinking something like this: http://pinterest.com/pin/113786328056090567/ but when we trialed submerging an asiatic lily it looked awful and pollen got EVERYWHERE.

If we only put a little water in the bottom, it's hard to make the stem reach it since it sticks straight out from the bloom and we want the flower to be sideways in the glass. The lilies also seem sort of fragile, and a few lost petals while we tried to get it into the vase.

Any advice on working with the flowers, setting up the vases, etc?

x-posted everywhere...

Re: DIY Floral Centerpieces

• Honestly I'm not a fan of the tall vases with the flowers. I looked at your pinterest page and saw a few things that I liked better. I am doing lanterns and I notice you had pinned something like that. Also the pictures at the top with the smaller bowls with individual flowers was kind of cool. If tall I did like the one that had the candle in it and the one that just had the fall leaves.
  • Use fake floral for submerged pieces.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Fake flowers do best when submerged and you really can't tell the difference. Save yourself some money and head to Michael's/Hobby Lobby. Plus they have 40 or 50% off coupons ALL the time. 
    Anniversary
  • We wanted to do something similar to what you have, but it didn't look right either with our red roses.  We ended up putting clear gems in the bottom of the vase and sticking an open red rose and white flowers into the gems to hold it in place. Originally we had the flower down inside the vase, but since it was so big we extended it above the vase. Then we placed it in the middle of a round mirror base and surrounded the vase with 4 votive candles to illuminate the vase with the flowers.  I don't know how it would look with other flowers but we were happy with how ours turned out.

62198_4988882445003_1730453872_n
  • If your doing fake flowers... I have noticed (at hear at least) CHECK your MICHAELS flowers... sometimes dollar store flowers are better quality!...

I had gotten my flowers for my bouquet at Michaels and had a closer look when I got home and some were frilling, and had burn marks on them... so I returned my 40$ worth of flowers... and got mine at the dollar store... much nicer

well just my 2 cents and my experience...
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_october-2012-weddings_diy-floral-centerpieces?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:56b9bcef-1e34-456e-81f5-cfaa107456b2Discussion:66300764-2291-4c66-898d-61bf585d564cPost:39cd095b-72c1-42bf-9e48-4606155d49d5">Re: DIY Floral Centerpieces</a>:
    [QUOTE]If your doing fake flowers... I have noticed (at hear at least) CHECK your MICHAELS flowers... sometimes dollar store flowers are better quality!... I had gotten my flowers for my bouquet at Michaels and had a closer look when I got home and some were frilling, and had burn marks on them... so I returned my 40$ worth of flowers... and got mine at the dollar store... much nicer well just my 2 cents and my experience...
    Posted by schnugglebug[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>I, too, bought my flowers from the dollar store, they are very nice and look lovely with my wine bottle centerpieces. I've received many complements on them, nobody is the wiser. :-)

</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Unfortunately I haven't found any good quality fake asiatic lilies. I don't have to submerge them,  I just have to figure out what's the best way to work with real flowers.
  • Try hobby lobby our ac moore for fake flowers. I got mine from ac moore and they were a really great quality and then I saw the real touch types at hobby lobby after I has already assembled my flowers.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • All of my flowers are from Hobby Lobby. I watched their ads until they marked floral to 50% off. All the flowers at the base of my brooch bouquet, the bridesmaids' bouquets and the guys' bouts are all fake from there. :)
    Photobucket
    Anniversary
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I used fake flowers for all of my flowers. I purchased them all from efavormart.com. They arrived super fast and were about the quarter of the price of hobby lobby with a sale.
  • I used fake flowers for all of my flowers. I purchased them all from efavormart.com. They arrived super fast and were about the quarter of the price of hobby lobby with a sale. And I didn't have any problems with any fraying, burn marks, or anything....they turned out perfect!!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards