Wedding Photography and Videography Forum
Options

One Photographer or Two?

Hi ladies,

The photographer my fiance and I are hiring has different packages that we can choose from. The first package, for $1750, includes
  • Engagement portrait session (including High Resolution DVD)
  • 10 hours of coverage the day of the event at unlimited locations
  • High Resolution DVD of all images
  • Online gallery for 60 days
The second package, for $2250, includes all of the above plus
  • 11x14 Portrait Print
  • Additional $100 Print Credit
  • Second Photographer
My question is this: is it worth it to pay for the second package so that we have an additional photogrpaher? How many of you have had/are having two photographers? One photographer? I know that the benefits of having two are that they can be in two places at one time, so they can capture moments that otherwise would have been missed (like when the women are getting ready and the men are getting ready at the same time). But, we are also on a budget and we are wondering if one photographer would suffice. I just need some advice from people who have had some experience with having one or two photographers.

Thank you so much!

Re: One Photographer or Two?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Our photog only shot by himself, and I asked his permission to allow a student photographer to shadow him to cover our wedding. I am extremely happy I did because our pro shots were fantastic but the student photog captured some great moments as well. It's personal preference but considering you will get a free enlargement and also the additional $100 print credit, if you can find that extra $500 in your budget I would definitely upgrade! 
    "If wine is getting in the way of your work, get rid of the work."
    Updated Bio
    E-mail Me!
  • Options
    loverikaloverika member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you so much for your advice! We are still trying to decide if we want to put another $500 into photography when we have so many other expenses...but I know that great photography is an important part of a wedding. Hmmm...
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My only other thought was are having videography? If you have already planned on video for the wedding than I may skip on the extra photographer and put that $$ into other wedding bills.
    "If wine is getting in the way of your work, get rid of the work."
    Updated Bio
    E-mail Me!
  • Options
    loverikaloverika member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yes, we are having my uncle do videography. He is not a professional, so it won't be anything fancy, but it will at least capture the ceremony and other moments that we will want to remember. In that case, maybe one photographer will be enough? As far as the large print and the print credit goes...that would be nice to have but maybe we can just wait until after the wedding to think about prints...
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We had 2 photographers and it might sound minor but I loved seeing the getting ready pics of MH. The photographer had a very photojournalistic style and really captured the mood and events of the guys pre-ceremony, which is something I would have never been able to see for myself. I thought those alone made it worth it for getting the 2nd photographer.

Our 2nd photographer also acted as a roaming photobooth and printed out the pictures he took of our guests for them to take home as our favor. So it was great being able to get a ton of pictures of our guests but still have the 1st photographer focus on us.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm considering the same issue, but I think it also has to do with what you want from a photog and what shots you're expecting, too.

For instance, I want someone to get the exact moment my FH sees me coming down the aisle and also when I first come out. How would one photog get both?

As well, some photogs shoot the ceremony from all the way down the aisle with shorter lenses, just using a telephoto for things like the ring exchange. Other times photogs are down and to one side of the ceremony getting facial expressions of bride and groom. I want both and don't see how that can be done by a single person. So two photogs would work better for me.

I think you have to really know what you want before you decide.

All that "$100 photo credit", etc. is just fluff that they throw in anyway. Most photogs will actually work with you on a custom pkg that works better for you. If tell them u don't want that extra stuff in the pkg, they'll work with you and maybe include the 2nd photog for the price of the 1st pkg without the fluff added... or at least go down on the price.
    Seriously, all photogs that I've talked to will customize packages, no problem!

good luck. :)
  • Options
    emmy82087emmy82087 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Go with the second photographer.  The pictures and album are going to be the only thing you can look back on from the day, and it will go by very quickly!! the second photographer can get pictures that just one may not be able to get.   The extra $500 is not a lot in the grand scheme of things.  It also depends on what your budget allows, but don't skimp on photography...
    Mrs. Emily Wolcott June 11, 2011 :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    we only had the budget for one so we went with one.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    156image 108image 48image RSVP Due 5/18
    New Bio
  • Options
    AngelaOct11AngelaOct11 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    For photography the only thing my husband had a preference on was having two photographers.  Our photographer's packages included two photographers.  I am glad we went with them.  They had two different styles of shooting so we had a great variety in our pictures.  It also saved time when doing our group pictures.  We wanted to do as many pictures before the ceremony as we could without seeing each other.  One photographer was with me, my bridesmaids, and my family and the other was with my husband, groomsmen, and his family. 
  • Options
    MsBunny312MsBunny312 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Photography is very important to my fiance. So therefore we are getting two photojournalist style photographers.

However, you really need to way your priorities. It could be really worth it for the two of you if you want a lot of really great pictures. But if a smaller amount is sufficient for you, then don't shell out the extra money.
  • Options
    loverikaloverika member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for all your help ladies. We are trying to take the most inexpensive route with everything for the wedding, so I guess we will just see how much money we have left in our budget after we get a few more things under our belt. $500 is a lot of money...
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm about to start reserching photographers and I plan on looking for a place that can provide 2 that will fit within my budget. Some moments are priceless, so I want to make sure someone is there to capture as much as possible. We will also be on a tight schedule between the ceremony and reception, so having 2 will help cut down on all the standing around. I hope the wedding party and guests will appreciate that they don't have to sit around waiting for us.
  • Options
    rimabeanrimabean member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    For weddings with 150 guests or less, only one photographer is necessary. If you're inviting 150 or more, I'd highly recommend two photographers.

• Options
    artistmadeartistmade member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i had one photgrapher. i wanted it photojournalist style and he did an amazing job. we chose his maxed out plan which was 3600. i think it all comes down to how recommnded they come and of course you seeing an extensive and impressive portfolio. two photographers would be better if you have a larger wedding...400+ guests
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards