Students

Internships

Hello everyone! I'm new to this board, and I didn't see a post about internships, so I thought I'd start one. I'm a senior in animal sciences and looking at possibly taking an internship next summer with a company I'm interested in, possibly several states away. I live with my BF and have discussed it with him, and he seems fine with it. I think it will be insanely difficult to be without him for a whole summer, but if they keep me just a few hours from home (they have lots of locations) then I could come home on weekends. It also depends on if they would pay for my housing, or if it would come out of pocket. We can't afford two house payments! Has anyone else had an experience like this?

Re: Internships

• Uh. I hope this doesn't come across as snarky, but try having your SO on deployment and not being able to see them for months at a time. So yeah, I know what you're going through. I'm also an intern several hours from home. Totally different industry though. You stay busy, so you don't think about the distance too much.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I'm currently a graduate student in the upper peninsula of Michigan and my boyfriend works in Texas. I haven't seen him since the beginning of August and I won't see him until Thanksgiving. If you two have a solid relationship, you will be fine. Take the internship. At this point in your life, you have to make the selfish decisions. If you really love each other, he will understand and still be there when the internship is over. It sucks to do long distance, but you'll be better off professionally after the internship. This may seem harsh, but I was in the same boat last year. I had to decide to try to find a job when I graduated or go on to grad school. Obviously I chose the latter. It's hard, but I know it was the right decision in the long run. Hope this helps!
  • I think that it will all be ok, but I have to land the internship first! We'll see how this all plays out and not worry about it until the time comes. Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards