Pennsylvania

Question of the Day: Proposal?

How did FI/DH propose?(A) Did you talk about it beforehand & knew it was eventually coming?(B) Did it come out of left field & totally shock you?(C) Did your FH/DH ask for your hand before he asked you??
"If wine is getting in the way of your work, get rid of the work."
Updated Bio
E-mail Me!

Re: Question of the Day: Proposal?

• edited December 2011
    (A) Did you talk about it beforehand & knew it was eventually coming? It seemed a lot of our friends were getting engaged in our first two years of dating. We kind of spoke of e-rings (since we were seeing so many flashed in front of us) and how I needed something with a very secure setting because of working with the horses. Other than that it wasn't something we discussed.(B) Did it come out of left field & totally shock you? Actually yes! The year DH proposed to me, I was being honored for some awards at a convention in OKC that June. I really thought he would ask me while we were out there. He did not. We went to the beach in August and that is where he proposed. It was really romantic and cute (walking on the beach that night) but as he was down on his knee asking, I was so scared the ring was going to end up  in the sand or surf. As soon as he had it on my finger and I said yes, we ran up on the boardwalk so I could look at it up close.(C) Did your FH/DH ask for your hand before he asked you?? YES! DH asked my Father in the beginning of the summer. He later told me that the jeweler making my ring had initially made it in yellow gold. He had planned on proposing while we were in OKC, but with the gold mix up the jeweler had to start from scratch and it wasn't done in time.
    "If wine is getting in the way of your work, get rid of the work."
    Updated Bio
    E-mail Me!
  • edited December 2011
    (A) Did you talk about it beforehand & knew it was eventually coming? We did talk about it a few times. He asked me once if we ever got engaged what shape stone do I like. All I told him was a princess cut and he got me the most perfect ring! We also now have a one year old so I assumed it would eventually happen. (B) Did it come out of left field & totally shock you? It did actually. He told me it would be at least a year or two before we would ever get engaged. Last year on christmas eve when I was sleeping at 7 in the morning he came to say goodbye to me before work and he layed down next to me and asked if I loved him. i told him yes and he started massaging my hands and put the ring on and asked if I would marry him (while I was basically still asleep). It was wonderful! (C) Did your FH/DH ask for your hand before he asked you?? He did. My father died when I was 4 so he not only asked my mother, but apparently he asked my closest brother too!
  • edited December 2011
    A. I did not know it was coming. We really never talked about it. We would occasionally mention that we were in the relationship for the long run but never said marriage.B. It did shock me. Apparently my reaction was "are you shi**ing me". I don't remember saying that. Eventhough I was shocked, I was kind of expecting/hoping for it. We were on vacation when he proposed.C. No. My FI is super shy and had a hard enough time making out the words "will you marry me" let alone talking to my parents.
  • edited December 2011
    (A) Did you talk about it beforehand & knew it was eventually coming? Yes -- he knew that if by the end of the year we weren't engaged he wouldn't have a place to live.. :-) it was the first time i flew out to spend christmas with his parents, and my mom told me before i left that she assumed it would happen then, since we usually spent the holidays apart. (B) Did it come out of left field & totally shock you? i didn't expect it that day at all -- but i knew at some point in the new few months. (C) Did your FH/DH ask for your hand before he asked you?? haha...on the phone, after i told my mom, he asked to talk to my dad - AFTER he had proposed - and said he had a question for him but was a little late...his question "so, do i get a dowry?" ...my dad, without missing a beat said "yeah, we have a suitcase full of old junk in the hall closet you can have".
  • edited December 2011
    (A) Did you talk about it beforehand & knew it was eventually coming?Not really...we've been together for over 5 years, so if anything we both were comfortable with our relationship and both did not want to get married.B) Did it come out of left field & totally shock you?See above ;)  Yes, it was very shocking!  Even more shocking that I said yes and am now planning the wedding that I never wanted!C) Did your FH/DH ask for your hand before he asked you??No.  That was one thing that we had discussed before.  When my sister got engaged her FI asked my dad's permission prior to asking him.  He couldn't keep a secret and told the whole family, so when she called us with the news everyone was like "yeah, I heard.  Congrats!"  The was he asked was very cool though.  We were on vacation in Block Island, RI and went to visit the sacred labyrinth there.  The legend is that you go into the labyrinth with a question you're seeking an answer to.  When you reach the center you will find the answer, and on the way out you will find the steps you need to take to get to your answer.  So when we got to the center he got down on one knee and said that the answer to his question was in my hands now.  I was shocked and confused and first said "are you serious?"  How cute is he?  :)
  • edited December 2011
    1. We knew from the start that if things went well we would get married. Especially once I moved out here. I don't know if it would have been the same if he wasn't military.2. I wasn't even wearing pants: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkKLANmUbF43. He asked my dad for his blessing.
    On bed rest since Groundhog's Day and every day since has been exactly the same.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Blog
  • sgoldsgold member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    (A) Did you talk about it beforehand & knew it was eventually coming?We had started talking about the idea of getting married about 2 1/2 years into our relationship so I did know it was going to be the next step for us. Not too long before the proposal happened we stopped in a jewelers just to see what styles I liked for engagement rings.(B) Did it come out of left field & totally shock you?Kind of. I had a bit of a sneaking suspicion that something was going to happen that night because of the vibe I was getting from him. He seemed a little nervous and I could feel it at times. The way he actually proposed was such a surprise and really knocked me off my feet! It was wonderful. (C) Did your FH/DH ask for your hand before he asked you?? Yes, one weekend when we went to visit my parents he kind of told them that he was going to do it pretty soon. I had no idea he talked to them about it. It was apparently pretty early in the morning so he did it while I was still sleeping.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards