Military Brides

military wedding colors?!?

My fiance wants to wear his uniform during our wedding. He's in the air force so his uniform is navy blue. I been trying to think of other color schemes that i can use with navy blue but i'm having a difficult time. 

Any suggestions?

Re: military wedding colors?!?

• kyrgyzstankyrgyzstan member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Use whatever colors you want!
    I hate Dave Ramsey
  • edited December 2011
    navy blue and fuschia look really pretty together and navy blue and yellow too.
    Here's a link for navy color combos on the perfect palette...hope this helps!
  • calindicalindi member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    There are seriously any color spectrum in the rainbow to go with military uniforms.  Don't try to match too closely, it ends up looking cookie-cutter.  Uniforms are meant to be neutral, so they go with nearly anything! It's like a white wedding dress - it really doesn't have to factor into your color scheme at all.

For what it's worth, my FI will be wearing his Marine Dress Blues, and I wanted colors that complimented my venue (an old mansion with very dark ornate carved wood walls) and the mood of the event while not conflicting with FI's uniform.  We are having cornflower blue, antique gold, with splashes of cream, peach, pink, and butter yellow.  Basically, antique garden party is the look I'm going for (you can see pics in my bio, which has a clicky below in my signature).  I think it'll look great with his uniform with the touches of gold, but that wasn't my main consideration when picking.

Where are you getting married?  Indoor/outdoor ceremony?  How modern or how classic do you want the wedding to feel?  Are you traditional or do you want to go with something unusual and unique?  Those will tell me a lot more to give you ideas on colors!

Anniversary

• LetsHikeTodayLetsHikeToday member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We did navy blue and bright pink. If you click on the We Got Married, you can look at my pictures to get an idea of what they look like together. Other suggestions- lime green or yellow
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • iluvmytxrgriluvmytxrgr member
    edited December 2011
    Just pick colors that you like.  Don't try to match the uniform.  More often than not, it looks off when people do try to get matchy with the uniform. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Sammy0709Sammy0709 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011

Mine was a religious ceremony/vow renewal but, we used whatever we wanted.  DH was in cracker jacks and 2 of his groomsmen were in Army dress blues.  I used watermelon and cornflower.

Not at great pic but you get the idea.

• iluvmytxrgriluvmytxrgr member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_military-wedding-colors?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:cbc7e2a4-a9f1-4987-ad6c-0e642e5f4974Post:4ee216bc-5ffd-4ce7-b5cc-9afef1dcca48">Re: military wedding colors?!?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Mine was a religious ceremony/vow renewal but, we used whatever we wanted.  DH was in cracker jacks and 2 of his groomsmen were in Army dress blues.  I used watermelon and cornflower. Not at great pic but you get the idea.
    Posted by Sammy0709[/QUOTE]
    Very pretty!!
  • edited December 2011
    Pick the colors you like! Consider your venue, the season, and then go for your favorite color combos.  When you try to get too matchy matchy, it often comes out looking kind of strange.  I did Black, White and Red, because that's my favorite color combination, plus it went with our time of year (right before Christmas) and our venue (a mountainy lodge on the Hood Canal), it looked great with his uniform, but like Calindi said, uniforms are meant to be some what neutral..
    Photobucket
  • KendallR10KendallR10 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're using peacock colors and he's wearing his class As and the GM are wearing Class Bs
    Military Brides December 2011 Siggy. Holiday picture with your SO. We suck and don't have one :/ Those who matter don't mind and those who mind don't matter.
  • edited December 2011
    HEY So I saw this post earlier and I think everyone has given great advice! BUT I came across this today while bored and browsing the itnernet at work (yes, tough job I have lol jk ) ... it's just color scheme ideas not military specific but I thought I would post it here.  It might give you some inspiration :)
     http://www.stumbleupon.com/su/18so0G/emmalinebride.com/planning/wedding-inspiration-boards-by-color

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011
    You can do whatever colors you like!
    The weddings I've been to where the groom and groomsmen were in AF mess dress:
    - green and brown
    - fuschi/blue/white
    - yellow/blue/white
    - pink/green/white
    - purple/blue/white
  • lissetterlissetter member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are doing navy and white with red accents and my fiance is also in the Air Force. I love the way the colors look together especially navy and white but we are not doing it to match his uniform. I chose this color scheme before I even knew he planned to wear it. We want to get married around the fourth of july because that is my birthday and the day we met so it has sentimental value to us. So our wedding will definitely have an Americana feel to it.

Other combos I love using navy are navy and a bright green, navy and yellow, and navy and pink. I agree though that matching his uniform is not necessary. I just happen to love navy blue :)
  • ceplina9270ceplina9270 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hey my fiance is also in the airforce! He will be wearing his uniform as well, the colors that I have picked out are white, navy blue and gold. Navy blue accents though like flowers and such because I want him to stick out, then I have a white dress with some gold on it and I chose gold because it will go with all of the badges and medals on his uniform
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.weddings.com/Sites/Weddings/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_military-wedding-colors?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:cbc7e2a4-a9f1-4987-ad6c-0e642e5f4974Post:446d220e-c1af-4362-b593-14bab0bf253b">Re: military wedding colors?!?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Pick the colors you like! Consider your venue, the season, and then go for your favorite color combos.  When you try to get too matchy matchy, it often comes out looking kind of strange.  I did Black, White and Red, because that's my favorite color combination, plus it went with our time of year (right before Christmas) and our venue (a mountainy lodge on the Hood Canal), it looked great with his uniform, but like Calindi said, uniforms are meant to be some what neutral..
    Posted by SamiJoe

When you did red, black and white what color were you BM dresses? Did just your husband wear mess dress or his groomsmen?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards