Snarky Brides

Pet Loves, come on in!

We all know we have lots of fur babies and we love them, but my question is : When did you get your fur babies?
Were you and your current bf/fi/dh together and you got them together? Were they from a prior relationship?

I came into the relationship with Demon the cat and the rats, Mary, Honey and Pox. I picked Demon up off the streets when she was 5 weeks old during the summer before my Junior year in college. The rats were actually purchased by my ex-bf and were supposed to be his pets. I was the one taking care of them however and when we split I told him I was keeping them.

Scott brought our dog, Katie Whompus to the house. His father purchased Katie when she was a puppy and when he passed away in 2003 Scott inherited her in a way. She hated females and was too much for his mother or sister to handle so he had to take her or they were going to give her away. I'm so glad he took her :)

He actually bought Diamond the chinchilla because I told him to before we were dating. We were both working at the same PetSmart and Diamond hated me, but loved him. I got him to buy her so I never had to deal with her again. Now she's my precious baby and I love her to bits.

We want to get another kitten eventually, as well as more rats when I'm ready.

Re: Pet Loves, come on in!

• edited July 2010
    we did a no-no and got our puppy together when we'd been dating a year and were not engaged yet. we wanted an English golden retriever and found a breeder close by that had a litter coming up, so we put our name down. we wanted a girl, but all the girls were taken already, but we had first choice of boys. our boy Murphy was hyper and came up to us readily, so we picked him. he's great and the sweetest dog you'd ever meet, yet timid. he's scared of cars and thunderstorms and never barks unless we say "speak." (which is both a good thing and a bad thing)

the day we got him in 2007:

the day we got engaged, in April 2008.

last fall:

all the most recent pictures of him are still on my phone.

when I get a job, we want to get him a roommate. I think either a schnauzer mix or a westie. definitely a girl this time. I want to call her Molly.

Glenna Harding Photography
  • Katie--I love PetSmart! Banfield is Bax's vet.

I adopted Bax from a shelter in the worst (literally) area of NJ.  My friend adopted him, bc we had to have proof of house ownership (I rent), so the shelter people thought we were les lovers.

FI actually took care of Bax for a year while we were long distance--he was lonely :).  We've had him for 3 years now. 
  • I got Tele from the local shelter. He had been the town's Most Wanted, due to repeated escapes and at large's, and the owners had finally surrendered him. I had lost my Layla a few months earlier, and as aware that I needed another field assistant. I'm a geologist working in cougar and grizzly country. I went by the shelter to get used to the idea of another dog, and spotted him. 

I adopted him the next morning, after calling via satellite phone to my FI, who was in the field in BF nowhere, Argentina. i got ahold of him, and his response was 'What ever, honey. He's your dog, it doesn't effect me.' Once I got him to understand that it would impact his life as we were getting married, he was supportive of it. When he finally came home, it was the proverbial Man and His Dog from there on out. Tele only snuggles with me when he's sick. But he's still cute.

AMA over 40
    Massive uterine fibroids removed 3/06
    BFP 1/11; MM/C discovered @ 10w, loss at 6w; Cytotec
    B/W 7/11 = normal CD3, FSH 8.9; 7DPO progesterone 1.7
    Three Clomid cycles, all BFN, Off to an RE for me...
    FSH=8.7 E2=30 AMH=1.8 HSG clear, SA=great
    Inj. IUI #1 12/9/11 BFN, Inj. IUI #2 1/6/12 BFN
    Inj. IUI #3 1/30/12 BFP!, HCG doubled through 6w, 7w u/s mm/c twins
    Lost our known donor to unplanned pregnancy
    Factor V Leiden, Hetero, symptomatic
    Op Hysteroscopy 5/12, removed scar tissue and uterine septum
    Doing Cryo-DE IVF and older child adoption (Home visit- Check!)
    Beautiful hatching 5-blast transfered 8/30
    BFP 9/7/12 EDD May 19, 2013, beta #1=291 beta #2=762 beta #3=7306
    Sneek peak u/s shows HB at 6w1d!!! 123bpm!
    Still have a HB at 18w0d!!! 142bpm! Grow, baby, grow!
    Great NT scan, but, placenta previa. Resolving!
    Labile Hypertension, placed on HBP meds to try to avoid pre-e
    A/S on 12/21/12, Petra's having a baby, it's the end of the world!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    PGAL Siggy Challenge- Animal Hangovers!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    "Petra, you are an obese 40+ year old. Stop jumping through these hoops. Just adopt already. There is no shame in that." -Deethebee

• Tiny my great dane puppy is me and my FI lil doggie. I bought him a little over 2months ago, he is the best!

Until I walked in the house today to find the back dog room COVERED in dirt and plants...it looks like him and my moms chocolate lab Hershe had some fun while I was gone. It was actually pretty funny. I have a chinchilla too...my little sister named her and her name is Ruby Had A Little Lamb...aye 5yr olds name pets the weirdest names.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_pet-loves-come?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:46605e9a-8d5d-4581-8432-47462f14ebafPost:b62799c0-0fc8-4c34-a947-4036a921d575">Re: Pet Loves, come on in!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I got Tele from the local shelter. He had been the town's Most Wanted, due to repeated escapes and at large's, and the owners had finally surrendered him. I had lost my Layla a few months earlier, and as aware that I needed another field assistant. I'm a geologist working in cougar and grizzly country. I went by the shelter to get used to the idea of another dog, and spotted him.  I adopted him the next morning, after calling via satellite phone to my FI, who was in the field in BF nowhere, Argentina. i got ahold of him, and his response was 'What ever, honey. He's your dog, it doesn't effect me.' Once I got him to understand that it would impact his life as we were getting married, he was supportive of it. When he finally came home, it was the proverbial Man and His Dog from there on out. <strong>Tele only snuggles with me when he's sick. But he's still cute.</strong>
    Posted by PetraStonegirl[/QUOTE]

Gotta love the pets.  Bax snuggled in bed this morning because there were really bad thunderstorms all day.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_pet-loves-come?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:46605e9a-8d5d-4581-8432-47462f14ebafPost:2827a80b-e7fa-4249-a683-1a95daf010a3">Re: Pet Loves, come on in!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Pet Loves, come on in! : Gotta love the pets.  Bax snuggled in bed this morning because there were really bad thunderstorms all day.
    Posted by npasquale16[/QUOTE]
    we had thunderstorms all day today too, so Murphy was especially needy. he snuggled and followed us from room to room.

Glenna Harding Photography
  • hey ladies!  i've been lurking for a little.  Thought I should introduce myself.  I'm Courtney and my fi is Ryan.  We are getting married in October in MD.

I had to jump in with the fur babies post because we sure love our baby, Carlie

When did you get your fur baby?  I got Carlie, three years ago...she was 8 weeks old.

Were you and your current bf/fi/dh together and you got them together? I got carlie a few months before ryan and I met.  He has fully adopted her now though.  He spoils her so much.  She is so sweet and spunky

Eventually, Ryan wants to get a black lab
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Photobucket
  • I got both of my cats before meeting Scott, and of course brought them along with me to our house.  The rats we got together (my Christmas present to Scott) and the dog is new.  Technically, she is our dog, but I got her after Scott left for Uganda and he hasn't met her yet.  I picked her out and paid for her though.
  • Yay pets!

FI and I just got our pup, Puckett.  He's a Goberian (Siberian Husky/ Golden Retriever) and he's a handful, but we love him!

We've only had him about 2 and a half months; we got him from the humane society when he was 8 weeks old.  We'd love to get another dog, once we own a house with a backyard.  FI would love to get a cat, but I'm allergic, so we'll have to wait and see on that one....

• We adopted Toby when we moved in together. He was rescued from a fostering organization because he was going to be euthanized as a kitten because he's blind. Yeah, we took him home and love him to pieces:

Eli we adopted a year later, and he was abandoned by his mom and littermates because he was a runt. Poor baby. :( He's perfectly fine and fully grown now.

• Well this will be a long post....

FI and I got Lexus Maris (pictured below with me) about 5 month before we moved in together.  We had signed a lease but we needed his one job to finish up before he could start school.  We picked her up 12/23/03.....this photo was taken the day after.

After we'd been living together for about 2 months I wanted another puppy.  We decided on Jersey Anne.  Below is a picture of me holding her at about 3-4 months of age.  We got her 08/09/04

As mentioned in other posts I breed mini dachshunds.  One of my moms delivered a littler 1/31/07.  She didn't want a tiny little female puppy.  We brought the puppy home and hand raised her.  That is our Kaylee Belle!  The first picture is of her at 2 weeks and the other is when she's about 6 months old.

• We adopted Jessie last June. She was 7 weeks old.
    By August, we realized she needed a friend. We adopted Shiloh when she was around a year old. She'd been through several different homes, and no one even knew her name. She has suffered some abuse, which likely influenced her health problems.
    We adopted our kitty this past May. She is such a doll. Only about 5 lbs full grown. The vet had to remove one of her eyes, and someone carved an "X" into her nose which has scarred pretty badly. Despite all that, she will purr as soon as you pick her up.
  • September- Yay for special needs pets! :D
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_pet-loves-come?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:46605e9a-8d5d-4581-8432-47462f14ebafPost:51fa27d7-4cf5-4611-8198-1d4f4d908a46">Re: Pet Loves, come on in!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Well this will be a long post.... FI and I got Lexus Maris (pictured below with me) about 5 month before we moved in together.  We had signed a lease but we needed his one job to finish up before he could start school.  We picked her up 12/23/03.....this photo was taken the day after. After we'd been living together for about 2 months I wanted another puppy.  We decided on Jersey Anne.  Below is a picture of me holding her at about 3-4 months of age.  We got her 08/09/04 As mentioned in other posts I breed mini dachshunds.  One of my moms delivered a littler 1/31/07.  She didn't want a tiny little female puppy.  We brought the puppy home and hand raised her.  That is our Kaylee Belle!  The first picture is of her at 2 weeks and the other is when she's about 6 months old.
    Posted by aprovencher21[/QUOTE]

Oh my--the mini doxies are to die for!!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_pet-loves-come?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:46605e9a-8d5d-4581-8432-47462f14ebafPost:09e72ce2-e497-4761-a98c-7de938dcf202">Re: Pet Loves, come on in!</a>:
    [QUOTE]We adopted Jessie last June. She was 7 weeks old. By August, we realized she needed a friend. We adopted Shiloh when she was around a year old. She'd been through several different homes, and no one even knew her name. She has suffered some abuse, which likely influenced her health problems. We adopted our kitty this past May. <font color="#666699">She is such a doll. Only about 5 lbs full grown. The vet had to remove one of her eyes, and someone carved an "X" into her nose which has scarred pretty badly. Despite all that, she will purr as soon as you pick her up.
    </font>Posted by jasmineh7777[/QUOTE]

Seriously what the F is wrong with people.  It makes me want to carve an X on their nose.
  • edited July 2010
    Definitely, Jasmine. :) I'm so glad we brought them home...they're my babies and I know I'm giving them a good life.

Funny story, though. I reduced the amount of kibble they eat because the vet said they could both stand to lose a few pounds. I went to bed the other night and they still had kibble in the bowl, although there wasn't a lot in there. At 5am, I heard a dragging noise. Toby had dragged the empty kibble dish 3/4 of the way up the stairs, and Eli was pushing it from underneath with his head. Teamwork at its finest!

And they wanted to put those two cats down because, "what kind of life will they have?"
  • Bonus Picture:
    Tipsy Jasmine trying to get a family photo.
  • The FI bought Zoe while in a previous relationship. Zoe and I are inseperable. She is the sneakest, loudest, funniest dog ever. She has such a great personality. She is snoring next to me at the moment. She follows me everywhere!
    Finally, a Mrs!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_pet-loves-come?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:46605e9a-8d5d-4581-8432-47462f14ebafPost:ea54f269-a21e-4e3b-9f60-ac5db07d9f4d">Re: Pet Loves, come on in!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Pet Loves, come on in! : Oh my--the mini doxies are to die for!!
    Posted by npasquale16[/QUOTE]

Why thank you =)  I love yours as well.  Mine do NOT like the water.  They tolerate me giving them showers but are clearly not happy.  I see we are both from NJ!!!
  • How small are those mini-doxies? Cute!
    See the big yellow dog in the picture? Jessie is terrified of our friend's doxie-pug mix.
  • We got Lilly about a month after we moved in together.  We had become friends with a neighbor who was moving unexpectedly (gotta love the Army) and couldn't take Lilly with her.  She had literally just gotten her maybe a month before and spent a ridiculous amount on her.  I've never been a dog person but it was just the right timing when our neighbor asked if we wanted Lil.  C was out in the field and I was alone in our apartment for a few weeks which is not ideal for just moving in together.  I was lonely and I couldn't resist how damn cute she was. 

She is a great dog, though.  She's a teacup beagle but doesn't bark or howl.  She is the biggest cuddler ever and it definitely helps when C is gone which he is right now.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_pet-loves-come?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:46605e9a-8d5d-4581-8432-47462f14ebafPost:e5e2abda-48cb-4ce1-918d-085f0affd16e">Re: Pet Loves, come on in!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Pet Loves, come on in! : Why thank you =)  I love yours as well.  Mine do NOT like the water.  They tolerate me giving them showers but are clearly not happy.  I see we are both from NJ!!!
    Posted by aprovencher21[/QUOTE]

Yep--Jersey girls :).  Bax will tolerate the water, but the whole experience is traumatic.  He alternates between giving me puppy eyes and looking away as if he's pretending it's not even happening. 
  • Pictures amy? I want to see this teacup beagle.
  • Token pictures of my babies :)

Queen Demon of the Fluffy Pants
     Katie Whompus the Catahoula (that's 100 pounds of pure...baby?)

Diamond Dizzle

• how do i post a picture in a post... I feel like an ass asking
  • lmfao @ diamond dizzle...

love it!

• I love my fur baby his name is Helmer and my boyfriend and I got him from the Humane Society when he was about 6 months old.  He is 9 months now and we just love him so much!  He loves going to the dog park and day care =).  We love cuddling with him as he is such a sweetheart. 

• The little picture of the tree on the bottom of this box, to the left of spell check.

Katie-She can still be a baby at 100lbs. I love the black kitty. Have you heard that black cats are worse for those with allergies?
  • edited July 2010

My beautiful Nomad was a stray who landed on my doorstep as a kitten when I was single. Little guy helped me through some tough times as I was really struggling when he came into my life. He passed away last year (cancer). I brought him and a friend I'd bought for him from a shelter, Naia, to our relationship. Naia disliked me (she also has an anti-female thing going!) but loved H from the moment she met him. H adored both Nomad and Naia. 

When Nomad passed, we went together and purchased a new kitten from a rescue group, Tapatio. Tapi and Naia didn't get along well so we went back a month later and got Tapi's brother, who we named Chomp, to put some balance into our house (Chomp hadn't found a home as he was the biggest of the litter). Everything worked out perfectly.

Here's some pictures:

Gorgeous Nomad on the day he arrived at my doorstep:

Nomad and Naia

Chomp (left) and Tapi (right):

• edited July 2010
    This is my Bella. I got her 3 years ago from a flea market. I really wanted a ferret but my BF (now FI) wouldn't let me. So I got her instead.

This is my FI's Boxer, Duke. FI is obsessed with Duke basketball and that's how he got his name. I got him off Craigslist for a REAL good price. He was 3 months in this pic and he'll be 1 in 2 weeks

EDIT:CRAP. Pics didn't post. Well, there they are in my siggy.. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards