Flowers
Options

What's more cost efficient?

My bff is getting married Sept 18, 2010 and we're trying to figure out the best road to take when it comes to flowers. is it cheaper to use a florist or buy the flowers wholesale and make the bouquets ourselves? Which do you think. We are fairly artistic and we both love working wiht flowers so that wouldn't be an issue. Not sure if it matters but she's have Red Roses and whit orchids.

Re: What's more cost efficient?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Make them yourselves.
  • Options
    jagore08jagore08 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    With a florist you're going to pay for their labor, which can get quite expensive. But you won't stress about having to make bouquets the night before the wedding (trust me, you don't want to have to do anything the night before except relax and have a good time).
    Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    MrsHoward11MrsHoward11 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The was my whole reasoning but her parents are going through a lot right now and may have to cut back on the budget. We're just trying to find where it's worth cutting back on. How do i make this a poll?
  • Options
    Catwoman708Catwoman708 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ordering in bulk and doing them yourself is definitely cheaper. BUT, it is very time consuming, even if you have floral experience. If you have no experience, you will need to practice, or have some reliable, experienced help. They can usually be done a couple of days in advance if you keep them moist and cool. It also depends on the type of flowers you will be using. You might research some "how to" videos, and practice with flowers you buy on sale. If you have a Sam's or Costco membership, they have good prices on flowers, and you can also buy in bulk. If you are having your wedding at a church, ask if they have a flower guild, or someone that does the church flowers. If they do, they might could do them, or get them cheaper, or even give you a few pointers/lessons. I am on our church flower guild, and we can get flowers at a discount (and tax exempt) through the church. We sometimes do flowers for weddings and funeral, when asked. But most people don't think to ask, and only find out later they could have saved a bundle. And, any money you pay to the church is tax deductible.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I guess it really depends on the florists' prices, but I'd say as a general rule, it's cheaper to DIY. That's what we're doing.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards