Hawaii
Options

Kauai recommendations

My FI and I are honeymooning in Kauai. I was wondering if you girls had any recommendations of things to do, places to eat for us =) TIA!!

Re: Kauai recommendations

• Options
    mauidandymauidandy member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi Leah! I asked the same question awhile back, and Kate emailed me a bunch of suggestions! I'm posting her email here ( I don't think she would mind) because it contains some really helpful stuff! HTH! We stayed on the east side of the island in Kapaa, close to Lihue. Its full of condos/resorts and is pretty much geared towards tourists. Old town Kapaa is super cute and there are at least three major supermarkets: Foodland (closes at 11), Safeway (24 hours), and Big Save. There is also a Longs Drugs in the same complex as Safeway that makes for great gift/food shopping before you leave. I think staying in Kapaa is the most convenient place to stay as far as seeing the entire island, however the rain is unpredictable and the beach side resorts don't really make for good swimming. To be honest we were really only on the east side when we were back at the condo or running ordinary errands. P.S. Almost the entire island of Kauai closes at 10pm, sometimes 9, and I cannot tell you enough how the rain is unpredictable--but no one ever carries around umbrellas! We stayed at the Outrigger Waipouli Beach Resort (sometimes referred to just as the Waipouli Beach Resort). We found a crazy deal on Orbitz for $118 a night, it was non-refundable and paid completely up-front, but it was worth it. I figured if most of the wedding was non-refundable anyways we might as well go the same route for the honeymoon. We had a one bedroom condo and it was probably the nicest place we've ever stayed, if you can find a similar deal I HIGHLY recommend it. North Shore, the lush side: The drive to the north was probably the lushest backdrop I've ever seen, I was in awe just being in the passenger seat. Ke'e Beach, most northern point you can drive - good for snorkeling, the calmest water I've seen on Kauai. Ke'e beach is also where there is a great hike to the Na Pali coast, unfortunately we didn't hike, but this one is supposed to be really great. Hanalei Bay/Hanalei - quaint town in picturesque settings, beautiful  Wishing Well Shave Ice - supposedly "the spot" to get shave ice in the north (in Hanalei) Princeville - resort community Queen's Bath - a hidden tide pool great for swimming located at the water's edge in Princeville (in the guidebook, look it up online before hand if you're interested). Its about a half-mile (or shorter) hike down a path along a stream with tiny waterfalls (path can be very slippery/muddy if wet) and it leads you to open water, keep walking over the lava rock to where you find other tourists in a small lava pool. Even if you don't go in, the shore/walk down is quite a sight. South Side, fortunately the sunny side: Poipu Beach - Beautiful, you can catch a sunset here. Ok for swimming but there is a tough current. There is actually a sign posted here that Kauai has the most drownings compared to any other Hawaiian island. Poipu - Full of quality resorts, where Roy's is located (highly recommended for a nice dinner) Spouting Horn - a gyser-like natural wonder Grand Hyatt - AMAZING resort, we ordered a few cocktails just to sit oceanside and enjoy the surroundings, then we walked around the grounds.  Shipwreck beach - nice beach, on the edge of the Grand Hyatt shoreline West Side, the VERY sunny side: Na Pali Coastline - Breathtaking, a definite must do. We did a sunset dinner cruise (about 5 hours). I am prone to motion/sea sickness but a couple of dramamine did the trick. We went through Captain Andy's Sailing Adventures, they are located in Port Allen. You can also do speed rafting or day excursions to go snorkeling in sea caves.  Waimea Canyon - The Grand Canyon of the Pacific, absolutely beautiful Shrimp Station, in Waimea - eat here before or after your trip to the canyon, the coconut shrimp is delish. East Side, the "city" side: Lihue - Here you will find the shopping mall (Kukui Grove), WalMart, Costco, airport, etc Kauai Backcountry Adventures (in Hanama’ulu) - We ziplined with them for about 3.5 hours in a valley below Mt. Wailea, $125, they provide Subway for lunch. I have a fear of heights but it was amazing. They also offer "tubing tours"   Kountry Kitchen in Kapaa - Awesome place for breakfast! Wailua Falls - Take Highway 56 north out of Lihu'e to Ma'alo Road, Highway 583, easy drive to see some falls
    andrea and ryan . june 2010 . maui.olowalu
    My Planning Bio
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I just recently posted my restaurant recs. Look under my post that reads I'm back and ready to book my next trip.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We got engaged at the Hyatt, just beautiful.  Beach House restaurant at sunset and paddleboarding on North Kauai are 2 recommendations for you!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards