Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

Readings at ceremony

Hello All,

I would like to have two readings at my ceremony: one being a biblical scripture and the other being a poem. I was wondering if anyone knew any good, appropriate poems that can be used in our wedding ceremony.

Thanks!

Re: Readings at ceremony

• I used "I Do" from SATC. Everyone really liked it.
    **i'm a little drunk on you and high on summertime** Photobucket
  • Our minister will be reading "The Blessing of the Hands" right before we exchange rings.  My mom, my future MIL, and myself all cried the first time we read it.
  • Google Wedding Ceremony readings and Wedding ceremony poems.  You'll find scores of suggestions.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • What IS "I Do" from Sex and the City?
  • It isn't really a poem, per say...but this is my non-biblical reading...

Our wish for both of you today is that your marriage will bring much happiness and joy to each of you. Happiness in marriage is not something that just happens; a good marriage must be created.And it is created in the following ways:It is never being too old to hold hands.It is remembering to say “I love you” at least once a day.It is at no time taking the other for granted.It is having a mutual sense of values and common objectives.It is standing together facing life.It is forming a circle of love that gathers in the whole family.It is doing things for each other not in the attitude of duty or sacrifice, but in the spirit of joy.It is speaking words of appreciation and demonstrating gratitude.It is not looking for perfection in each other.It is cultivating flexibility, patience, understanding and a sense of humor.It is having the capacity to forgive and forget.It is finding room for things of spirit.It is a common search for the good and the beautiful.It is establishing a relationship in which independence is equal, Dependence is mutual and obligation is reciprocal.It is not only marrying the right partner, it is being the right partner.
  • I really like what fam6 posted!  For my biblical reading, I'm having my brother read Corinthians 1.  For the non-biblical reading, my fiance and I are going to take a few things that we've read and collaborate it into our own message.  His cousin is going to read that one.
  • These are great ideas thanks!
    Fam 6 my friend actually had that poem read at her wedding two weeks ago! I think it is very nice :)
  • I am just picking my readings.  I wanted one on love and the other on marriage.  I have picked "On Love" by Thomas Kempis and Marriage joins two people in the circle of its love by Edmund O'Neill.
    I concur with trix google and read a bunch and you will find something you love.
    - Crystallee What we choose changes us. Who we love transforms us, how we create reshapes is, what we do remakes us. - Dr. Eugene Callender
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_readings-ceremony-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:10Discussion:72371837-e792-4e46-b00a-f52a33cecb7cPost:22e9ba1a-4e41-47e1-8ee4-6a63ed0fed01">Re: Readings at ceremony</a>:
    [QUOTE]I really like what fam6 posted!  For my biblical reading, I'm having my brother read Corinthians 1.  For the non-biblical reading, my fiance and I are going to take a few things that we've read and collaborate it into our own message.  His cousin is going to read that one.
    Posted by ekm421[/QUOTE]

Do you mean 1 Corinthians: chapter 13?  There actually isn't a "Corinthians 1" in the Bible.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_readings-ceremony-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:10Discussion:72371837-e792-4e46-b00a-f52a33cecb7cPost:e7890af9-d268-4ce5-a57e-a9277c3a9200">Re: Readings at ceremony</a>:
    [QUOTE]It isn't really a poem, per say...but this is my non-biblical reading... Our wish for both of you today is that your marriage will bring much happiness and joy to each of you. Happiness in marriage is not something that just happens; a good marriage must be created. And it is created in the following ways: It is never being too old to hold hands. It is remembering to say “I love you” at least once a day. It is at no time taking the other for granted. It is having a mutual sense of values and common objectives. It is standing together facing life. It is forming a circle of love that gathers in the whole family. It is doing things for each other not in the attitude of duty or sacrifice, but in the spirit of joy. It is speaking words of appreciation and demonstrating gratitude. It is not looking for perfection in each other. It is cultivating flexibility, patience, understanding and a sense of humor. It is having the capacity to forgive and forget. It is finding room for things of spirit. It is a common search for the good and the beautiful. It is establishing a relationship in which independence is equal, Dependence is mutual and obligation is reciprocal. It is not only marrying the right partner, it is being the right partner.
    Posted by fam6[/QUOTE]

I absolutely love this! Was it from the movie or one of the episodes? I don't remember it. 
  • What is the SATC "I Do"?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards