Gay Weddings
Options

Readings....and stuff

Hey Cats and Kittens,I was just wonder if and what you used as readings for your ceromony. I've been looking all over the net and all i find is these heavy reading on ommortal love and blah blah blah.  We were looking for something a little different.  Maybe something from childrens books ( NOT the Velvetine Rabbit or Pooh) or a fabulous Golden Girls or Designing Women monoloque.  Any ideas?

Re: Readings....and stuff

• Options
    edited December 2011
    We are using Union by Robert Fulghum: You have known each other from the first glance of acquaintance to this point of commitment. At some point, you decided to marry. From that moment of yes to this moment of yes, indeed, you have been making promises and agreements in an informal way. All those conversations that were held riding in a car or over a meal or during long walks - all those sentences that began with “When we’re married” and continued with “I will and you will and we will”- those late night talks that included “someday” and “somehow” and “maybe”- and all those promises that are unspoken matters of the heart. All these common things, and more, are the real process of a wedding. The symbolic vows that you are about to make are a way of saying to one another, “ You know all those things we’ve promised and hoped and dreamed- well, I meant it all, every word.” Look at one another and remember this moment in time. Before this moment you have been many things to one another- acquaintance, friend, companion, lover, dancing partner, and even teacher, for you have learned much from one another in these last few years. Now you shall say a few words that take you across a threshold of life, and things will never quite be the same between you. For after these vows, you shall say to the world, this- is my husband, this- is my wife.  (we cut out the husband stuff)For kids poetry, I LOVE the poem "I like you"  By Sandol Stoddard.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    there might be some good readings at this site greatohio weddings.com
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We wanted the same thing, finally my husband just wrote one for our wedding this past September because we couldn't find anything with the right feeling. Here it is below. Hope you like it! Facets of Marriage by Derek Rumpf Marriage is like a diamond, many facets both dark and light One thing to balance another, as the day does for the night. The union of a couple is indeed a wonderful thing, Yet remember the sweet and salt, whatever life may bring. The perfume of the rose, brings to you an olfactory treat, But the dishes left undone, can they not smell just as sweet? The letter left handwritten, such nostalgia and romance, The text message comes through, “Can you pick up milk by chance?” Shouting love over the rooftops, for all the world to hear, The seat was left straight up, “Who used it last my dear?” The flower petals on the floor, set a scene with romantic air, But forget them not those socks and pants strewn about with equal flair. A gourmet meal before you, what a scrumptious, wondrous feast, Yet mac and cheese with hotdogs, this still feeds a hungry beast. One time spending money, on a wonderful, fanciful thing, Another time scraping by, to escape the mortgage sting. At home and trading stories of the goings-on of the day, It’s time to do some house chores, “Must we get to that today?” There you stand fit-as-a-fiddle, my what a handsome pair, Now stand you soft-in-the-middle, breathless at the stair. Vacationing in a far off place, with palm trees all around, Working hard for most of the year, with no time to be found. Yes, the union of a couple, is indeed a wonderful thing, Yet remember the sweet and salt, whatever life may bring. Whether perfect or disorderly, fair skies or fowl, harsh weather, It’s all part of the program, you just have to do it together.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards