Oklahoma
Options

FARM?

Okay well im thinking of having my wedding at my grandma's farm. It is just a farm with cows nothin cool like a horse ranch lol just boring farm. So it doesn't really have much to the pasture but the pasture itself and a barn. (not even 2story barn.) Im wanting a relatively small wedding of 100 people and I don't even know where to start. I am wanting to have the wedding out in the pasture somewhere and the reception in the barn. so I guess my questions are: How would I even go about decorating for ceremony? Does this sound like a dumb idea (would u go to a farm wedding?) How can I still make everything look formal? BTW at reception I am not wanting sit down dinner just finger foods lots of deserts and candy but still formal. Im sure I will have lots more questions because I am a worry wart and have no clue where to start with all this... Sorry and TIA

Re: FARM?

• Options
    mauidandymauidandy member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Start browsing wedding blogs....they have the best inspiration and ideas ever! Here are some cute posts about farm weddings to get you started: http://greenweddingshoes.blogspot.com/2009/06/real-wedding-sarah-joeys-michigan-farm.html http://greenweddingshoes.blogspot.com/2009/08/real-wedding-sonya-daveys-california.html
    andrea and ryan . june 2010 . maui.olowalu
    My Planning Bio
  • Options
    lauly06lauly06 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    A farm wedding sounds wonderful! You could rent a tent for the reception and maybe do the dance floor, food and cake tables, and like cocktail tables in the barn. Is there a nice tree or something you can stand in front of for the ceremony? If yes, center everything around that. Arange the aisle and chairs to face it. When it comes to decorations there are TONS of ideas you could work with for a farm like wedding. As for making it formal, I would suggest keeping it more relaxed and casual. I think that vibe will fit your venue better. Good luck!
  • Options
    MelB228MelB228 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I know a couple of people who have gotten married in random, and rather large, fields. They just put an arch (I can't think of the technical term right now) up in the front for the minister to stand by, and then had the wedding party in lines on either side with them in the middle.  They just put white chairs on either side creating a middle aisle, and then a runner of some sort in the middle. Random ribbons, etc by the chairs on each aisle, and other wire/wicker decs with their wedding colored ribbons/tulle, etc around. Some of the most beautiful pics I've seen have been with these settings, just b/c it's so simple and beautiful with large field expanse in the background of pics. You can definitely do it beautiful and simple! Didn't the movie 27 dresses do something simple out in the open, although beach scene instead of farm, at the very end of the movie? Could be wrong, haven't seen that movie in forever, so if I am ignore that comment :)
  • Options
    virgo6256virgo6256 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would do a farm wedding if there was still one in the family. Both sets of my grandparents have passed and both farms sold. I have always thought farm weddings were beautiful. And holding the reception in the barn is fun. There is so much you can do with that. And with having hay to sit on or the kids to climb on and all of that.Have fun with it.
  • Options
    thegrantsthegrants member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I live in western Kansas, so I've been to many farm weddings. I was at a great reception that was in a barn, and they used those paper lanterns and Christmas lights for lighting. It was really pretty and the white paper lanterns really kept everything very natural feeling. Not too modern. They also had white round tables and to add some of the wedding colors they had fabric draped and pulled back in the door way to the barn. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My aunt got married in a pasture in western Okla and I have always liked that idea.  I was young but I'll try to remember...she had an altar made from wood (like logs) and there were extensions off of the altar like a segment of fence where their trophy saddles hung.  There was no barn...this was out in the middle of nowhere.  It was near a pong though.  The seating was benches made from square hay bales with wood bridging across.  Her "bridal room" was her horse trailer's living quarters.  Anyhow, the groom and groomsmen rode over the hill at sunset to enter and that was pretty cool looking.  Your idea is not dumb...it's great!  Stick to it!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards