West Virginia

Cheap reception center around Morgantown.

We are looking for a reception site in Morgantown. Does anyone have any ideas for an inexpensive reception for about 200 people? We have already looked at Lakeview, Knights of Columbus, Ramada Inn. Thanks!

Re: Cheap reception center around Morgantown.

• edited December 2011
    I am not certain of their prices, but we attended a reception at Dorsey's Knob and it was very nice. And from what I have heard there has been alot more done up there since we were last there. There is also a hall in Westover, can't remember the name. I think its Mollas or something like that, not Tarantini's, cause I think that they're are kinda high. You can also check into the fire departments too. I know alot of them rent their halls out pretty cheap too. Hope this helps. Cheryl
  • edited December 2011
    Also, maybe look into Cooper's Rock?
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers IVF #1 BFP Beta #1 528 & Beta #2 1514
  • edited December 2011
    We looked at pretty much any place that could be considered a reception hall in Morgantown.  Molla's was nice, but we gave them our name and they never called us back, and forgot who we were by the time we came in a couple days later, so we were worried they wouldn't keep in contact with us.  Molla's banquet hall has also been for sale for a couple years, and they are leasing it out, so we were worried that something would happen and they may sell out on us before the wedding. We went with Westover VFW's upstairs hall.  It was all wood, has a squared off dance floor, a raised area for the bride and groom, two entrances and a nice built in bar area.  It was $400 flat to rent the hall. There is nothing included (with the exception of tables and chairs,) so you have to get your own bartender, caterer, etc. but it was the best option for us because we could save money in other places. It isn't the most beautiful hall, but there is a lot of potential to make it look nice. HTH
  • edited December 2011
    What about the ELKs? My fiancee is a member and we've been to friends' weddings there. We also went to the new years eve party there. They have good food and the bar is in a seperate room (but u can have a mini one in the hall) so that if u don't want to have a bar u don't have too. also my fiancee's mom is the event coordinator there and is very helpful and considerate of brides. They also make really good food.
  • LisaR07LisaR07 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you ALL for all your advice. I gave the elks a call today, so hopefully I will hear from them soon. Do the elk provide the tables and chairs or any table coverings? As for the Westover firehall, do you know a number I could reach them at? Do you have any advice to where we could get rental stuff.I called Molla's a while back too, and I felt a little timid to go look, especially when they said that their one hall wasn't very nice compared to the other! Also, was the dorsey knob's place indoors or out? Again, all these feed back was AWESOME! I really like the fact that I can talk to other WV brides in the area!! Let's GO EERs!
  • edited December 2011
    the elks has round tables and chairs.. I'm not sure if they provide the white tablecloths or not.
  • edited December 2011
    If they do not provide table linens you might look at Sams. They seem to have some nive white table cloths.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers IVF #1 BFP Beta #1 528 & Beta #2 1514
  • edited December 2011
    Hi, Try The Pines Country Club. It is located on Point Marion Road and is a really nice place. The staff there is also very attentive and the quality of service is excellent. You can also try contacting the WVU Alumni Center. It is a nice facility and the person in charge of events there is very helpful and knowledgable.
  • whiterose04whiterose04 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Granville fire department's  new hall is really nice. I have been to a few events there but I am not sure how much it costs  
  • linds7398linds7398 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would second checking into the new Alumni Center (that's where our wedding and reception are going to be). Mary is extremely helpful! They have tables, chairs, a chef on site and not to mention the place is gorgeous. As far as I know, linens are not included; however, they already have vendors they use on a regular basis.Also, as a pp mentioned, the new fire hall in Granville is nice (and it has a kitchen). There is also Waterfront Place Hotel. They have packages that include table linens, alcohol, food, etc. They were a little more pricey than I expected.If you need to rent tables and chairs, MPE on the Mileground is a good place to start. They also carry linens, but I don't know what kind of selection they have. For the linens themselves, you could check out Elite Bridal and Events in Westover.
  • edited December 2011
    I went to a reception at the Hotel Morgan.....it was beautiful. They had an open bar and a sit down dinner, I think everything cast around 6000. But the open bar its self cost 3500.
  • hollieheidihollieheidi member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    What about the Alumni Center?  My XBIL used to DJ weddings there all the time.
  • LisaR07LisaR07 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi, Everyone, Thanks for responding to my post. I actually did try to call around to some of the places I had not already checked too. But I made my decision and went with the knights of Columbus. It was really a good price compared to everything else! Thank again for all the response. I'm sure as it gets closer to my wedding I'll be posting again. I think this message board is SO helpful!!
  • edited December 2011
    I have been trying to get ahold of both Kinghts of Columbus and the WVU Alumni Center and can't get either to call me back! It's very frustrating! Does anyone know the price ranges of either one of these venues or have any other tips on getting people to call you back?    
  • LisaR07LisaR07 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    To candy2003, Hi Yes I have both of those numbers. I will let them discuss the prices to you for the alumni center..bc it can really vary. The KOC also can vary but the price includes basically EVERYTHING!! The starting price is about $39 a plate. For the KOC I will give you the number for the caterer, he is really nice and the man who you willbe working with. 1-724-626-04430. That is his office number his name is Mike Ritz. He is very professional. The alumni center is 304-293-4731.You want to talk to Mary Kinsley, the best way to get ahold of her is by e-mail.Mary.Kinsley@mail.wvu.eduHope this helps!!
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks! I appriciate it!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards