Georgia-Atlanta

Random questions from a Knottie that can't visit often! Budget help!

We are paying for the wedding ourselves and have a small budget so sadly everything is about price for us!We have the venue for ceremony & reception (Little Gardens), the officiant (friend's dad & also our pastor), the photographer (friend of a friend), and the DJ (friend of grooms sister).  Officiant is free, DJ is free, and photog is about 1/2 off so I feel like we are doing great with finding good deals! We also bought our invitations from Walmart because that was one of the things that we felt was least important. This is what they look like. I do plan on switching the ribbon to silver and putting a band of watermelon vellum paper around them with a seal just to try to personalize them. Ok on to the questions!I need to know places that offer cheap pricing on the following. I live in Lawrenceville if that helps! Flowers? Wedding party gifts? I have seen that theknot does great sales at time. Cake? I have seen Eileen Carter recommended a lot. What kind of pricing does she have. Anyone tried Publix? Videographer? Also is anyone going or ever been to Bride Beautiful Fall Gown Blowout in Roswell? I'm going with 3 BM's and my mom in Sunday and wondering if it's worth it and how crazy it is? I don't get to visit often because I work Mon-Fri but I would appreciate any help and suggestions! Thanks fellow knotties!

Re: Random questions from a Knottie that can't visit often! Budget help!

• edited December 2011
    Also make-up artist? Hair dresser? Sister of the groom is hair dresser and is doing my hair but BM's will need someone.
  • edited December 2011
    I've heard that you can order large quantities of flowers from Costco. That is, if you were willing to do the flowers yourself. Are you looking for a florist to do the flowers for you? Publix wedding cake is SO good! And affordable! We were going to get our cake from there but then our venue wound up including a cake in our package. I've never been to Bride Beautiful but I got my dress and veil from David's Bridal for a total of $600. Some people say they have had bad experiences with David's but ours has been great. All of my BM dresses came from there too and they all came in without a problem.
  • cutypie953cutypie953 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I also got my dress and veil for a great price at David's Bridal.  I have also heard a lot of horror stories and I have found out in our hunt for BM dresses that it is all about which David's Bridal location you go to.  I'm telling you, I was totally NOT impressed with the one in Gwinnett at Gwinnett Place Mall but, I got my stuff at the one in Kennesaw and they were AMAZING there!!!  Ask for Ellen, she got my attire right on with the 2nd try!!!!!!  Just tell her your budget and she'll take care of you.  Make an appointment with here though, she is known for being good.  Trust me, she is worth the drive to Kennesaw!  As far as BMs dresses, I called around and found the best price for my girls was at Affordable Bridal in Buford.  As far as Publix cake, if you go to a Bridal Show they are always there with all of their flavors to taste.  I second that they are pretty good! I also second Costco for flowers.  You can get a whole setup for your choice colors of roses...bouquets, bouts, enterpeices, the works for under $1000. 
  • edited December 2011
    Cutypie: I also wasn't impressed with the Gwinnett David's Bridal. I've gone to several of the stores since then and got my alterations done at a different location. Gwinnett didn't even tell me that a crenoline could be worn under my type of dress ( I just assumed she would have told me) so now my dress looks totally different since I got one. Good to know Kennesaw was helpful!
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks! I will look into those!The color watermelon is from DB so that's where my BM's will be getting their dresses. I actually went to the one on P Hill because it's right near my work. I worked with a woman named Terry (sp?) and she was very nice and helpful. I looked into Sams flowers because I have a membership there and found a video on making gerbera daisy bouquets. So I am thinking of going that route...it looked VERY easy! Just something simplistic. I was thinking a pink daisy bouquet for the maids that matches their dresses. Do you think that's too much pink? What would you suggest for me? I am not that good at creative ideas...LOL!
  • edited December 2011
    One of my colors is pink (candy pink from DB) My bouquet is mostly pink with hints of ivory and green roses (my colors are brown and pink but can't have brown flowers so i added in green). My BM's bouquets are mostly ivory with hints of pink..so the opposite of mine. I thought my bouquet being colorful would pop against my ivory dress and likewise for the girls and their pink dresses. Do you have a second wedding color?
  • edited December 2011
    Kathyanddave....silver is the other color so that's why I don't know what to do..LOL!
  • edited December 2011
    I agree with ppl on the flowers, I was considering doing my own flowers and costco and sam's club had some great prices. I ended up going with a florist, Heather Oliver from Stylish Stems. Knowing how much I could get flowers for from Costco and Sam's Club, Heather's prices are very good and wern't hugely jacked up. She is very sweet and I had a great time meeting with her. Eileen's prices when I met with her in August were 3.50 per slice and groom's cakes ranged from $75-300+ depending on design but the average was $100. Her delivery and set up charge was $60 as well. As for a videographer, my photog does amazing video Chris Brock from Premiere Wedding Photography (chrisbrock.org) and his prices are really affordable! I ordered my dress from Bride Beautiful and had an awesome experience from there! It wasn't during a blow out sale or anything but I got an awesome deal since they were doing $100 off every gown that day. My consultant was Krystal ans she was the sweetest girl! I could tell she really enjoyed doing what she did and I got a nice personalized card from her about 3 weeks after I ordered. The decor is kinda ourdated but it has a cute boutique-y feel. I definitely recommend them! I have more detailed vendor reviews in my bio... Hope this helps!
    imageAnniversary
  • edited December 2011
    lol that's how I was with the brown! Then someone suggested the green. What about yellow? If you were worried about the BMs bouquets being too much pink you could break it up with a few yellow flowers?
  • handfast4mehandfast4me member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi!  I just did my daughter's flowers (gerbera daisies) for her wedding reception 3 weeks ago. I found that I couldn't order the colors I wanted from Sam's or Costco, but I could, for not that much more, order exactly the colors I wanted from 50Flowers.  The company was great to work with, the flowers were beautiful, and they called me right after I ordered online to make sure they had gotten everything correct, they called me the day before delivery, the day of delivery, and the Monday following the reception.   Just another option in case Sam's and Costco don't have the colors of flowers you need.
    image Don't mess with the old dogs; age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! BS and brilliance only come with age and experience.
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks handfast4me!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards