Wedding Recap and Withdrawal

What do you remember?

For the brides that are already married...what do you remember most in terms of the actual day? Was the food important? Flowers? Did you cut your guest list to have the reception you wanted or did you compromise all of the extras to have everyone there? Thank you in advance for your responses!

Re: What do you remember?

• People will tell you that you will not remember or care about the little details on the day of, but that wasn't true for me. I loved walking downstairs to do my portraits and catching a first glimpse of the bouquets and the cake. I got super giddy overlooking the ceremony space from the bridal room and seeing the fountain and aisle filled with petals. And during the reception I did notice the floating candles missing from the little pond but I didn't care at that point, everything else looked great. We did not cut our guest list. We had a DW and about 70 out of 180 showed, which was about 30 or less than we had estimated would come. Of course, you should plan for 100 percent attendance.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-recap-withdrawal_what-do-you-remember?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:12Discussion:fff3118e-7d93-4eb7-96da-ddc64798fc2bPost:3161fb15-0565-43c8-86bd-296cf9fd7946">What do you remember?</a>:
    [QUOTE]For the brides that are already married...what do you remember most in terms of the actual day? Was the food important? Flowers? Did you cut your guest list to have the reception you wanted or did you compromise all of the extras to have everyone there? Thank you in advance for your responses!
    Posted by amiechoate[/QUOTE]

<div>I remember everyone having a good time and dancing. I remember the food but I didn't eat much of it! (there was a LOT of food and guests were commenting on how good it was). Everyone was pretty happy with the open bar lol. </div><div>
    </div><div>The room and flowers looked beautiful but when I think back to the wedding, I smile when I think of friends and family having a great time and celebrating. My best memory was seeing my husband as I walked down the aisle at the Church. </div><div>I wasn't going to have a limo, but we had so much fun with friends and the bridal party when we traveled from the Church to the reception, so it was worth having one. </div><div>
    </div><div>Our guest list was 75 people but we both don't have really big families, so we didn't have to cut the list (it was 75 to begin with). </div>
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • For the weddings I have been to, I definitely remember good food. Our good friends got married yesterday and they couldn't spend alot of money but they had a fabulous cake and pretty good food. The decorations were ok, the location was nice but didn't cost much, and they had only daisies in their bouquets and bouts. It was a pretty little wedding but I'm still raving about the cake and the food. People are still commenting on our food also. Guess in our family and friends circle, food is the most important thing.
  • I remember most that my husband when he first glimpsed at me winked, because he does that when I'm nervous. I remember that my shoes hurt a lot worse than I thought they would and that the food was amazing but as PP said I didn't eat much. (I ate a ton later that night because I was starving) I remember that the cake was my favorite part, and that I loved that my husband and dad  wore fedoras. 
    Vacation Anniversary PitaPata Dog tickers
  • I remember almost everything. The ceremony was so nice and personal. The music was outstanding (we hired a reggae band) and mostly everyone danced. The food was wonderful. The wine cocktails were delicious. My parents were so happy and couldn't stop dancing. My cake was beautiful but it turned everyone's mouth blue.

We cut our guest list by about 15 or so. We invited 96 and had 73. It was perfect. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • I remember getting ready early and being so ready to get the show on the road. 

I remember the assistant for our planner sent me down before I was supposed to go (in a glass elevator) so I had to crouch down and hide before he saw me too soon.

I remember my ceremony, and being so happy with every word the Rev said.

I remember hearing random music during the ceremony and thinking it had to be a cell phone (turns out the hotel had left their piped music on, but I’m sure I was the only one who noticed).  We had a string duo playing.

I remember feeling like I wanted to stop taking pictures half way through, because I really didn’t want posed photos.

I remember my feet hurting…a lot.  I was so thankful that I bought bridal flip-flops.

We ate.  We danced.  We talked to so many people the reception was a blur.

The thing I missed most was stopping to enjoy the band.  I don’t remember anything they played, but I heard a lot of feedback that they were awesome.

With 200 people, we spent more time than we wanted saying hello.

• mattycammattycam member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited June 2012
    I remembered just about everything from getting ready, to walking down the aisle, to the lovely decor and food at our reception. I loved that day. It had a few hiccups but nothing to dwell over. We had to cust our guest list due to costs but it was all good :)
  • JBC123JBC123 member
    First Comment
    We were married this past Saturday and it was perfect.  I remember every second.  I can honestly say that I had everything I ever wanted for my wedding and it went off without a hitch.  We have become very close with our priest and he gave such a personal and warm ceremony that people were saying they wanted to get re-married just to have him do their weddings! 

We were also blessed in that my parents celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary the day after we were married so I incorporated that into our reception.  I had my DJ play their original first dance song so they re-did their dance and I had my baker make a small separate cake on which I had a "50" wedding pick and got a new bride and groom topper for them (red head bride for my mom and bald groom for my dad) and we did a simultaneous cake cutting.  My husband's best man paid homage to my deceased in-laws so everyone was remembered.  It was nothing short of magical.  Everyone had a blast and people are saying it was the best wedding ever. 
  • I remember 

getting my hair and makeup done my husband came in and my hair dresser immediately started asking why he was there and to go away. And I was just laughing it off beause she cared more about tradition in my wedding then I did.

my mom complaining that I was going to fast down to the alter.

losing my husbands ring then finding 5-10 minutes before

That my husband and I hung out almost the entire time before the wedding

We had some drinks of course and I remember dragging my husband around on the floor and for some odd reason we thought that was really funny and were laughing so hard we were crying 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I remember thinking "Is it really going to rain all day?" lol It was an abnormally chilly rainy day in May and I was texting my husband the whole time asking silly questions and seeing if he was as nervous as I was. And I remember how nervous my dad looking waiting for me to get out of the car, and then how he was making me laugh so I didn't feel so nervous. My ceremony was blissfully short, thanks in large part to getting a friend ordained and writing the ceremony myself! Things weren't perfect when we got to the dinner location (aka my house) but the caterer did a great job and I fixed the one or two things I cared about then just had a great time! There was plenty of wine and music and family and friends and all that mattered was that I married my best friend in the world.

Do I remember everything? No. Do I remember the important things? Yes I sure do. Smile And I would do it all again. 
  • bluemtnladybluemtnlady member
    First Comment
    edited June 2012
    I remember having some time alone when I got to the church before anybody arrived to get ready. I wrote thank you cards to my new SIL, our pastor and to the church. 

I remember being ready on time, but having to wait because people were still coming into the church. I was proud of that.

I remember the feeling of being so nervous I was shaking and a bit sick to my stomach. I don't like being the center of attention (all the time, anyway!) 

I remember as soon as I stepped up onto stage with DH, all my nervousness just melted away. It was like I didn't care who was looking, it was just me and him and our pastor. 

I remember we kept smiling at each other and how big his smile was. 

I remember when it was time for the rings, I drew a heart on my ring finger and when our pastor and DH looked at it they laughed. We had joked at the rehearsal we needed to put an arrow or write "Here" on my finger. 

I remember thanking God during the prayers for all He had blessed me with.

I remember when he announced us as Mr. & Mrs. DH & Wife and 'Foggy Mtn Breakdown' started and everybody laughied. 

The reception was a blur. We spoke to alot of people, but not everybody. We did eat, although I don't remember tasting it. I forgot the camera for the photo booth, so I was irritated about that and the cookies for the favors didn't get put out. Those were the two "biggest" snafu's and I'm truly glad it's over, but overall I'm really happy with how it turned out. The most important thing happened and that was getting married, soooo score!
  • I remember everything but the moments that stand out the most are
    -having all my bridesmaids and all the important woman that are close to me (my mom passed away 5 years ago so these women are a very important part of my life) at my childhood home getting our hair and make up done and having breakfast and champagne toasts and talking about old times and remembering stories of when we were little (my bridesmaid have been friends of mine since i was a little girl)
    -walking down the aisl on my dads arm and seeing my future husband
    -when we were pronounced husband and wife
    -our first dance as husband and wife
    -father/daughter dance-just spending time and dancing the night away with all of our guest that love us
    the whole day/night was magical

• whitney37354whitney37354 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited June 2012
    For the brides that are already married...what do you remember most in terms of the actual day? I remember being tired all day & just wanting it to be over.  I had graduated college two days prior & hadn't had enough time to rest.  I had meant to leave a week between graduation & wedding, but it didn't work out that semester as it had in years past.  I took lots of naps on the honeymoon!

Was the food important? I am traditional & I just wanted cake, punch, mints & nuts.  Other than that, I let my mom do what she wanted since she was the one paying for it.  She added quiche, pinwheels, & cheeseball & crackers

Flowers? All flowers were silk.  Mine were five white roses that DH had given me, one on each dating anniversary.  Honor attendants carried three red roses, bridesmaids carried one red rose.  Mothers wore white rose corsages, grandmothers wore white carnation corsages, all other attendants wore red carnation corsages.  DH wore white rose bout, all others wore white rose bout.  We needed everything to be inexpensive so this was the way to go for us. I chose the type & color of flower & let the florist do her thing.

Did you cut your guest list to have the reception you wanted or did you compromise all of the extras to have everyone there? We didn't have a "guest list".  We just invited everyone to join us.  We had 130 guests, not including immediately family & friends in the wedding party.
  • What I remember and what turned out to be important (as opposed to what I THOUGHT would be important) are two separate things.

For example: I told the caterers to put ten candles on each table. They put more like four. Know what? Didn't matter. It was beautiful. One of my most vivid memories is of sitting at our table, with candles and flowers and beautiful music playing and all of the people we cared about the most surrounding us, just HAPPY.

The flowers were not precisely what I had envisioned, but they were beautiful.

I don't remember much about walking down the aisle, because I was focused on making sure my mom (who was walking with me) made it ok. I feel sad about that, on the one hand, but on the other hand, I love that I have that memory of my mom.
    Anniversary
  • I don't remember much of anything. Everything went so fast, so I just remember snapshots. I remember my dad and I walking fairly quickly down the aisle, but my mom tried to slow us down. I remember feeling anxious, but never nervous. I remember thinking that my husband's butt looked amazing in the tux. I remember my grandmother made me angry by saying something rude. I had a breakdown right before dinner and I had so many people came in to check on me and help me. My favorite was when I was in a stall feeling sick, and my little 4 year old neice came in, bend her head under the stal and asked "You oh-tay Aunty?" I remember refusing to look up during our first dance, I kept my head buried in my husbands chest. I don't remember the food, or what songs were played. I DO remember that the bouquets and boutonierres all wilted before the reception and the prhotographers were rude. I remember how AMAZING my DJ was and just how sweaty I became that night from all the dancing.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • It's true when people say you will not care about the small details the day of the wedding. Luckily, nothing went wrong on the day of my wedding but if they would have I don't think I would have had a care in the world. I was a ball of nerves but so ready to see my FI/H at the altar. Walking down the aisle with my dad on the side of me and looking at my FI/H's face trying to hold back the tears, I knew the stress and the tears from planning was all worth that moment. I honestly don't remember much from the reception because it went by so quick. I didn't get a chance to eat, try the cake, or mingle as much as I had wanted to. But it was such an amazing day and I really wish some girls wouldn't let the smallest things set them off because a wedding doesn't HAVE to be this extraordinary event. In the end, if I would have had a small backyard ceremony I would have been happy with that because at the end of the day I married the man of my dreams and that's all that matters.
    TTC #1 since June 2012
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards