Latino Weddings

NWR: please try to help

My friend has asked me to write her a letter for the immigration stating how she and her son will be affected if her husband is not granted citizenship. Has anyone written one of these before? Any help would be great thanks. If you know the format, samples or anything that would be great.

Re: NWR: please try to help

• edited December 2011
    Here is a copy of a denial letter for the I-601 someone was kind enough to send me. It list examples of extreme hardship when filing the I-601. I found it very helpful as my fiance and I filed our waiver. I would strongly recommend that you contact a lawyer to help you in writing the narrative for the waiver. The bulk of the form is an attachment arguing extreme hardship on the US Citizen. Dear Applicant, This is in reference to the Application for Waiver of Grounds of Excludability (I-601) you filed in conjunction with your application for an Immigrant Visa. This discretionary waiver is provided for under sections 212 (9)(B)(v) and 212 (i) of the Immigration and Nationality Act. Favorable consideration of such application requires a finding that the refusal of admission to the United States of such immigrant alien would result in extreme hardship to the U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident spouse or parent of such alien. Approval also requires a favorable exercise of discretion from the Attorney General. Accordingly, all factors, the favorable against the unfavorable, are evaluated in each case. Your U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident spouse or parent is requested to furnish all evidence and/or explanation seemed appropriate to demonstrate that your refusal of admission to the United States would result in extreme hardship to them. This can include letters written by your spouse, parent or other applicable person and other meaningful documents (can include medical, etc.). All claims of hardship must be supported by documentary evidence or explanation specifying the hardship. Family separation and financial inconvenience, in and of themselves, do not necessarily constitute extreme hardship. Therefore, it is important for your spouse or parent to describe and document any other claim that might be a hardship. The above-requested information is necessary to render an equitable and fair decision on your Application for Waiver of Grounds of Excludability. Any response or evidence should be submitted to enable receipt by this office at the above address no-later-than 45 days from the date of this letter. Should you choose not to reply, the case will be decided on the basis of the information already at hand. A waiver of section 212(a)(6)(C)(i) is dependent first upon a showing that the bar imposes an extreme hardship on a qualifying family member. Congress provided this waiver but limited its application. By such limitation it is evident that it did not intend that a waiver be granted merely due to the fact that a qualifying relationship existed. The key term in the provision is "extreme" and thus only in cases of real actual or prospective injury to the United States national or lawful permanent resident will the bar be removed. Common results of the bar, such as separation, financial difficulties, etc., in themselves are insufficient to warrant approval of an application unless combined with much more extreme impacts. Matter of Ngai, 19 I & N Dec. 245. With this qualification in mind, furnish documentary evidence proving that failure to receive the waiver requested will result in extreme hardship to your US citizen spouse. Please be very detailed as to how you meet the "extreme hardship" burden. Keep in mind that the hardship must be to your qualifying family member - not to you. Extreme hardship can be demonstrated in many aspects of your spouse's life such as:HEALTH - Ongoing or specialized treatment requirements for a physical or mental condition; availability and quality of such treatment in your country, anticipated duration of the treatment; whether a condition is chronic or acute, or long-or short-term. b. FINANCIAL CONSIDERATIONS - Future employability; loss due to sale of home or business or termination of a professional practice; decline in standard of living; ability to recoup short-term losses; cost of extraordinary needs such as special education or training for children; cost of care for family members (i.e., elderly and infirm parents). c. EDUCATION - Loss of opportunity for higher education; lower quality or limited scope of education options; disruption of current program; requirement to be educated in a foreign language or culture with ensuing loss of time for grade; availability of special requirements, such as training programs or internships in specific fields. d. PERSONAL CONSIDERATIONS - Close relatives in the United States and /or your country; separation from spouse/children; ages of involved parties; length of residence and community ties in the United States.e. SPECIAL FACTORS - Cultural, language, religious, and ethnic obstacles; valid fears of persecution, physical harm, or injury; social ostracism or stigma; access to social institutions or structures. f. Any other situation which you feel may help you meet the burden of extreme hardship.I hope this helps you understand what you need. My lawyer had us attach as much supporting documentation as we could come up with. If you go back and read some of the other posts I've posted in the last few weeks, you'll find examples of what we included. If you have specific questions, feel free to email me. I'll be glad to help anyway I can. Best of luck and God Bless!
  • edited December 2011
    I know it's been a few days since you posted but if you still need help please email me:  lysandramarie (at) gmail.com.
  • mfp_10mfp_10 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks i already wrote something up and they said it looks fine...I hope it was good enough
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards