Wedding Etiquette Forum

Poll: Litter

What kind of litter do you use? We were looking through the litter aisle today and were a little overwhelmed. We just picked up one bag to use now and figured we'd decide on which kind we'd eventually use for our next bag.

Re: Poll: Litter

• we use the Tidy Cat clumping kind for Multiple cats. It's got a red cover.
    Vacation with Alix, Andy, Mandy, and FLORENCE. AND HER MACHINE.

The Margarita Evolution
  • Tidy Cat multiple cat.  Clumping.Whatever you do, pick one and stick to it.  Cats are picky and changing the litter might mean they get mad and pee/poop outside the box.
    two years!
    after two losses, now happily expecting baby #1 09.16.12
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Brie Fit Blog | BFP Chart
  • Right now we're using Nature's Miracle.  We have also used Ever Clean multi-cat (it is great, but really perfumed -- I didn't like that my cats would smell like it... can't be good for them), and World's Best Cat Litter (which we hate for several reasons).  Nature's Miracle is non-toxic for the kitties, clumps well, is low dust, and has good odor control.  It does track though.If you're looking for natural litter, here are two sets of reviews:[url]http://www.moderncat.net/2008/04/27/natural-cat-litter-comparison/[/url][url]http://www.moderncat.net/2008/11/15/natural-cat-litter-comparison-part-2/[/url]
  • We use Feline Pine. It doesn't clump, but the pine scent completely covers the smell of urine (unless the stupid cat misses the litterbox and pisses on the floor instead.)
  • tidy cats, multiple (we only have one), clumping.
  • I get the 20 pound buckets of tidy cat! Just because... it comes in 20 pound buckets.I used to use the crystals stuff. My cat's not picky about food or litter, thankfully. The crystals work well and keep smelling fresh for a while, but man do they hurt when you step on them in bare feet.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • What kind of litter do you use?I use the toilet, thanks.  ;-)
    The Bee Hive Est. June 30, 2007
    "So I sing a song of love, Julia"

BFAR:We Defined Our Own Success!

• We use Arm and Hammer.  I'm allergic to something in the Fresh Step and we think the Tidy Cat smells more than the A&H. 

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • feline pine. i agree w/ sara it covers the urine smell & it's even flushable.
    Uploaded with ImageShack.us Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks ladies! The bag we picked up today is Tidy Cat non-clumping just because it was cheaper than the clumping. I think we'll change to the clumping next time though.
  • Fresh Step.
  • Is the kitty male or female? I started with Tidy Cat and as my male cat got older, I noticed that it didn't mask the ammonia smell in his urine. I switched over to Fresh Step and that has helped a lot!
  • We tried the world's best litter, and the smell was horrendous. Not from the cats, but from the litter. blech. We just started using Swheat Scoop multicat - it's made with wheat and is another all-natural option. A lot of places recommend against the usual clay-based litters for health reasons. Before that we used the Petco brand. We liked it, but changed for the kitties' health and to try and cut down on the dust.
  • It's a female cat.
  • Non clumping tends to smell pretty bad, and you need to dump the litter and change it totally a lot more frequently.  Try mixing baking soda in--that helps with the smell.Also, make sure you get her spayed!  That will definitely cut down on any unnecessary peeing.
    two years!
    after two losses, now happily expecting baby #1 09.16.12
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Brie Fit Blog | BFP Chart
  • You want clumping. Non-clumping is awful and the litter will become wet and smell like ammonia - it's terrible. I swear by Arm & Hammer clumping litter, it's great. If you don't use Arm & Hammer, get another clumping litter but mix some Arm & Hammer baking soda into to dull out any smell.
  • I've always used Tidy Cats but used to recommend Feline Pine or Yesterday's News for kittens. The pellets make it harder for them to accidentally ingest the litter and get sick, plus the pine/paper will go through their system whereas the clay can clump inside and lead to complications. That being said, I've always used Tidy Cats and not had any issues.A weird thing I've noticed about Tidy Cats though. If you buy it in the jug or the bucket it is wonderful clumping litter that cuts down on smells. If you buy the bag (which is cheaper and less plastic to toss) it won't clump and doesn't take care of odors as well.
  • You can also get dollar off coupons with Arm & Hammer kitty litter online.
  • We will definitely change to clumping after this bag!  This will be her first introduction to a litter box, so I figured I'd probably going to have to change it pretty often anyways.And I'm definitely getting her spayed as soon as she gets old enough.  She's only a month now so we still have a while!
  • Oh and thanks for the baking soda tip.  How much should I add?
  • I add at least a few table spoons and just mix it. I clean Keira's kitty litter every day, sometimes twice a day - by cleaning I mean scooping out the poopies and the urine. I add more litter as needed, but I don't toss out all the little and start over for about 6 weeks to 8 weeks, but that's because I clean it out so often. I also scrub out the litter box itself about every other week.
  • We use Tidy Cats Small spaces
  • Target or Walmart house brand clumping stuff works great.
    imageFollow Me on Pinterest
  • We use arm and hammer.  I forget if it has a specific name, but its in a bright orange box and is for multiple cats.  We have three, and I've found that its the only stuff that completely traps/gets rid of the smell.   A little more expensive than the other brands, but I firmly believe that cat pee smell is not where you try to save a buck.

"Whatever East. You're just mad I RSVP'd "lame" to your pre-wedding sleepover."
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards