Georgia-Atlanta

Buffet Ideas! Heeeellllppp!!!

Hi all!!Well, we have booked our reception location (The Omega Center in Decatur- SUPER CHEAP BTW) and they allow us to bring in outside caterers... We both decided on a buffet and we are having about 200 guest. Now.... I need help with menu ideas and caterer recommendations. Our budget is $2500- $3000 for the food and bar. Please help...  the caterer has to be licensed and insured... We have looked only at a restuarant/catere called "Folks".... any suggestions?Thanks in advance!

Re: Buffet Ideas! Heeeellllppp!!!

• ncohioncohio member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are having the Oakwood Cafe cater our reception. The cheapest option is $6.30 per person and includes a meat and 2 vegetables without any dessert, tea, or dinnerware. The prices go up from there. We are looking at having them do a buffet with 2 meats and 4 sides and sweet tea. I think the price comes to $11.55 per person plus 15% of the total price for them to be there and set everything up etc. If you want a plated meal it is 18%. For us, this comes to around $1700 for everything for 125 people. I think for 200 people it would be well within your budget. The only thing to keep in mind with them is that because they typically do all their business in their restaurant, when they cater, the standard option is paper plates and cups etc. However, they charge $2.50 per place setting for enough real cups, silverware, and plates needed. For me, that was more than I wanted to spend, so I bought my plates and silverware for a lot cheaper (and will be selling them after the wedding). Good luck!
  • ncohioncohio member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Sorry, I meant to say they charge $3.50 per setting for real dinnerware.
  • rzellarrzellar member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Boston Market does catering as well. We are expecting 200ppl and our quote was $3500. Thats for food, service, and upgraded dinnerware (plastic plates, forks, knives, and spoons that look like china and silverware). The food is served in silver chaffing dishes and you will have servers on hand to serve food. They are licensed and insured. E-mail Tracy Avolio, Catering Manager tavolio@bost.com and tell her Renita recommended you.
  • handfast4mehandfast4me member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I did all the food for DDs reception.  We had about 50, which was manageable. And we had sort of an autumn theme, so that might be a consideration. However, here are the food options we did:  I roasted 3 turkey breasts, and got 2 Spiral hams at Sam's, and warmed them the day of.  I made a zuchini and squash medley with onions.  Very easy.  The other thing I did was a baked potato "bar" with the choices of home made gravy, butter, sour cream, bacon crumbles, chives (from my garden), and cheese.  I also put out a large basket of rolls.   For drinks, we did wine, beer, and for a signature "cocktail" a mulled spiced cider which could be served with or without rum.  It's an easy menu.  I think we spent less than 200 on food for 50 people.   The key is that everything, once it's out, ready to serve doesn't need any attention, and there's no pouring of sauce, plating, etc.  Everyone does that themselves.  If a professional company did it, that might be a consideration because they may charge you less than for a plated meal.  Another good choice might be Italian--pastas can be very inexpensive, and are filling.  Just a thought.
    image Don't mess with the old dogs; age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! BS and brilliance only come with age and experience.
  • edited December 2011
    I don't know how formal you want to be, but if you are looking for a more informal feel, don't forget about easy and fun things like taco/nacho bars (Moe's does this for a relatively cheap price), Chick-Fil-A caters their nuggets, sandwiches, and desserts, or some barbecue places will cater pulled pork, etc. We haven't made any definite plans, but we have discussed having a Moe's taco/nacho bar and Starbucks (or someone similar) cater a full-out coffee bar. (Our wedding is New Year's Eve, so I want people to be able to stay up all night!)
  • edited December 2011
    I'm using Simply Southard. www.simplysouthard.com The food is good and she is super cheap. Now I can invite everyone and stay well under my $4k food budget. Her price also includes plates and water goblets.
  • edited December 2011
    You guys are awesome!!! I'm definitely about to research Oakwood Cafe....!Thanks!
  • edited December 2011
    Hey Deidra, you might also want to change your screen name. I've heard some pretty crazy stories of things that happened to ppl that used their entire name in these chat rooms.
  • edited December 2011
    Just looked at Boston Market... Its definitely in the running!
  • rzellarrzellar member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Great I'm glad I could help!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards