Flowers
Options

Single Long Stem Calla Lilies

For my September 2012 ceremony, I have thought about using calla lilies for the bridal party and my bouquet because I love them and they fit with my romantic theme. However, I was thinking about having the girls carry a single long stem calla lily, draped in the crease of their elbow, like the picture below. And then my bouquet would be full calla lilies. They probably won't be white, but mango/orange or a deep red. Do you think this could work or have any other ideas? 

Re: Single Long Stem Calla Lilies

• Options
    lhshraderlhshrader member
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Text reposted...For my September 2012 ceremony, I have thought about using calla lilies for the bridal party and my bouquet because I love them and they fit with my romantic theme. However, I was thinking about having the girls carry a single long stem calla lily, draped in the crease of their elbow, like the picture below. And then my bouquet would be full calla lilies. They probably won't be white, but mango/orange or a deep red. Do you think this could work or have any other ideas? 
  • Options
    edited December 2011

I think it's beautiful!

I'm also using calla lilies, but am going to bundle 3 together and trim short for the bridesmaids. Their's will be a pale yellow.

For myself I am going to use dark purple mini callas.

I'm not doing corsages for my mom or MIL, instead they will each receive one long calla and will carry it like in the picture above.

I'm also giving my flower girls a small calla bouquet to carry.

I had originally thought about leaving the bridesmaids bouquets long, but somewhere along the way I changed my mind.

Best of luck!

• Options
    edited December 2011
  • Options
    L&J2012L&J2012 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't have pictures, but I was in a wedding earlier this month and us bridesmaids carried a single calla lily. The florist convinced the bride to add a branch of hypernicum (sp?) berries so that they didn't look so plain. They were a maroon-type of color. It felt kind of weird just carrying one flower, but it looked nice.

For my wedding, I'm having my bridesmaids carry yellow calla lily bouquets, with the MOH having white and yellow lilies. Then with my bouquet I'm having white callas with some other flowers (I love calla lilies).

It's definitely do-able! Callas are expensive, so having them carry single stems is a good way to incorporate them without racking up too high of a bill.
    Photobucket Anniversary
  • Options
    Maggie0829Maggie0829 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011

FYI...long stem calla lilies like the one's in the pictures only come in white, green and a bi-color which is a white with purple markings.  If you want a mango/orange or deep red calla lily then you will need to use mini calla lilies which will not give you the same affect as the large calla lilies

• Options
    Magdala9Magdala9 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I was a bridesmaid in a wedding where the florist was a no show.  At the last minute, the bridesmaids ran to two local grocery stores and cleaned them out of roses.  Regular flower shops were closed.  We each carried a single white rose while the bride caried a bunch of red roses.  The single flowers looked unfinished.  To finish the look,  we tied beautiful bows onto each single flower. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think it will look gorgeous...but I agree with some type of bow or something on them!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    @midgemoto - Those flowers are gorgeous... are the flowers in your bridesmaids bouquets large or mini callas?
  • Options
    graci67graci67 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    love calla lillies! I think the idea of a single stem flower for the bridal party is a great idea. its simple, cheap and very pretty
  • Options
    WildMageletWildMagelet member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment First Answer
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_flowers_single-long-stem-calla-lilies?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:28Discussion:b94b277f-1ecf-4588-80d6-1f7bade23272Post:a43a3cdb-dfbc-42a3-9163-3f1728dcc7b6">Re: Single Long Stem Calla Lilies</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>I was a bridesmaid in a wedding where the florist was a no show.</strong>  At the last minute, the bridesmaids ran to two local grocery stores and cleaned them out of roses.  Regular flower shops were closed.  We each carried a single white rose while the bride caried a bunch of red roses.  The single flowers looked unfinished.  To finish the look,  we tied beautiful bows onto each single flower. 
    Posted by Magdala9[/QUOTE]

What a nightmare!  At least you guys were able to improvise.
    Formerly known as flutterbride2b
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards