Chinese Weddings

Chinese wedding services, ei: Chinese/English Speaking DJ

My philosophy is that since I can pretty much find any everyday service, like hairstylists, spa packages in Chinatown at a fraction of the price, I should be able to hire wedding services (DJ, photographers, florists) also at a reasonable price. Any thoughts?I am finding it especially challenging to find a multi-lingual DJ (Chinese/English). Has anyone had any luck in this area?

Re: Chinese wedding services, ei: Chinese/English Speaking DJ

• edited December 2011
    I have had no luck finding a chinese/english DJ. We asked his cousin to just head the iPod, or computer, and he freaked out saying he will mess up by playing the wrong songs. Really, I plan on having them played in the order I already set out, but who knows? Maybe I am not skilled enough to make that judgement beforehand.I don't want to pay much of anything for anything, because my venue and catering seem like so much money. I'm also looking for a Chinese photographer. I keep hearing a 6 hour minium service, and that seems so long to me.
    imageimage
  • StuffingStuffing member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi!Sorry to hear you are having so much trouble!  For florist, I have to say I did have some trouble in Chinatown, as I only wanted bouquets done, and some of the florists wanted bigger business before they committed.  I ended up using Susan from Flowerexpression.com.  Her work was very nice, she was awesome, and I thought the price was reasonable.  Unfortunately, she has since closed her shop, but she still has her website and will still do wedding flowers.I hired DJ and MC through Sang Along, and I thought they were great!  Some of their MC speak both Mandarin and Cantonese, some just one of them.  I think a lot of the couples on this site used them.  I heard good reviews for Chinese MC too, but I cannot remember if they have DJ only services.  Hope this helps!
  • clearheavensclearheavens member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    How much for hair stylists in Chinatown?  I wish I had a Chinatown.  I live in Ohio.
    Follow Me on Pinterest

BabyFruit Ticker
  • lingdesignslingdesigns member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks so much for the tip! I live in New York and am getting married in South Jersey because both my fiance and I grew up there and our families are still there. And it looks like they do travel that far! I'll check them out. Thanks again!
  • seevictoriaseevictoria member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I recommend you to talk to Steve. He's the MC of my best friend's wedding reception in Linden Place, Flushing, New York. Great voice and sense of humor. He provided thorough communication with everyone in the bridal party to ensure a good show that evening. He knew how to get people in the spirit. We had three games that evening and all were fun, clean, meaningful and beautiful to watch. He had done very well in balancing the language needs of the chinese and english-speaking guests.  Here is his email from his card: redweddings@yahoo.com
  • lingdesignslingdesigns member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you so much! I am going to pay them a visit tomorrow. I was actually concerned that if I was to get a Cantonese-speaking DJ, I'd have to settle for someone who isn't very fluent in English. I would like to accommodate my fiance and his guests as well as my own English-speaking guests. I also want someone fun, but not rowdy. Did you get a good experience with him? Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards