Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

Irish Traditions?

I'm getting married on January 1st which is supposed to be the best day to get married according to Irish lore. Any ideas for bringing this into our wedding? My fiancee and I are both part-Irish.

Re: Irish Traditions?

• I'm also trying to incorporate a few Irish traditions into our wedding since Fi is Irish. One simple one that I found has the bride carrying a horseshoe down the aisle. I was thinking having a mini one hidden in my bouquet. A great site is:http://www.ireland-information.com/articles/irishweddingtraditions.htmNot sure how fmil would feel about this one that is listed:* If the bride's mother-in-law breaks a piece of wedding cake on the bride's head as she enters the house after the ceremony, they will be friends for life.
  • Hi there!  Just be careful about what a lot of the "resources" --especially those on the knot, say about Irish, or Celtic traditions--most are actually Scottish, such as the Kilt, bagpipes, etc.  There are tartans for the Irish, but in Ireland the tartans are by county.  In Scotland, they're by family name, which is why there's a ceremony of the pinning of the tartan to welcome the spouse to the family.  Also, I've been hounding the Knot for a couple of years about a Celtic Bride's board.  I'm thinking that if there's a need for a Gothic board, and some of the other cultural boards, there's a need for us to have our own board!  So, perhaps we should start a campaign!  
    image Don't mess with the old dogs; age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! BS and brilliance only come with age and experience.
  • StageManager--what kind of things did you use in your wedding? Irish prayers, etc?  Just curious. Trying to incorporate several heritages into one event...
    Crosswalk
  • as many times as this question gets asked you would really think the knot would make a Celtic board :(  I think it would get more traffic than some of the specialty boards they did make :(
  • I second a pagan board, that would be awesome
    ~Erin~
    proud pagan
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • We're incorporating alot of irish/celtic traditions into our wedding as well. We're having a handfasting ceremony, the loving cup ceremony instead of the toast at the reception, FI wearing a kilt with all of the kids in matching tartan (It's called the Heritage of Scotland) as he is Scottish and I am Irish.  My dress is blue, I'm wearing a horseshoe necklace, we're using Irish wedding vows, having an Irish Celi band for the reception and a piper to pipe us into the reception, our menu is all Irish/Welsh/Scottish/Celtic food (our caterer supplies the food for the local Irish Heritage Festival), we're using two different Celtic knots for paper goods, one being a love knot and the other just a round celtic knot. I think that there is alot that you can do, but again I don't know if it's ALL Irish as much as a combination of the many different customs in that area over the centuries.  We're saying its an Irish/Celtic Handfasting ceremony and everyone is very interested in seeing what we have planned! Alot of info in my bio.. Good luck and Happy planning!  
  • How do you go about requesting a board?
    ~Erin~
    proud pagan
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Stage, I figured you had somebody in mind.  :-)  We Pagans are a tough group to control, though, what with that whole devil worship thing.  LOL!!!!
    image Don't mess with the old dogs; age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! BS and brilliance only come with age and experience.
  • I would say put a little blurb in the program or near a flower arrangement if you are having a guest sign in table. Good luck!
  • Our monogram included a claddagh, which we then included on our invitations, programs and menus.[IMG]http://i35.tinypic.com/8zh1g6.jpg[/IMG]We purchased some Irish crystal toasting flutes (not Waterford, though) from a Celtic storeWe included a handfasting in our wedding ceremony.We also did a stone blessing during our ceremony, which, to my knowledge, isn't specifically Irish, but still has that Celtic feel to it. Each of our guests got a river rock and a slip of paper on their chair. At a certain point in the ceremony everyone blessed their stone and wrote down their wish. We're displaying the stones in a vase, and I'm making a scrapbook using all of our wishes.I used white roses and hydrangeas in the bouquets, bouts and centerpieces, which are both found abundantly in Ireland.We also played a lot of Irish music and pub songs during the dinner portion of our reception.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Congrats to both my TTC buddies, Amberley18 and sb2006 on their beautiful babies!
  • It was actually my officiant's idea. I had come across it before but know that usually you toss the stones into water, preferably moving water. We didn't have access to any water, so I couldn't figure out how it would work.Everybody loved it, and now we have all these cool wishes to read. Some of them are dorky like "may your shoelaces never come untied" and "may your children be strapping" but a lot are really sweet.[IMG]http://i35.tinypic.com/b6o8rr.jpg[/IMG]
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Congrats to both my TTC buddies, Amberley18 and sb2006 on their beautiful babies!
  • l
    DX: PCOS age 14
    1st Clomid cycle ?July 2012 **BFN**
    2nd Clomid cycle- August 2012 - 100mg and HCG injection **BFN** Anniversary
    My Ovulation Chart
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards