Rhode Island

Reasonably priced Newport venue?

Hello ladies...I put up this post yesterday but it seems to have disappeared because I don't see it anymore so hopefully you all don't mind me asking again..

I really really want to have our wedding in Newport since 95% of our guests are coming from far away and it just seems like such an awesome place to spend the weekend.  The problem is so many of the Newport venue are outrageously priced and we can't afford it.  I was wondering if any of you had any other suggestions for venues?  There are the places that we have looked at that either have not worked out due to price or another reason:

Eastons
Eisenhower house
Atlantic Beach Club
Hyatt
Oceancliff- too expensive
Newport Yachting Center

Anyone have any other suggestions????

Re: Reasonably priced Newport venue?

• Codi-BaileyCodi-Bailey member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Most places are pretty expensive in Newport. Our venue is Easton's but it's on a Thursday, so that helps a TON. Have you thought about getting married during the week? I'm in the same situation as you. Everyone will be coming from very far away, so they are making a vacation out of it. That's why we're doing it on a Thursday. Good luck!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    I think Easton's may be your best bet... we looked at it in our venue search and it's really a blank slate that you can do as much or as little with as you'd like.  You can also control expenses better because you can bring in yoru own caterer and choose what decor you want to go with. 
  • edited December 2011
    I am having my wedding at Glen Manor. It is not in Middletown but is on the same island as Newport. I found Glen to be cheaper priced then the Mansions of Newport as well as Oceancliff. I really like that it is right on the water and more secluded then the Newport mansions. You also get the place for the whole day rather than just a few hours. It does have a site rental fee of about $6,500 for a Saturday summer wedding but you provide your own catering so you have more options on how to keep the food prices reasonable. Also, the Glen rents out their table and chairs and the prices are the most reasonable I have found.

Of course all of the venues and vendors are much cheaper if you are willing to have your wedding on a Friday or Sunday and/or in the off season. I am an out of state bride so this option just wasn't very practical for me.

Good Luck!
  • edited December 2011
    Thank you all for your suggestions.  Unfortunately, Eastons won't work for us since my best friend had her wedding there only a few months ago.  I didn't want to replicate her wedding, although it is a beautiful place.  I haven't looked into Glen Manor but I will- thanks for the suggestion.

Do any of you know much about Regatta Place?  It seems maybe more affordable than Oceancliff?
  • hollygb22hollygb22 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    When we got engaged I couldn't imagine getting married any other place than newport. Our issue was finding a date that worked. You've hit most of the major places in Newport.

If you have a smaller wedding you could do something a little non traditional like The Newport Art Museum?

The only other place we looked at that you didn't mention was the Hotel Viking. I thought for a place with no view that the prices were high.

You might want to check Bristol...we looked at Linden Place, Blithewood over there.
  • lwolf2001lwolf2001 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Why didnt you like Hyatt if you dont mind me asking?
  • edited December 2011

Thanks guys, didnt think this would be so difficult.  I liked the Hyatt but they didnt have many dates available for when we were looking but that was a few months ago so I need to revisit them again.  I stayed at the Hyatt for a friend's wedding in Sept and had some issues with the room, etc.- minor issues though, not enough to totally reject the place.  It's a beautiful place and will still consider it.  I will check out Newport Art Museum, thanks for the tip...

• RoyalOrientRoyalOrient member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    May I suggest some less traditional venues such as the International Yacht Restoration School (IYRS) l in Newport. It will work for a nautica theme wedding and the prices are in line with Easton Beach Rotunda. My only issue with them is that you have to rent tables and chair which maybe an additional cost. Here are pixs from a wedding held there.
    http://www.faithdugan.com/category/iyrs/

There is also Herreshoff Marine Museum in Bristol, R.I. It's not Newport but still closeby. The area is equally beautiful and picturesque. I think their rates are really good. They have a tented outdoor space that can dock boats and it can accommodate up to 250 people. They also have other vent space for smaller groups. Again both are great spaces by the water. You might also be open to Linden Place but I don't rec. no more than 125 people. The charming historial venue is in the heart of the town. One last place I suggest would be Mount Hope Farm (also in Bristol). The last two venues are very popular on this board. G.L
  • RoyalOrientRoyalOrient member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh I forgot what about the International Tennis Hall of Fame? After seeing pictures from J. Corbett Photography.

http://www.corbettphotography.net/index.php#mi=2&pt=1&pi=10000&s=0&p=16&a=0&at=0

www.tennisfame.com
  • edited December 2011
    I also had my heart set on Newport because I went to school there and spent my summers there ever since I was little. However, I fell in love with the Glen Manor as pp mentioned. You should also check out Forty-One North, the Newport Harbor Hotel and Greenvale Vineyards (Portsmouth). I have a TON of information on all venues Newport as I was dead set on getting married there. HTH!
  • edited December 2011
    I agree with many of the previous posts-try going with a Fri/Sun or a weekday if the Fri/Sun prices are still too much. I'm doing a weekday wedding at Astors'. I'd estimate that I'm saving around $25000 by doing a weekday. Our families are all traveling as well so we were fine with the weekday since everyone is making it a vacation. Our catering package is 1/4-1/3 of the packages for weekend weddings. We were able to negotiate some extras like upgraded linens, more meal options etc. We also got a decent discount on photography, DJ, ceremony music, transportation, and of course the site rental fee. Weekday weddings are basically bonus income for those in the wedding industry-they don't expect to work during the week, so you're able to get way more bang for your buck. Good luck!
  • edited December 2011
    Did you look at the marriott?
    Nine-Ten Siggy Challenge: Favorite Picture of FI and Me!
    imageimage

Wedding Countdown Ticker
    204image 138image 41image 25image RSVP August 18

• edited December 2011
    Not to steer you away from Newport, but the hotels there are pretty expensive, and most require a two-night stay.  If your guests are coming from out of town (flying in?) they might not want to stay in Newport.  We had almost all OOT guests, and we chose a holiday weekend.  Those who wanted to visit the area had the time to.  Attending a wedding gets expensive when you have to fly, have kids, etc.  Are you looking for a summer date?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • MrkyrainMrkyrain member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I had my wedding at Regatta place this past summer.  I loved it!!!  We did a Friday night which was a little cheaper.  It is much more reasonable priced than Ocean Cliff even though they are owned by the same company.  Please feel free to ask me any questions.  
  • AngieP900AngieP900 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I second the poster who mentioned IYRS (I am a former student). The shop doesn't look like much but they make wonders happen in there.

One of my favorite venues in Newport that no one uses is the Newport Art Museum. I wanted to have my wedding there but our guest list was just a touch too big to chance it. It is very reasonable and beautiful.
    For less then ten cents a day, you can feed a hungry child.
  • edited December 2011
    Thank you all for your advice!  You gave me a lot of great options.  I live in Texas but my mom is going to look at a bunch of places this weekend and hopefully we will have our decision soon.  I'll keep you posted! :)
  • KrsdloveKrsdlove member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi, I am a new bride and a local wedding planner, I have been planning weddings in Newport for over 8 years and it is a beautiful location for a destination wedding. If you have your heart set on Newport stick to it!  There are so many opportunities to host your wedding, depending on your estimated guest count, date and time of the year...prices will vary. Some venues that do offer catering, china, tables and chairs are much more cost effective if you are flexible on the date. Try taking a look at gonewport.com for some venue suggestions. If you have any questions please do not hesitate to message me. Best to you and enjoy the planning!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards