Ohio-Toledo

Suggestions for cake, dj, flowers? Also, a note for plus size brides.

I have decided on venues (Space 237 and The Park Inn) and found my dress but now I am need of some suggestions on cake, a dj and flowers. My fiance and I have a pretty small budget so we are going for CHEAP. For the cake, our reception venue ( The Park Inn ) requires licensed vendors, but I think the going rate of over $2+/pp is ridiculous! Am I crazy? Is this not as expensive as it sounds?  On a different note, if there are any plus size brides that would like reccomedations on where to go/where not to go for a dress, let me know. As a size 26-30 (depending on designer), dress shopping was a nightmare. I swear I went to almost every store in a 2.5 hour radius of Toledo (went to Cleveland, Detroit, Lansing, etc), so let me know if you want my suggestions!

Re: Suggestions for cake, dj, flowers? Also, a note for plus size brides.

• edited December 2011
    I'm not quite sure about local cake shops/bakery (new to the area) but, I have heard that many budget brides are using "fake" cakes (except the top layer is real for you to cut) and then they have sheet cakes in the back that are actually served for the guests... I went to a wedding end of summer and the bride recently informed me that their cake was completely fake -- I had NO CLUE -- couldn't tell at all... Maybe that's something to look into? Costco even has pretty darn good sheet cakes!!! We are going with Ultimate Nights for DJ -- I thought their prices were very reasonable (and lower by 100 -150 then some of the other DJs).... Some DJs will cut you a deal if you pay in full when you book-- Class Act will give $100 off if you pay in full when you book...Park Inn will be beautiful -- I stayed there this summer after a wedding at the The Event Center... Nice hotel!
  • edited December 2011
    Oh, and if you go to the bridal shows in the area, DJs will give you some good hook ups there to.. I attended one and they had my email address -- I got $50 off of services which is always a help! Some were giving around $100 off if you booked that day of bridal show (Sound of Music) or within 10 days of the bridal show (Ultra Sound Special Events)....
  • edited December 2011
    I am also getting married at the park inn. The cake lady I am using is Paula Daugherty, the cake was really good & she is about 2 dollars per person. Her website is www.toledoweddengcakes.com as far as a dj we are using ultimate nights, they have worked at the park inn before and knew the setup. Plus we were able to get a discount from them for booking during the off season, I know they give some good deals if you book during a wedding show too. I too am a plus-size bride and I couldn't find anything around here or in michigan. I ended up going to the bridal district in cincinnati. The one shop had a huge variety of dresses to try on. I was so happy to be able to actually try on a dress without them just using clothes pins to try to show you what it looks. Where were you able to find a dress?
  • edited December 2011
    I ended up getting my dress in Lansing at Fantastic Finds. They didn't have a HUGE selection, but what they had was gorgeous. (My dress: http://www.ellabridals.com/dress.php?id=37) I felt super comfortable around the sales woman as well, which is always a plus. ----I have considered the fake cake option but I wasn't sure where to go for those. Do most bakeries have that option?
  • edited December 2011
    For cake, Kristy from the Bake Shop is fantastic.  That's who we're using.  Her prices start at 1.10 a slice and the cakes look really great.  She's located in Fayette, Ohio.  I have contact info for her that I can find if you want it.
  • edited December 2011
    Oh, and for flowers, Sharry's Touch and Pollynn Flowers are both food, inexpensive options.  Both are recommended on this board pretty frequently.I met with both and ended up going with Pollynn.  Her website is www.pollynn.com, her contact info is on there.If you want Sharry's phone number, I can get it for you, but again, don't have it on hand right now.
  • edited December 2011
    I used Pollynn (loved her) and Kristy from the Bake Shop (delicious) and used Ultimate Nights (awesome). There are some photos in my planning bio I believe of both cake and flowers:)
  • edited December 2011
    Here are the numbers in case you're interested:Sharry's Touch (flowers): 419-866-5045The Bake Shop:  419-237-2393
  • edited December 2011
    I'm pretty sure we're going with The Bake Shop also, very good taste and amazing price ($1.10/serving)!Our DJ is Rusty Sheeks of Tonight's Entertainment. He was recommended by my cousin's photographer. He's a nice guy, his equipment is good, and he's really good at getting your guests involved. I can't remember exactly how many years experience he has, but I know it's over 10, and he's charging $450. Before you book a DJ, try to look them up on BBB.org! There's one DJ company in Toledo that is really cheap, but they have an F!!
  • edited December 2011
    We used Sihasi DJ. Mark Simon did our wedding. I was very happy with him.  I was at a wedding yesterday and they did the sheet cake in the kitchen and a very small cake to cut - no one knew or cared about the switch.  They just wanted to eat cake! I had Kristys cake at a bridal show - it was great and looked awesome.
  • MerinMerin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would also recommend both Kristy at the Bake Shop (cake) and Sharry with Sharry's touch (flowers). They were both VERY reasonably priced and really awesome at what they do. Our DJ was The Class Act and we were very pleased with them as well. Very professional, really friendly & easy to work with, excellent equipment and good pricing.
    Causes that are important to me: Planned Pethood Graham's Foundation NOCC
  • edited December 2011
    How much did Space 237 cost for the ceremony?  We've been looking all over and I actually just emailed them today about having the ceremony there.  I can't wait to hear more, especially how it goes for you there!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Love one another and you will be happy. It's as simple and as difficult as that. --Michael Leunig-- Planning Bio
  • edited December 2011
    SIHASI SOUNDS AND IMAGES!!!  http://sihasi.50megs.com/
  • edited December 2011
    Give Rusty Sheeks a call.  He's an excellent DJ.  I met him over 8 years ago through a friend, referred him to a couple of friends who both used him and now we've booked him.  His price for 5 hours is $450 with a $50 deposit and if you need more time, it's $75/hr.  He's out of Bowling Green and we're getting married and having our reception at Maumee Bay and he doesn't consider that out of town like some of the other DJ's in Toledo do. His number is 419-494-6228.
  • edited December 2011
    Space 237 is *I think* 150/hr with a 3 hour minimum. That includes a 1 hour rehearsal the day before. If you want set up/take down time its 75/hr. Also, you have to rent your own chairs. They have more info on their website. I'm getting married July 10 and I'm sure I'll post a review! Let me know if you end up getting married there and we can share decorating ideas.
  • edited December 2011
    To clarify -- you have to get 3 hours but then they give an hour rehearsal for free.
  • edited December 2011
    We are using michaels catering and they are also a baker- but i have been told their prices are outrageous- so i have been checking into a few other places.Dj-Decorative sounds (Mike)- He is great!! I have been at a handful of weddings that he DJ'd and it was a blast!FLowers- Bueautiful Blooms by Jen (Jen Cummins) She is so nice to work with- will work on a budget as well!! :)
  • edited December 2011
    Jamie at Bokay Boutique is awesome for flowers and she is really easy to work with. She does everything for you once you tell her the place. She also does chair covers. Her website is www.bokayboutique.vpweb.com. Give her a call...she will work with what you need. Good luck

As far as a dress...I found mine at Davids bridal and they had a pretty good selection of plus size and can order other dresses in that size.
  • edited December 2011
    I am also getting married at the Park Inn...Netty (the banquet director) is amazing!
  • Think twice before using Bokay Boutique!! (owner, Jamie Venable). We went with BB upon recommendation from a friend. The owner, Jamie, was the person we worked with (It is my belief she is the solo florist at BB) Jamie and I had agreed on all of the flowers (we only used her to do our bouquets, bouts and corsages) days before the wedding in specific detail.. even exchanging photos so that there would be a clear understanding of what we wanted for our flower selections/design. What we received the day of our wedding was far from what was represented. She made my bouquet with dark pink poenies (I had specified the pale, pale pink ones). My bouquet looked like something a child would carry (color and size wise).. It was not much larger than a volleyball. For $140, i certainly expected better sizeability! My 2 attendants bouquets were brown and dying upon delivery (they primarily consisted of green hydrangeas). Last, 4 of the 6 bouts she made fell apart upon pinning them on (one was my husband to be's bout). By the time all of this happened, it was far too late to contact the owner to remedy our issues. A few days after the wedding, she made an offer of $55 of the total of nearly $400 (we requested a 50% refund) as and for compensation for the less than professional job she did on our flowers. She told us that that that was her "final offer" and that we would have to take her to court before a magistrate before she would negotiate more. No way it is worth the time, my energy, and any more of our money to get our point across. It appeared as though she had basically "given up" on our order (she had complained that she had 2 other weddings the same day as ours and that she had been up til 4am finishing up). My mother, sister and others commented at what a skimpy presentation the flowers were. She was fairly pleasant to work with in the planning phase but was an absolute nightmare to deal with when I confronted her with our complaints about her shoddy work. With all time and money that went into the planning and wedding itself, her work was the only (thank goodness) that was substandard. My husband and I are just not willing to continue to chase her anymore, or spend another single dollar, for what we feel would be fair compensation. Bad Karma, bokay boutique. Just beware... If people (myself and others) are spending time posting less than complimentary reviews that is a huge indicator! Jamie got off easy when we made the decision not to pursue a legal remedy (my husband and I are both self employed attorneys and know from experience who and what is worth pursuing and $500 isn't woth it) but one of these days she won't be so lucky.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards