Honeymoon Discussions
Options

Carnival cruise booked!

Booked our carnival cruise yesterday-- leaving NYC going to St. Thomas, San Juan, and Grand Turk! Anyone go on a similar cruise before? Any tips/ suggestions on excursions? Thanks! :)
BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Carnival cruise booked!

• Options
    Have a wonderful time. I have done a similar cruise before and it was awesome! If you get the chance, the snorkling on Grand Turk was amazing!
  • Options
    We went on a cruise out of NYC a few years ago on the Carnival Miracle -- it went to St. Thomas, San Juan, and Tortola (although we went to Grand Turk on a diff cruise).... all were fantastic! St. Thomas we rented a car for the day. We did snorkeling at Coki Beach (I believe that's what it was called) and then spent the rest of the day at Meagan's Bay. San Juan we just visited El Morro. On another trip when we just went to San Juan separately we loved hanging out at the beach at our hotel, but I'm not sure if you can do that if you're not a hotel guest?Grand Turk, we didn't love the beach. But right by where you dock there are shops and a Jimmy Buffet's which has a really nice pool! We did a swim with the dolphin's excursion in Tortola, even if you aren't going there see if they offer this excursion at another port you are visiting -- it was one of the most memorable things I have ever done. FI had a blast too.

• Options
    In St. Thomas, try to get some time in St. John instead. Also use cruisecritic.com to explore excursions without using the boat's services. They are usually longer and less expensive.I have two packing tips:1) Pack a small power strip. The rooms are always seriously lacking in power outlets.2) Pack a small alarm clock. The rooms typically don't have one and some days you get to port quite early.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    We've gone on a number of Carnival cruises and always have a fabulous time! What ship are you on? We always book interior rooms, but on two or our cruises we've been upgraded to balcony suites about a week before the cruise. Carnival is great that way. :) We went to San Juan, St. Thomas, and St. Maarten on one cruise. I didn't like St. Maarten much (all shopping, crowded, not particularly pretty), but St. Thomas and San Juan were absolutely stunning. We were in San Juan at night on Christmas Day. Everyone was partying in the streets near the water and there were some beautiful little restaurants and cafes. We wound up back in the old area and it was so old and full of character.. Actually, now that I think about it, perhaps we should go there for our honeymoon. :) In St. Thomas we did a shopping/beach excursion. We shopped for a few hours, which was interesting, but you'll find the same few stores repeated over and over. For instance, you'll find the same jeweller on every block. There were chickens wandering everywhere downtown, which was a new experience for us.. Most of the shopping malls had open air ceilings, and there were green anoles (lizards) everywhere. The beach was at a resort and was great. There were pelicans swimming nearby (I'm really into wildlife, so it's always the first thing I notice).Ah, sorry, I'm rambling.. I love cruises.. I'm not the lounge on the beach type, so a cruise is great because you're never in one place long enough to get bored..Also, if you drink at all try the blue margaritas on the ship. They're phenomenal and for some reason or another they're unlike any other I've ever had. :) One of my favourite memories ever is lounging on the deck at 11pm on my birthday, drinking margaritas and watching some stupid comedy movie.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I have been on a TON of cruises, 11 of which were Carnival.  And I have been on that itinerary, or very close to it.  I could go on and on, but the very best advice I can give you is to go to cruisecritic dot com and sign up (it is free) and you can go to the message boards.  There you can find out anything and everything and more than you will ever need to know about cruising.  It is addicting, just to warn you, WAY worse than these boards.  LOL.  You should be able to find a Roll Call for the ship and date you are cruising and can chat before hand with others going on your cruise, which is always fun because they are as excited as you.  Many times, we have met up with those we "met" on roll calls.  My mom has remained friends with many of those she met and one of them is actually coming to my wedding....sorry, got off topic.  Go to the site and have a blast.  You won't regret it!!!  Have a great trip.  Go to Margaritaville in Grand Turk, you will LOVE St. Thomas and I usually just do a bit of shopping on the streets in San Juan and then get back on the ship.  Having the ship all to yourself on a day at port is the best.  Great specials for the spa and you have the pools and hot tubs all to yourselves!!!!  Have a blast, I know you will...
  • Options
    One more thing, if you have a balcony cabin, bring a bungee cord to keep the door open at night. Nothing is better than sleeping on a moving ship with the breeze and hearing the waves of the ocean.  One step further, the beds are two twins together, grab one and put it on the balcony and sleep out there.  It is the best!!!!  Are you "suppose" to do either of these things?  Most likely not, but who is gonna tell???
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards