Texas-Dallas and Ft. Worth
Options

Passports

I was looking into passports and the official site said that right now most applicants are getting their passports in 4 to 6 weeks.Has that been most people's experience?FI and I are still hoping to go on a cruise in early January, and I was wondering if we apply next week if there would be a chance that we wouldn't get them in time? I know that there's an option to get them expedited, but that's another $60 a person, so I'd prefer not to do that if we don't have to.TIA!

Re: Passports

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Oh, and I know that some cruise lines and ports only require the passport card, but the one we want to go on requires a regular passport.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Haha, and by FI, I meant DH : )
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    It took my FI and I 6 weeks to get ours in. We ordered them toward the end of May and had them by the beginning of July.
    June 2011 Siggy Challenge: My Dress
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    pphqt10pphqt10 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    You can get them really fast it just depends on what you want to pay... 5 days before we left for the dominican I lost mine so I had my passport papers overnighted to houston then expedited through paperwork then overnighted back. I have heard recently that they put an office in Dallas. If you go there and do it personally it should be really fast as well. I think normal expedited process is about 2 weeks and costs an extra $60
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yea, the site says that it takes about 2 to 3 weeks if you do it expedited. But we'd have a little over eight weeks if we do it this week - so the site is pretty accurate and they'll come in 4 to 6 weeks then I'd hate to spend another $120, if we don't have to...We aren't even sure whether we are going to be able to go, but we want to be prepared if it works out that we can.
  • Options
    pphqt10pphqt10 member
    edited December 2011
    yeah I would definately not expedite them with that amount of time, look up and see if there is an office here in Dallas, that would ease my worry
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    There is a list of all the places that you can apply on the site, it looks like most big post offices and county courts have passport services, so we'd just have to swing over to Denton to put in the application.
  • Options
    pphqt10pphqt10 member
    edited December 2011
    well you can do the app anywhere but the only processing place was in houston, I just recently heard there was a processing place opening in Dallas (there are only like 6 in the country) If there is one in dallas it would guarantee the return time
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Oh okay, I see what you are saying, I'll look into that : )
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    This time of year you should have NO problem getting them to you. I applied for mine last year the week of Thanksgiving and had it by the 2nd week of December. It is low travel season so you should be fine. Do it first thing next week. I filled out everything online, took it to the passport office, and got my pic taken at Walgreens. It is seamless.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Whatever you end up doing, I hope it goes well. I had an experience from hell getting my passport 2 years ago. I don't think it is anything you'll run into, but in took 9 months, 3 applications, multiple calls to the post office, and the intervention of our local state representative. And now my original passport and original birth certificate are floating out somewhere in space too...had to order a new birth certificate.Bottom line--don't forward your mail.
    Click Here for Bio Image and video hosting by TinyPic Married June 12, 2010!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yea, I'm having issues now with mail not getting forwarded. A couple of wedding gifts got lost and now the CDs of my wedding photos are floating around somewhere.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards