New York-New York City

Are STDs necessary?

Hi everyone, I originally planned on sending STDs out about 6 months before my wedding, because it seemed like STDs were just par for the course. However, my cousin, who has attended many many NYC weddings, told me that she very rarely has received a STD for an NYC wedding. So my question is, are STDs necessary? We don't have a ton of people coming in from out of state; I would say most people live either in one of the 5 boroughs or on Long Island. There are some relatives on FIs side coming in from Israel and California, but they already know the date. I also don't think we're doing hotel blocks, if that makes a difference...Thanks for any input!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Are STDs necessary?

• edited December 2011
    I would only use one, outside of OOT guests, if your wedding is going to take place over a holiday weekend.  Some folks might want a heads up so as not to make other plans. Also, you can always send out a STD without spending money.  I am sending out e-cards, which links to our website.  Though I have only a handful of OOTs, it is on a holiday weekend and many of my friends have little kids, so they have plenty of notice so as not to plan any vacations and to look for sitting services for their little ones.  And by having my STD linked with my website, which has a lot of info and registry stuff, it's less work for me to try and get the word out on things.  Some folks like sending them just because; don't feel like you have to; it's another area you can save money.  GL.
  • edited December 2011
    honestly, I'm always a fan of STDs and September is a very popular month, they may not be necessary but I would try to do them.
    Helene (Nova726)'s book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) Follow Me on Pinterest
  • edited December 2011
    we didn't do a save the date.  i'm not a fan of bombarding people with stuff just for the sake of doing it.  i don't think it's necessary.  but it's a personal preference.
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickersDaisypath Thanksgiving tickersphoto 307df189-2dc4-4bea-9b76-9ac6ceda8155_zps59ea37ee.jpgphoto c779d75a-0807-4fcc-b206-432ab43bdb6d_zpsf12ebd56.jpg
  • edited December 2011
    it's definitely not necessary, but it *is* nice to give people some advance notice. i am sending one via email and just printing it out to mail to those few folks without email. i would say that i have received save the dates for about half of the local weddings i've been invited to.
  • edited December 2011
    My friends are notoriously BUSY, especially during the summer when my wedding is happening -- other weddings, trips, gigs, you name it. So even though I'm doing a NYC wedding, we're sending stds. You could just send postcards, though. Or even an email; they're not against etiquette for a std.
  • edited December 2011
    In my opinion.. Not at all. We didn't send them to anyone, and not everyone was aware of the date in advance. Not even the people coming from abroad. They all made it. The only ones who didn't, we knew without a doubt, couldn't.
  • tucci013tucci013 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Mmany of our guests were coming from out of town and our wedding was in August (a heavy travel month) so we did it.  We made adorable magnets and I'm so glad we decided to go for it.
    August 2012's May Siggy challenge: Favorite TV mom:
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic BabyFruit Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • edited December 2011
    Bottom line, you'll have to decide for yourself (based upon your date, etc.) if STDs work for you.  From what you've stated, it looks like you're whether you use them or not.
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for all the responses everyone. I am thinking that the STDs will either be cut out, or will be something very inexpensive. I originally thought that they  should match the invitation, which would be much more expensive, but now I don't really think I care whether they match or not. So basically, if I can figure out a cheap way to do them, they'll be done! Maybe they'll be my first DIY project...Thanks for the help!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards